Rel's Faded Glory III: Glory Reborn (FINAL UPDATE 6/22 - SHE'S DONE, BABY!!)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Broccli_Head said:
Glad to see a couple of posts so close together!

Thanks, Broc. It has felt great to have the time to do some writing. And I've got to crank as much out as possible over the next few days. The events above don't quite make it to the end of Night 2 of the campaign and tonight we play the (I think) 9th session. If I don't get a bit more caught up, I'm going to start forgetting stuff.

Fortunately, I've had a lot of help as the players of Lazarius and Cathal have both written up "battle reports" for the combats. That allows me to focus on remembering the "story stuff" and gives my memory a crutch for the hacking and blasting parts.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
NO FREAKIN' WAY!! I'm posting two updates in one day! Pinch yourself. You might be dreaming.

The Unlikeliest of Allies

Speaks and Scipio caught back up to the rest of the group as Marius bound their captive a short distance away from the dead dragon-men. Speaks prepared to use some healing magic on the Albino, “He’s going to be fragile so don’t rough him up too much.” A green glow surrounded the Druid’s hand and he applied it to the black scorch on the creatures’ chest that stood in stark contrast to the rest of his white scales. His flesh was cold to the touch. The Albino’s snake-like eyes regained their focus and regarded the ring of captors arrayed around him.

Marius flipped a dagger into his hand. “Don’t even think about trying any of that ‘messing with our minds’ stuff. We don’t need you alive that bad.”

The creature cocked its head and spoke something that Marius couldn’t understand but consisted of lots of growling and hissing noises. Speaks and Lazarius recognized the words in Draconic: “What does it say?”

“He doesn’t speak Imperial,” said Lazarius.

The creature spoke again in Draconic, “I can address all of you if I use my mind speech. I would be a fool to try and assault your minds. What if I failed?”

Speaks told the rest of the group this and they agreed to let the creature communicate with them telepathically. But Cathal stayed ready for treachery with Mailbiter in hand.

“Why did you attack us,” thought Marius. He said it aloud as well, having some difficulty adapting to this form of communication. Would the creature be able to tell if he lied about something?

The Albino responded to their minds, “I didn’t attack you, my stupid compatriots did. Their lust for magic and ability to smell it get them into too much trouble. That’s not what we’re here for.”

“What exactly are you here for?” Marius moved his lips this time but didn’t ask the question out loud.

The Albino hesitated for a moment. “I’m not sure I want to tell you that. If I do, you may do something that would be counter to my Purpose here.”

Marius spoke aloud once again, “Would death be counter to your purpose?” He added as much menace as he could muster but he was already intrigued by what the creature was saying.

“It would be a significant setback, certainly. I’m willing to gamble on your honor though. I’m protecting something. If you’ll agree not to harm what I’m protecting, I’ll tell you more. Then I suppose we’ll see how much your word is worth and how good a gambler I am.”

Cathal gave a mocking laugh. “You wonder what our word is worth when you attacked us without provocation? Your word is the one that should be called into question!”

“Oaths and Pacts are part and parcel of my very existence. I’m not accustomed to breaking them and I don’t intend to start now. You can listen to what I say and believe it or not. You can kill me or not, though I’d certainly prefer the latter. I only ask that you spare that which I protect.”

The party glanced at one another. Each in turn gave a nod. Marius gave their agreement, “If you answer our questions, we won’t harm your charge. Now what are you here to protect?”

The Albino regarded Marius for a moment before answering, “The Egg of a Dragon.”

Marius felt his eyebrows raise themselves involuntarily. “What is the name of this dragon?”

The Albino answered quickly this time, “I don’t think she’d appreciate me telling you that. She probably wouldn’t feel friendly towards you either if she knew you had that information. Unless you want to count her as an enemy, perhaps you should call her the White Lady of the Black Peaks.”

Marius felt it a minor violation of the deal they had struck that the Albino didn’t answer his question directly. But one didn’t go around making enemies of dragons lightly. He decided not to press the issue for now. “Why does she need you guarding her eggs. I’d guess that a dragon would be more than capable of defending her clutch.”

“One would think so. But those who are after her Eggs are exceedingly clever and resourceful. They have become adept at snatching them from her lair. She decided that the best way to ensure their safety was to hide each one individually. Even so, her enemies have been able to locate a few of these hidden ones. So I am her to try and help guard one of them. As were my stupid allies.”

