RESPEN'S GAMBIT

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Time To Go On Clare's Errand...

Patchwall 22, CY 963. 7:30 AM.

Respen said:
...he turns his attention to Nelvandra, as she wakes from her nap and becomes alert. For a moment, he contemplates taking her, "coupling" with her, as Dame Clare put it. He watches as she rises to greet him. [...] He innocently flirts with her, and he remains as close as she allows him to remain.

Nelvandra greets Respen with a hug and a kiss, the nearness of her scantily clad form providing a tremendous distraction, and temptation. Seeing that Respen is already dressed, she begins to do the same.

Nelvandra smiles, and says, "Oooh, has it been four days already? I guess time flies when you're having fun." She gives Respen a wicked, naughty look.

As she is picking out her clothes, Nelvandra moves slowly and deliberately, allowing Respen to have a nice, long look at her lithe, graceful form; during this process, Respen notices that she has three objects among her wardrobe that are obviously magical in some regard: her tiara, her bracers, and her ring.

It is 8:00 AM by the time Respen and Nelvandra enter Clare's study. Clare seems surprised to see them both so quickly.

Clare chuckles, "Is the honeymoon over so quickly?"

Nelvandra smiles, and replies, "Not at all, sis, although I was a little disappointed to find him already dressed. Surface dwellers are so focused on their mundane tasks. But no matter, we'll make up for it upon our return." Nel grins wickedly at Respen.

Clare nods, as she walks over to a chest, and retrieves several items from it. She gives Nelvandra another ring, a pair of gloves, a belt, and an amulet.

Clare smiles, "Take these, little sister of mine. They will protect you. You're not as young as you once were, and you could use a little help."

Nel laughs at Clare, retorting, "I'm only 176 years old. I'm not a maiden, but I'm not a matron, either!" obviously referring to Clare's age.

Nelvandra takes the items, which are obviously magical in nature, and dons them, one at a time. She smiles as she prances around, hopping from one spot to another, shifting her center of balance from her left foot to her right.

Nel chuckles, "Ooh, I feel so springy and light. These things are marvelous," she says, holding up her gloved hands.

Clare nods, and replies,
"I made them myself. I've noticed that you're not as fast or as agile as you used to be. The amulet grants endurance, and the belt, of course grants you strength. And you know what the ring does, because it's the one you tried to steal from me when you were very young... remember?"

Nel nods, and chuckles. "Yes, I remember."

Once Nel has donned the items, it occurs to Respen that she is decked out, head to toe, in magical gear. ~One of the benefits of having an Arch Mage for an older sister~ Respen muses.

Dame Clare motions at the "happy couple," and says, "Stand close, and hold hands. I'm sending you directly into the study. I have seen it in Respen's thoughts. If the place is warded against teleportation, you'll simply blink and wind up back here. If not, you'll appear right where you need to be. Respen, are you quite clear on what you need to do?"

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Patchwall 22, CY 963. 7:30 AM.

