Renegade Games reprinting Robo Rally? Squad Leader? Maybe others?

darjr

I crit!
Looks like they are gearing up to do a few old games. I know this is focused on board games, war games but I wonder if other RPGs could be in the mix.

370370C9-14B9-4028-AE4D-88D1E0840663.jpeg

Renegade Game Studios is excited to announce that they are in negotiations to expand their licensing relationship with Hasbro, a global branded entertainment company, to include best-selling games Axis & Allies, Diplomacy, Squad Leader, and Robo Rally.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'd love to see Civilization and Advanced Civilization, but I assumed the rights probably reverted back to the original designers.

I'm curious about the Squad Leader reference. I wonder how the rights for that dovetail with Advanced Squad Leader which is being published by MultiMan Publishing. Are they fully distinct considering the relationship between the two games? Is there a likely market for Squad Leader - I mean, I think there might be if they can consistently beat MMP's price point (which is pretty intimidating).

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'd love to see Civilization and Advanced Civilization, but I assumed the rights probably reverted back to the original designers.

I'm curious about the Squad Leader reference. I wonder how the rights for that dovetail with Advanced Squad Leader which is being published by MultiMan Publishing. Are they fully distinct considering the relationship between the two games? Is there a likely market for Squad Leader - I mean, I think there might be if they can consistently beat MMP's price point (which is pretty intimidating).
I always preferred Squad Leader over Advanced Squad Leader, I always felt the added chrome of ASL did not add much to the game.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I always preferred Squad Leader over Advanced Squad Leader, I always felt the added chrome of ASL did not add much to the game.
I've liked them both. Personally, I think that if you added in G.I. Anvil of Victory to SL, you might as well have tipped over into ASL.

Ryujin

Legend
I wonder if Air War might end up in the mix. It was a game by SPI, before TSR bought them. I have a TSR branded copy on my shelf, but haven't played it since maybe 1990.

Staffan

Legend
The Civilization rights are a bit of a mess as I recall, because original Civilization was produced under license and then Advanced Civilization was an Avalon Hill-made expansion on top of that. Plus, trademark issues because of the computer games and a number of board games based on those.

Fortunately, a clone has recently been released: Mega Empires (formerly known as Mega Civilization). It's basically the same game as Advanced Civilization except with some retuning, and with another map covering Asia and East Africa ("Eastern Empires") you can use to expand the game to up to 18 players.

Remove ads