D&D 5E resiliency feat and already proficient in the save?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Well i was thinking a situation in which lets say a fighter has uneven stat in constitution and wants to take it to be even through this feat.

If you have already grabbed the Durable feat (which also gives a +1 to Con and a good bonus to hit points recovered from hit dice) then just go for the +1/+1 ability score increase even if the other ability score is already even and raise that one later. I like even-ing out my ability scores myself, but if I end up at level 19 with an odd score in a dump stat, it is not the worst thing in the world.

PnPgamer

Explorer
My original intent for this question was to know if there was a rule that if you already had proficiency you could change the save, similar to character creation.

It seems slightly restrictive such as if a fighter with an even number dexterity picks a dex save, but never intends to raise the now odd numbered dexterity score, basicly wasting a statpoint.

If your DM wants to allow you to take an alternate Resiliency feat that reads something like "VERSATILE RESILIENCY - Add 1 to any Ability Score and gain a proficiency in any saving throw" it wouldn't actually break anything even if it made the feat slightly more powerful. I would allow it myself.

Although it does possibly open the door to silliness like "CUNNING LINGUIST" gain +1 to Wisdom and gain three languages and learn secret codes, "CELEBRITY ATHLETE - Add +1 to Charisma and gain these bonuses to athletic maneuvers. Still, it doesn't break anything so I would probably allow it if the player wanted to role play those aspects of that character.

Remove ads