Nelvandra greets Respen with a hug and a kiss, the nearness of her scantily clad form providing a tremendous distraction, and temptation. Seeing that Respen is already dressed, she begins to do the same.
Nelvandra smiles, and says, "Oooh, has it been four days already? I guess time flies when you're having fun." She gives Respen a wicked, naughty look.
As she is picking out her clothes, Nelvandra moves slowly and deliberately, allowing Respen to have a nice, long look at her lithe, graceful form; during this process, Respen notices that she has three objects among her wardrobe that are obviously magical in some regard: her tiara, her bracers, and her ring.
It is 8:00 AM by the time Respen and Nelvandra enter Clare's study. Clare seems surprised to see them both so quickly.
Clare chuckles, "Is the honeymoon over so quickly?"
Nelvandra smiles, and replies, "Not at all, sis, although I was a little disappointed to find him already dressed. Surface dwellers are so focused on their mundane tasks. But no matter, we'll make up for it upon our return." Nel grins wickedly at Respen.
Clare nods, as she walks over to a chest, and retrieves several items from it. She gives Nelvandra another ring, a pair of gloves, a belt, and an amulet.
Clare smiles, "Take these, little sister of mine. They will protect you. You're not as young as you once were, and you could use a little help."
Nel laughs at Clare, retorting, "I'm only 176 years old. I'm not a maiden, but I'm not a matron, either!" obviously referring to Clare's age.
Nelvandra takes the items, which are obviously magical in nature, and dons them, one at a time. She smiles as she prances around, hopping from one spot to another, shifting her center of balance from her left foot to her right.
Nel chuckles, "Ooh, I feel so springy and light. These things are marvelous," she says, holding up her gloved hands.
Clare nods, and replies,
"I made them myself. I've noticed that you're not as fast or as agile as you used to be. The amulet grants endurance, and the belt, of course grants you strength. And you know what the ring does, because it's the one you tried to steal from me when you were very young... remember?"
Nel nods, and chuckles. "Yes, I remember."
Once Nel has donned the items, it occurs to Respen that she is decked out, head to toe, in magical gear. ~One of the benefits of having an Arch Mage for an older sister~ Respen muses.
Dame Clare motions at the "happy couple," and says, "Stand close, and hold hands. I'm sending you directly into the study. I have seen it in Respen's thoughts. If the place is warded against teleportation, you'll simply blink and wind up back here. If not, you'll appear right where you need to be. Respen, are you quite clear on what you need to do?"

~ Curiosity, thy name is Respen. ~

Respen tries to hide his frustration regarding Nelvandra. Although he does not regret his involvement with her the last four days, given her willingness to get to know him, he is troubled that she will indeed not see him as most drow females see males. Additionally, if he couples with her while she does not completely have free will and he does, he can't square the ethical edges of that with the premium upon which he places personal freedom. They are elves, not farm animals. He snaps himself out of it as she rises and tests his limits, but he remains steadfast.

~ You are an oak among willows, Respen Coraellus. ~ Respen thinks to himself.

He notes her magical accoutrements, and he hand her his magical cloak of resistance. Although certainly used to the damp coolness of the underground, the north wind coming off the sea into Dyvers this time of year is chilly in the early morning. Not to mention, being seen would draw attention. He chuckles to himself as Dame Clare as "big sister" proceeds to tell "little sister" what "little sister" needs. He recalls his own sister corralling him in the much the same way. He is visibly surprised and chuckles again to himself at Dame Clare's letting Nel's age slip, as well as Nel's riposte. "Nel, and your Grace, respectfully, I'm not sure that the two of you should be discussing your age in my midst. That is a conversation that I can not win." Respen smiles.

Responding to Dame Clare's query regarding clarity on his errand. "Yes. Gather the relevant materials and return them here forthwith." He pauses, "Your Grace, for the record, bringing these things here is an awful idea. I am obviously compelled to your wish; however, candidly, I'm unsure if this isn't "poking the bear". I'm not eager to make an enemy of him, and I would think taking these particular things might gather his ire. That said, I'll be about it nonetheless."

Addressing Dame Clare, "Your Grace, how will we return? Do you have magical means? Or shall we come back the long way so that Nel can see more?"
Turning to Nel, "Have you ever been to Dyvers, my dear? I would like to provide a proper tour, even with as little time as I have spent there. If not this trip, perhaps another."

Becoming more serious for a moment, Respen delivers instruction to Nel, "When we arrive, you need to know some things. I've been to this location twice. I do not know every nook. It has a number of magical items or mystic tomes. I believe I know what I am looking for. While I am hunting for it, don't become distracted. There is a magical mirror that can transport us over great distances, as well as another one of these orbs like your sister possesses. Leave them alone. There may be another person there, a human woman, as well as a dog. Do not harm them. They are bystanders to this; I'll handle them. If the owner of the tomes is there, you need to leave. Right then. If his guards arrive, or there are unexpected visitors, you protect me only until you see a chance to get away. " He takes Nel's hands in his face, and places one gently on her abdomen. "You must promise me. You will not linger. "

Back to Dame Clare, "Your Grace, if he is there, and I survive the encounter, I'll find my own way back. "

Right before they depart, Respen lightens the mood a little, and he looks mischievously at both Dame and Nel, settling more on Nel, looking her over admiringly. "So, 176 years old, eh? I'm 46 years your junior. Yes, you can wipe the look off both of your faces. I was an early bloomer." He winks at Nel, "Cradle-robber."

