• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Release Dark Sun for 3.5 D&D: the petition

jesterjeff

First Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages, I give you what you want and what we deserve. Please read this and sign were provided. If you wish to take it to the real world for signatures, please go only to rpg groups game stores, and comic shops. When you recieve as many as you dsire, please email me for my address. I will collect all petitions and signatures and deliver them to the appropriate individuals.This is our chance to show our support of this great setting. Good luck to us all.

Jeff Lawson

http://www.petitiononline.com/darksun3/petition.html

velm

First Post
Fairly interesting, the story of TSR, that is. I learned a LOT in the past few days about the company. From the standpoint of WOTC, it makes perfect sense to stop alot of the product lines that TSR did. As great, and as much fun as some of those lines were, it is not a good idea to branch out like they did. The following is a quote from an article about TSR:

"Unfortunately for Williams and TSR, this strategy, while presenting the initial appearance of success, is actually a strategy for long-term loss. The marketing term is "Brand Extension," but Bill Slavicsek director of RPGs, miniatures and R&D at Wizards of the Coast, just calls it the "Many Buckets" theory."

""Picture it this way," Slavicsek says, "it's raining money outside and you want to catch as much of it as you can. You can either make a really big bucket or waste your time and attention by creating a lot really small buckets -- either way, you're never going to make more rain." In plain English, TSR, by putting out a lot of product lines instead of supporting the main Dungeons & Dragons line, fragmented the marketplace. The same audience was giving the same amount of money to TSR every year, which had taken on the additional financial burden of creating, producing, and supporting hundreds of products. It needed to grow the marketplace, and these brand extensions weren't doing that.

The many settings also contributed to something called "Brand Dilution." The original Dungeons & Dragons brand stood for something. You knew essentially what you were getting when you bought a D&D product. All of these new settings began to play havoc with the rule sets and philosophy of the game. As the settings grew more popular, they began to diverge from one another, advancing along their chosen philosophical paths, essentially becoming their own separate games. "

It came from PC.gamespy.com.

Now, if another company would step up, like WhiteWolf with Ravenloft, then that is fine. I cannot see WOTC branching off with all those worlds anymore.

Acid_crash

First Post
I think this is a great idea, for the petition. I am number 649 on the signature list, and I feel good about it. Dark Sun is one of my all time favorite worlds, and the Dragon/Dungeon articles on the world do the world no justice whatsoever. They should have gotten the folks of athas.org to write those articles. Their stuff on DS3 so far is really good.

I want WotC to give another company the go ahead to write it, like they did with Ravenloft and S&SS and Dragonlance with Sov Press. Dark Sun deserves it.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I wouldnt mind seeing a nice hardbound campaign book with a nice fold out map being published.

I dont want it to be a new line of products... just one well done book.

Like the Ghostwalk book

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Wrathamon said:
I wouldnt mind seeing a nice hardbound campaign book with a nice fold out map being published.

I dont want it to be a new line of products... just one well done book.

Like the Ghostwalk book

And we know how well that sold.....
I loved darksun at the time, it was one of the few non-homebrew games I have run, but a lot of the crunch was bad - the actual preserver process and psionics , not to mention the ridiclus possiblilties of a 20 str Thri-Kreen +4/+8 with 4 claw attacks, being on equal other characters, much of which has been fixed - although half-gaints seem to have changed unrecogizably.
Is it worth trying to turn back the clock?

reanjr

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
And we know how well that sold.....
I loved darksun at the time, it was one of the few non-homebrew games I have run, but a lot of the crunch was bad - the actual preserver process and psionics , not to mention the ridiclus possiblilties of a 20 str Thri-Kreen +4/+8 with 4 claw attacks, being on equal other characters, much of which has been fixed - although half-gaints seem to have changed unrecogizably.
Is it worth trying to turn back the clock?

2e was pretty balanced over long-term career. The Thri-Kreen really started to suffer in later levels due to no magic items.

Similar to how wizards would get whomped at lower levels, but then take anything at higher.

And 3e has gone a long way towards fixing those issues, anyway, so I would say now is the best to time to get something like this going.

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
I'm all for a 3e Dark Sun, but I won't add my name to this poll now that I realize it's for the athas.org crew. Don't get me wrong, their conversions are great. But there is a certain lack of professionalism to their designs and their products. Not to mention I think it would take the hand of God to get them to hit a deadline.

They are a great fan-based conversion site, but I don't think they can do with Dark Sun what the Kargatane did with Ravenloft.

I would much rather see some company pick up the license that would use the athas.org people as possible consultants, since they have more experience dealing with Dark Sun "customers" than anyone else.

zorlag

First Post
-

Maybe that Sandstorm book has Dark Sun as featured setting... Well at least it will have some good material for DS games even if it isn't. :)

Z.

Ranger REG

Explorer
So far, no company have come forward to acquire the license.

IMNSHO, if the folks at Athas.org establish themselves as a commercial game design studio or publishing company -- the same way the programmers of PCGen freeware have come together to become Code Monkey Publishing and have taken over the support of e-Tools -- Wotc might give it a shot ... assuming the Athas.org can pay the royalty.

With regards to the petition, it will only show how big the fanbase. If you are able to commit 100,000 people (attached to those signature) to buy Dark Sun products -- it may not be in its original format nor may it be faithful to your desired version -- then you might entice a company looking at the petition to go and get the license from WotC.

Remove ads