Religion in D and D

333 Dave

First Post
::A heavily cloaked figure walks up to Nightfall rather casually. "Remeber, half now, half later. And make it good. Or else." He says as he hands the other man a small sack filled with gold. The cloaked figure then takes three steps away and vanishes in three puffs of smoke which leave three black marks forming a perfect triangle.::

333 Dave

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'd drum up some hype IF you paid me Dave. Gold works well for me. Cash is better though.

OH! So THATS how Sword and Sorcery does it. I see. Unfortunatly I don't have the same funds as SSS Druid does :(.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well he doesn't give me gold...but I figured it was worth a shot. :) But if it makes you feel better I'll work on my promotion schemes for ya! ;)

Cullain

First Post
333 Dave: you do the ninja site? I love that page, it's too funny for words. Unless one of those words is sweet.

Atheism in D&D -> just because there are people more powerful than you doesn't mean you have to worship them. Yes, there is definite proof of gods, but that doesn't mean there is proof of 'divinity'

Cullain

333 Dave

First Post
Cullain said:
333 Dave: you do the ninja site? I love that page, it's too funny for words. Unless one of those words is sweet.

No, I was reffering to the fact Beholder Berger said he went to my site and found nothing, to which I responded, to which two people responded. More hype than I've been able to give myself in the past 4 months :rolleyes:. Oh, and on topic, my project is going against the grain of standard fantasy in that it has more than one religion, not all of which are polytheistic (though some are) and atheism is possible.

Oh, and is anybody going to point out that atheism (nogod) doesn't neccissarily mean no religion? Taoism doesn't have a god, but it is most definatly a religion.

Talath

Explorer
333 Dave said:
Oh, and is anybody going to point out that atheism (nogod) doesn't neccissarily mean no religion? Taoism doesn't have a god, but it is most definatly a religion.

Actually, there are two types of Taoism: Philosophical Taoism and Religious Taoism.

Philosophical Taoism is based on the Tao Te Ching written by Lao Tsu, and nothing more.

With Religious Taoism, you have many deities and much mysticism involved with the simple philosophy.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Lord Ravinous said:
Who in their right mind wouldn't belive in something more powerful than them? I mean especially in 'D and D'(snicker), cause its all around them. It's like my daddy always said "Theres always someone out there bigger and badder than you".

An atheist is someone 'without faith' - ie they don't worship anyone/anything. You can believe in the existence of the D&D gods (factually correct stance in the default setting & most campaigns) and still be an atheist if you don't worship any of them. This might be a common attitude for eg wizards & sorcerers. Since you don't in most campaigns need to worship god X to receive healing or raise dead from god X's clerics, this stance likely has no in-game effects.

If the GM allows it, you might have Sceptic characters like Thomas Covenant who literally disbelieve in the existence of gods (& magic, and maybe monsters), who might be immune to or have big save bonuses against arcane & divine magic and supernatural creatures, but likewise be unable to receive magical healing.

Remove ads