He looks back at Dame Clare, "Let's be about this business." And he prepares to arrive in Margull's laboratory.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen said:
He notes her magical accouterments, and he hand her his magical cloak of resistance. Although certainly used to the damp coolness of the underground, the north wind coming off the sea into Dyvers this time of year is chilly in the early morning. Not to mention, being seen would draw attention.

Nelvandra smiles at Respen, and gives him a peck on the cheek. "Thank you, my dear," she says, as she dons the cloak, and pulls the cloak's hood up, to cover her face.

Respen said:
He is visibly surprised and chuckles again to himself at Dame Clare's letting Nel's age slip, as well as Nel's riposte. "Nel, and your Grace, respectfully, I'm not sure that the two of you should be discussing your age in my midst. That is a conversation that I can not win."

Dame Clare chuckles, "You have much to learn, Surface Boy. Look carefully at the lithe, comely forms before you. We are Delzeen females. And we only get better with age."

Respen said:
"Your Grace, for the record, bringing these things here is an awful idea. I am obviously compelled to your wish; however, candidly, I'm unsure if this isn't "poking the bear". I'm not eager to make an enemy of him, and I would think taking these particular things might gather his ire. That said, I'll be about it nonetheless."

Dame Clare smiles, and chides Respen playfully, "Hush, dear. Let me worry about that. Do as your mistress commands of you."

Nelvandra suddenly gets a quizzical, angry look on her face. "Mistress? Wh--"

Dame Clare chuckles again, "Relax, dear sister. He hasn't shared my bed. He has sworn his loyalty upon The Orb, while you were sleeping. He has taken the Oath of Apprenticeship, just as you did. He is now bound to us both, through The Orb. I am his Teacher, and you are his Lady. You may share your thoughts with him, just as you do with me. Respen, your mind is now linked, to me, to Nelvandra, and to Kylaendra, through the power of The Orb. As long as you are on the same plane, you can communicate with us telepathically, should you choose to do so. The link is completely voluntary. Any of us can call out to you, yet, you might choose not to answer. And vice versa. But the link is always there, and would require magicks of the highest order to remove. The mental bond of The Orb is a very permanent thing."

Nelvandra smiles, and muses to Respen, telepathically: ~Welcome to House Delzeen, young Respen.~

Respen said:
Addressing Dame Clare, "Your Grace, how will we return? Do you have magical means? Or shall we come back the long way so that Nel can see more?"

Dame Clare nods at Respen, and says, "The ring that I just gave to my sister has the power to return you here, to my lab, upon speaking the proper command word, which is DELZEEN. The Word of Recall power works once per day, which makes this ring extremely powerful and valuable. Do not let it fall into the wrong hands. Guard that ring with your lives."

Respen said:
Back to Dame Clare, "Your Grace, if he is there, and I survive the encounter, I'll find my own way back."

Dame Clare chuckles again, "You worry too much, my dear. The Old Ones are sure of their power. They prefer the subtle to the overt; they rarely strike, unless the danger to themselves is extreme and immediate. If you anger him, he is more likely to imprison you, so that he can interrogate you at his leisure. That's not a pleasant prospect, I'll grant you that. But the upside is that he won't kill you, at least not right away. If that happens, remember the link. The link will save you, my dear, because it will allow me to render aid."

Respen said:
He winks at Nel, "Cradle-robber." He looks back at Dame Clare, "Let's be about this business." And he prepares to arrive in Margull's laboratory.

Both Clare and Nel chuckle at Respen's jibe. Nel gives Respen a long, deep, kiss, and says, "My sweet, innocent, little Man-Toy."