Marius considered who would have the audacity and need to steal an egg from a dragon. Certainly whoever it was was not without considerable power of their own. As he had just thought to himself, ‘one does not lightly make enemies of dragons’.

Lazarius interrupted, “Your allies, one of them said something about ‘Makers of Abominations’ or something. What does that mean?”

The Albino turned to regard the Wizard, “They assumed that you were here to try and steal the Egg. Actually, that might be giving them too much credit. They smelled the magic on you and any pretext to kill you and take it would have been fine with them. They probably assumed you were after the Egg as a matter of convenience.”

Marius took up the questioning again, “You, you’re not like them. Clearly not as stupid as you claim they were and physically different too.”

“Obviously. They are creatures of your mortal realm. I am a servant of the Queen of the Dragons.” The mental voice he projected took on a particular reverence at her title. “I was sent to your world to watch over and protect the progeny of one of Her worshippers. I take my duty seriously. But you look nothing like they way the Abominators were described to me.”

“And how were they described?”

“Orcs with garish, colorful feathers adorning them. But not savage as I’m told such creatures usually are. Thoughtful and well trained in the arts of magic.”

“Orcs.” Cathal spat the word as a curse.

“And from the City of Endless Summer too,” said Speaks.

“What do the Orcs want with dragon eggs?” asked Marius.

“I do not know. My Queen regarded it as something too horrible to utter. My duty is to make sure that they don’t get a chance to do whatever it is to the Egg in my charge.”

Speaks said aloud, “We need to let him go. If we have any enemies in these mountains, they lie in the City of Endless Summer. And the enemy of our enemy is our friend.”

Cathal quickly agreed, “And the enemy we have is plenty powerful enough if they’ve been snatching baby dragons from the breast of their mother. We don’t need the dragon after us as well.”

Marius was pleased to see that his companions were willing to use words as well as weapons sometimes. “You may return to your duty. We have no quarrel with you. And tell the White Lady that her enemies are ours. Perhaps we can join forces to attack them when the time comes.” He knelt and began to untie the ropes.

“I won’t presume to speak for a Dragon. But I will tell her what you said and how you’ve treated me.”

Lazarius loathed the idea of letting the Albino fly away with his tail still attached. But he could find no reasonable objection to the decision.

Speaks asked one last question, “We seek a way north toward the City of Endless Summer. What can you tell us of the terrain ahead?”

The Albino was freed from his bonds now but saw no reason not to answer, “Follow this canyon until you see a crevasse leading to the north. It will take you to a river valley that flows from further north. I don’t know how far it extends but it will carry you closer to your goal. But beware of the creatures that dwell there.”

“What creatures are those?” asked everyone at once.

“I am not familiar with all of the denizens of your world. But I’ve flown over that valley and seen green-skinned giants.”

“Ogres?” wondered Cathal.

“Trolls?” Lazarius speculated.

“Or worse…” said Speaks.

They turned to see the Albino disappearing over the top of the canyon wall.

NEXT: The Sad Song of the River

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Rel said:
“I am not familiar with all of the denizens of your world. But I’ve flown over that valley and seen green-skinned giants.”

“Ogres?” wondered Cathal.

“Trolls?” Lazarius speculated.

“Or worse…” said Speaks.

Athachs? !! :D

Old One

First Post
Hah!

Rel said:
See? I told you there would be frequent updates!

NEXT: Part 2 – New Enemies

At the direction of Speaks, a creature formed of the element of Air appeared atop the canyon wall and attacked the nearest archer with little result. Even as the Elemental appeared, Speaks heard a voice in his mind utter a compulsion: “Your pet looks vulnerable. If you value his life perhaps you should withdraw and fight us another day.” Gripped by this Suggestion, Speaks called out, “Scipio! To me!” and began to fall back up the canyon the way the party had come. (Speaks has got the worst damn luck with the dice. He needed about a 5 to make his Will save and rolled a 4. Unfortunately, it won’t be the last time this problem plagues him.)

NEXT: The Unlikeliest of Allies

Rel,

That sounds like just about everyone in my party! If there is an attack or saving throw to be made at a critical juncture...they are almost guaranteed a failure...I have never seen anything like it in my 21 years of DMing :p!

~ Old One

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Old One said:
Rel,

That sounds like just about everyone in my party! If there is an attack or saving throw to be made at a critical juncture...they are almost guaranteed a failure...I have never seen anything like it in my 21 years of DMing :p!

~ Old One

Speaks blames me. I bought him those dice. ;)

Remove ads