• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

reposting wotc stuff

Shadeydm

First Post
Hello Mods,

I am seeking clarification of the policy regarding the reposting of wotc material. I have a thread in the 4E house rule / fan creation section regarding the conversion of some weapons of legacy to 4E. I was wondering in an attempt to kick start the process can I post the stats of a specific weapon of legacy in that thread or is this a violation of Enworld policy?

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Depends how much text you're talking about. You can post snippets, but not large sections of WotC's intellectual property.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What the content is, or what book it is from, isn't the main issue. The real question is how much WotC content are you copying. There's no hard and fast rule on this, unfortunately.

pawsplay

Hero
Hello Mods,

I am seeking clarification of the policy regarding the reposting of wotc material. I have a thread in the 4E house rule / fan creation section regarding the conversion of some weapons of legacy to 4E. I was wondering in an attempt to kick start the process can I post the stats of a specific weapon of legacy in that thread or is this a violation of Enworld policy?

Thanks!

This isn't policy, and IANAL, but if I wanted to avoid running afoul of copyright laws, I would just post the stat block, with no fluff text, and I would not post the special ability descriptions in the OP. Since the bit of text you would be using would be sufficient for other owners of the book, but not sufficient to replace or compete with ownership of the text, IMO that would qualify as fair use. I wouldn't worry, myself, about posting further snippets of special ability text further down, but no more than necessary for discussion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, it's hard to tell without seeing the text - I don't know how long or detailed it is.

Remove ads