And with that, Clare casts the spell, and the kissing couple finds themselves in the quiet, dimly-lit confines of Margull's tower.

RESPEN: The teleportation spell was successful! You are now in Margull's study! It is 8:50 AM. What do you do?

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Into The Mouth of Madness

~ Move quickly...~

Respen's emotions flutter. He is exhilarated at the prospect of freedom, but frustrated that he has put himself and Nel in this position. He curses under his breath, squeezes Nel's hand, and looks about his surroundings. He looks for Margull first, Vega and Gus second, and then Margull's magical Orb and Mirror. He motions Nel to silence with his finger to his lips. Respen is all business now, and he directs Nel accordingly through their telepathic link. ~ Nel, watch the doors and the mirror; those are entry points. Do not engage anything that comes into this room until we know what it is; simply tell me mentally. We need to leave no trace if it's within our power. ~

He goes to the table that Margull's parchment, books, and papers sat on when he was last in the study days ago. He only gathers the handful of literature that he had seen. If he can't identify clearly as something related to True Vampires or the Old Ones, he leaves the papers alone. He then moves to the library shelves for the same, but he takes an extra few moment or two for anything useful that catches his eye, something that he had not had time to really do the last time he was in Margull's study. If he sees anything personal in nature or in the calligraphic style of the other "Old Ones" or "True Vampire" tomes, he collects it and places it in the stack next to the others, careful not to mix the two stacks until he scans through them. If he perceives that it will take too long (more than two-three minutes), he abandons the effort. He then walks to the window and opens it.
OOC: per verbal discussion, he checks the stained glass window and the clear one, picking the one that opens first
He is careful to not give himself away to any observers below. He looks out, trying to determine where Laramon's tower is relative to Margull's study's window. Upon finding it, he lifts his face to the sun and breathes in above-ground air and smiles, taking in the weather. He quietly casts a spell, whispering a message in Common to Laramon, intentionally not using his name. He hopes that Laramon is in his tower and hears the message. "Master Wizard. Is Respen. Skorane dangerous. Discourage seekers. Others teleported to Nosnra. I am Oathed. Orb of Errindor in Shalistaurimon. Contact later. Regrets."
OOC: Whispering Wind
He leaves the window ajar and walks quickly toward the piles of books. If possible, he does the following out of visual of Nel, if possible. However, if not, he unrolls Laramon's book return and casts it on Margull's books en masse, with the standard 72 hour return in mind.
OOC: Laramon's Book Return
He hopes that he has the good fortune of obtaining a second scroll so he can add it to his spell book. Respen knows that Dame Clare knows what she is doing, but he is obeying several of parts of his oath in presence of the Orb. Respen wants no trace of him having been there. Surely she will devour the books immediately. And she will likely be angry when they disappear. However, they will all remain safe because he is careful...for once. And that's the point. He tosses down his portable hole and places the sack of books into it.

~ Nel, we are ready. Do you want to go back now, or see any of the sights? If the latter, please let me disguise myself, and we can go out of the front door. Keep your ring handy. It's the morning, and there will be plenty of folks about. I'll let you ask your sister about it. Or not. ~ Respen winks at Nel. She said she wanted to get out and see things.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Looting Margull's Study

Upon your arrival, you are attacked!

Respen, before you can move, a large, hairy beast leaps upon you, knocking you prone! Nel gasps in horror, and starts to chant the beginnings of a spell, until she realizes what the creature must be!

The beast is fast and efficient with his weapon of choice: his tongue! He makes quick work of your face, easily covering it with slobbery kisses!

The attacker, of course, is Gus, and he seems very happy to see you! He wags his tail happily as he continues his doggy greeting.

"My, my, this creature seems to like you, my dear." Nel says, "Is this what they call a dog?"

Respen chuckles and says, "Yes, but Gussy here is no ordinary dog. He is a prince among peasants, a mountain rising above a range of scrubby hillsides. He is truly a dog's dog, one of the best. Gus, this is Nel. She''s a friend."

Gus barks once, as if to say, "Ok, got it."

Respen, as you look around the room, you notice something odd. Although everything appears to be roughly in its correct place, the objects in the vicinity of Margull's mirror seem to be disheveled and upset, as if a small burst of wind had knocked everything askew. The papers and the map that had been on Margull's desk are now all over the floor, although none of them are missing. The book that you and Vega had been glancing at the last time you were here is cocked at an odd angle, and open to a different page. There are also two writing quills on the floor; the inkwell is still on the desk, although it has been overturned; strangely, no ink is spilling out of it.

Nel whistles in appreciation, "Enchanted, spill-proof, ink wells. This guy must be beyond rich."

As Respen walks to the window and opens it, Nel observes him. She shields her eyes from the sunlight as he begins to cast his spell.

GM:
Spellcraft check: DC = 15 + Spell Level (2) = DC: 17
Roll = 1d20+11 = 18 (Success)

Nel smiles, "Who ya talkin' to, Man-Toy?"

Without waiting for an answer, Nel begins to pick up some of the notes and papers which have fallen on the floor.

Respen said:
If possible, he does the following out of visual of Nel...

GM:
The room is too small. It is impossible not to be seen by Nel.

As Respen begins to pile the papers, map, and book on the desktop, Nel adds the things that she picked up to the pile.

"Don't forget these," she says.

Nel watches closely as Respen casts the spell.

GM:
Spellcraft DC: 18; Roll = 15 (Fail)

Nel whistles again, "Look at my little Man-Toy, casting all these fancy, high-powered magciks that I can't identify. Bravo, my pet."

Respen said:
He tosses down his portable hole and places the sack of books into it. ~Nel, we are ready. Do you want to go back now, or see any of the sights?~

Nel laughs, "Don't you DARE rob me of my fun! Of course I want to explore your world! It's all so exciting and different from The Underdark. If this were not the lair of an Old One, and we weren't in imminent danger, I'd clear off that desktop right now, and have my way with you on top of it! But I am not reckless, my dear. Come, take me to whomever you were talking to. I want to meet your friends!"

Nel looks down at Gus, and smiles at him, pursing her lips into a mock kiss. "The little doggy can come, too."

Respen: It's your move! What do you do? Where do you go?

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Explores Margull's Place (with Nel)

~ Grrr. ~

OOC: Side note: Respen specifically does not include the book of directions for the mirror in those that he put in the sack and into the portable hole. It stays on the desk where it was. If Nel attempts to palm it or carry it, he resists firmly, responding that the book most assuredly stays. And as tempted as he is to want to <ahem> acquire a crystal ball, he chooses to leave it alone also.

Respen telepathically communicates with Nel without visibly responding to her comments, his thoughts deadpan, "Man-toy? Nel, we aren't in Shalistaurimon. I am responsible for you here. Indulge me the dignity of not referring to me as if I am some drow fop you won in an auction. This place isn't the way I left it, and we are missing someone I expected to be here. I'm glad of that, as nobody remains to change the mission; nevertheless, something isn't right. A moment please. "

Respen focuses a moment on Gus, scratching the dire-st.cuthbert on the chin, forcing him to his full height. He speaks to Gus in his face, quietly, "Have you been here the entire time? Where's Vega, Gus? Why would she leave you here? Margull obviously hasn't returned. And the guards, they just left you here to roam the building?" Respen pats Gus on the head and walks toward the mirror, observing the laboratory, particularly the mirror, which he stops in front of. He walks back to the book with the directions, and then turns his attention to the control for the mirror. He sits at the desk, paging through the book, looking for the mirror coordinates in the book, as well as coordinates that might lead to the Nosnra region, or even to Shalistaurimon, telepathically walking Nel through every step to keep her interested as he tries to give his Whispering Wind spell the time to get to Laramon's tower. He might not be there, in which case, the spell will simply linger like a poltergeist waiting for him, at least for a few hours.

He continues to speak to Nel telepathically, " I want to locate my friends, as well as discover what has become of them. We can explore in a few minutes. Besides, I need to feed and water Gus. Poor pup. "

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen looks around the room, trying to solve the puzzle of Gus’ current circumstances.

GM:
No one has disturbed this place in several days. You find a spot in the corner where Gus has been going potty. You also find the partial corpses of three dead rats, which Gus must have somehow trapped, killed, and eaten. Lastly, you find an overturned potion beaker, which Gus must have been responsible for. Despite this, Gus looks starved and desperate. What little he managed to scavenge was obviously inadequate. Gus is in desperate need of proper quantities of food and water.

It occurs to Respen that Gus would have made considerable noise during his time here; playing a hunch, Respen opens the door to the outer hallway, and finds that hallway empty. The reason that the guards did not notice the noises Gus made is because they were never there to begin with.

Nel responds to Respen, mentally ~Among the Drow, my pet, the terms Man-Toy and Pillow-Pet are used with great affection; they are private, intimate terms. I might call you these names in private, or perhaps in front of Clare, but I promise you that I will not use these names in public, not even among close and/or trusted friends. In public, I will use the word ‘dear,’ which lets people know that we are together, and lets other females know, in particular, to stay the Nine Hells away from MY man.~

While pondering the exact meaning of Nel’s last statement, Respen uses a Prestidigitation cantrip to clean up Gus’ potty area. He then gives Gus some water from his waterskin.

As this is happening, the mirror springs to life, apparently having been activated remotely. Even among Wizards, this is impressive, and clearly demonstrates the extraordinary nature of Margull’s mirror. This device is far more powerful than normal examples of its kind.

Respen and Nel notice that the mirror now shows the image of a large chamber, obviously a library, brightly lit, and to Respen, immediately familiar: Laramon’s Library. Both Respen and Nel realize that the image is a gateway, and that stepping into the mirror will transport them to the location in question.

Respen then receives the following Sending: ~“My son, you have some serious explaining to do. Step through the mirror at once, and bring the Drow female with you.”~

Respen: Laramon doesn't sound pleased! Do you step through the mirror?

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Uh oh.

~ And there it is. Seems that it was not understated. ~

Dame Clare had pointed out to Respen that Nel had a jealous streak.

~ Uh oh. ~

Upon the mirror activating, Respen's countenance is that of an adolescent elf caught with the neighbor's daughter and a barrel of distilled spirits. He quickly recovers, and he summons Nel and Gus to the mirror portal, leaving the coordinates book closed and on the desk.

The lack of security in Margull's tower, much less anybody else, troubles Respen. It dawns on him that something may be wrong. Gus likely barked himself silly. Four days is too long to have a dog locked up without water. Food, maybe. But water? Respen wonders what was in that potion beaker? No telling; but perhaps Laramon will know what's going on at the tower.

"Nel, we need to go this way." He takes her by the hand, moving with gusto into the mirror. "Gus, come along. Let's find you water and food and a place to run."

Before stepping into the mirror, Respen casts a simple spell, whispering in Elvish, to clean up and dispose of the rat carcasses.

OOC: Respen casts prestidigitation once again

Stepping into the mirror, followed immediately by Nel and Gus, Respen inhales deeply, exhales, and inhales again. When he finally meets Laramon’s stern gaze, he quickly blurts out the following sentences, which, while honest, are heavily laden with guilt:

"Greetings, Master. I would introduce my new...consort...Nelvandra of the House Delzeen. I'm sure you have more than a few questions. I shall answer them to your satisfaction or the best of my ability, whichever comes first. Nelvandra, please meet Master Laramon The Wise, Archmage Emeritus of the Dyvers Mage Guild. I am at his disposal similarly as your sister, although the formal magical ties are more banal than the Orb or Errinder. Master, we have arrived from the Underdark. I have been asked to give Nel the grand tour, or as much as she chooses. "

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen said:
”...Master Wizard. It’s Respen. Skorane dangerous. Discourage seekers. Others teleported to Nosnra. I am oathed. Orb of Errinder in Shalistaurimon. Contact later. Regrets.”

Laramon looks non-plussed, “Oathed? Oathed to whom? Wait.... you swore an oath on the Orb of Errinder? The orb of the ancient Suloise Divination Master? I hope you realize, my boy, that The Orb binds a part of your soul to itself in order to enforce the oath sworn upon it? And if you dare break your oath, ACCORDING TO THE ORB’S INTERPRETATION, that more of your soul can be drained away? The Orb itself is not inherently evil, but depending upon what you swear to uphold, the repercussions can be dire, for The Orb is completely neutral, and completely unbiased in the pursuit of its enforcement (to the exact letter!) of oaths sworn upon it. In Shalistaurimon, you say? Please tell me you didn’t swear loyalty to some sinister, conniving, Drow priestess?”

GM: NOTE: Every time you break your oath, you lose 10d100 (10-1000) xp. pts., up to and including level loss.

Respen said:
”...Greetings, Master. I would introduce my new... consort... Nelvandra, of House Delzeen.”

Nelvandra interrupts, saying, “I am no consort. You surface dwellers might consider 4 days of coupling to be no big deal, but where I come from, it’s known as the Tan Dol Shar, the time of bonding. Respen is my betrothed, and once we have performed the bloodletting ritual, he will be my husband. And he did NOT swear loyalty to a Drow priestess, but to the greatest Sorceress that Shalistaurimon has ever seen, my sister, Dame—“

Laramon finishes Nel’s sentence, “Clare, the so-called Empress of Darkness. Yes, I know of her. You are Clare’s sister?”

Laramon studies Nel for a moment, as the amulet around his neck begins to glow softly.

Laramon continues, “You are confused, and a bit selfish, and quite arrogant, but you lack the taint of true evil. You are not a rules follower, are you, my child? You are very much like Respen here, strong-willed, and free-spirited. I see turmoil and uncertainty within you, but there are also traces of extreme loyalty and devotion, diametrically aligned against an equal amount of jealousy and rage. Respen, this woman will be loyal to you, forever, unless you cross her. I suspect that she is the type to hold long-lasting grudges. Congratulations, then; she’ll make you an excellent wife.”

Nelvandra smiles wickedly at Laramon, and then turns to Respen, “Your friend is very insightful. And he is correct. You would do well not to ever betray me.”

Laramon’s disapproval is not lost on Respen; but his analysis is encouraging, nevertheless. Nelvandra is not evil. And she is loyal.

Laramon continues, “But I also see that you are under the effects of several powerful magicks. They infest your aura, and suppress your will. My child, I can relieve you of these magicks, if you so desire. But I will not force your acceptance of my help. The choice is yours, and yours alone, and must be made freely. What say you?”

Nelvandra, who, just moments before, had been full of confidence, now falters, as a look of uncertainty and shock crosses her face.

Nelvandra chooses her words carefully, “Suppressed? How? I am free to decide my own fate. I do not feel controlled.”

Laramon’s certainty is intimidating, heavy with the weight of accuracy: “Not controlled, my child. Conditioned.

With that statement, Nel’s countenance falls, as her eyes flicker with the recognition of multiple possibilities.

Nelvandra glances at Respen, then turns to meet Laramon’s gaze, “If you wanted me dead, I would already be so; that much is obvious. Very well, Master Laramon, free me of these magical fetters. I ask this favor of you freely and willingly.”

GM: TO BE CONTINUED!

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen says, “If I may, Master Laramon, I’d like to explain something to Nel first. I have suspicions myself as to what has transpired here, and I want her to know that it was not of my doing, and that the role that I did play in all of it was under magical compulsion.”

Laramon nods, and allows Respen to explain things to Nel. What follows is very poignant, heartfelt, and comprehensive. Respen leaves nothing out, opting for complete honesty.

Respen turns to Nel and asks her to sit. He holds her hands.

“Listen to me Nel. I am going to be direct. I promised to be truthful to you. I met you less than a week ago. Your sister compelled that I fulfill an obligation that she perceives that she has to you, to find you a suitable companion, and more specifically, a suitable father to a child or children that she perceives that you need and want. I could not resist the directive. She is powerful. “

He stands and walks two steps, and turns to her, continuing,

“Ky is the method of your conditioning. If you haven’t noticed how pleasant her songs are? How intoxicating they are? She is also compelled; compelled to encourage you to be more compliant toward mating, coupling, and motherhood, among other things. I think it also accentuates the jealousy that you come by naturally. Don’t blame Ky. She is not a willing participant either.

He pauses, and continues, “You’ll notice that I have not coupled with you since yesterday. Part of the oath I made to your sister through The Orb extends to you. I shall do you no harm. It also releases me from Clare’s compulsion. Therefore, I will not engage with you, no matter how pleasurable it is, as long as it is even mildly coerced.

“On to your sister, Dame Clare. I am her apprentice.”
He looks at Laramon, resolved. “The Orb of Errinder secures it. Before you offer indignation or protest, allow me to interrupt you, as to save you the expenditure of unnecessary words. It’s done. And it cannot, to my knowledge, be undone.”

Respen describes the oath as intended and the practical reality. “It straddles the gap between curse and blessing.

“Nel, your sister has a larger plan, and though I am not privy to it, I suspect it involves something not unlike what occurred among the orcs. I believe her to be the physical manifestation of Ellistraee, an alternative to Lolth’s rage and depravity. She is supremely flawed, but in that flaw lies enduring protection and stability for the Drow. I won’t justify her means, but I can assure you, she cares more for your life, your success, and your happiness, than she does about your opinion of her.

“This is a lot to contemplate. And there is more to her nature as well, besides why and how she has manipulated you. She didn’t have to condition you. She could have compelled you. And she likely would have, if she believed it furthered your safety and family legacy.

“Nel, do you recall our conversation about her being a vampire? That’s not some legend, or bedtime children’s tale. It is the truth. She is powerful. And she will protect you, whether you like it or not.

“And that leads me to this: I will uphold my oath. Dame Clare demands a high degree of loyalty from me. However, in this regard, I see conflict in parts of the oath.”

Laramon snorts sarcastically, but says nothing.

“So I think truth wins out. What you do with it is your choice. I will serve her, you, and your family. She has potential, and until I am powerful enough to force her compliance, I will remain her Right Hand, nudging her toward the better choice, through good counsel rather than compulsion.

“Laramon, I apologize. I didn’t come willingly to this present set of circumstances. It was a series of unfortunate events, combined with more than a few decisions borne of reckless curiosity. However, I am here, and I intend to serve out my purpose. I don’t like it, but I’ll live with it.

“Master Wizard, my humble apologies for bringing this to you. However, I can’t undo her conditioning. And in any case, I am unsure that I should be the one to do it.”

Respen pulls his hood over his head for dramatic effect, bowing, and giving Laramon the floor.

Nel is quiet for a moment, before saying, “Wow, that’s a lot to take in. Before I give you an answer, however, I’d like to be restored to my full faculties. I hope you understand, my dear.”

Respen nods in understanding and agreement.

It is at this point that Laramon walks over to the corner of his study, and picks up a staff, which is covered in Elven runes, and crowned with the crescent moon symbol of Corellon Larethian. Laramon holds the staff reverently, and begins to chant in Elven. It is only a single sentence, in the ancient form of Elven reserved for sacred ceremonies, but Laramon repeats it 3 times.

Laramon chants, “Eltani impressum rosa belakari. Eltani impressum rosa belakari. Eltani impressum rosa belakari.”

The runes on the staff begin to glow, and a surge of green, pulsing energy flows down the length of the staff, as Laramon touches Nelvandra’s forehead with the tip of the staff! There is a green flash, as the energy engulfs Nelvandra’s entire body for the space of an instant.

GM:
Laramon uses 1 charge from his Staff of Life.

GM:
Nelvandra has been Healed.

Nelvandra blinks a few times, seemingly in confusion, as she begins to sort through her thoughts. A look of epiphany crosses her countenance, followed by a gasp of astonishment!

GM:
TO BE CONTINUED!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases