• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Responses to Questions about the DI

Gleemax.

That's the best you could do?

Like the Maximun Glee Club (are there any Glee Clubs around any more)?

Maybe, Gleemax, Better than Klymaxx (the band that is).

At Gleemax our Neon Green Color means you won't even notice if you blow Snot all over your monitor.

Gleemax.

Now. I'm worried. Very worried.

And, it really sounds like its for "Alternative Lifestyles".

Really.

If I tell my Gay Friends I joined Gleemax, they WILL ask me "So, when did you come out of the closet?"

daemonslye

First Post
D&D will still have its own web presence, D&D will still do its own thing, but there will be a lot of cross references with Gleemax. We'll be trying to drive Gleemax customers over to the D&D Website, and we'll be trying to drive D&D players over to the Gleemax Website

Well, that's just... Huh. Gleemax. Rolls right off the tongue. Certainly has a strong brand affiliation with Dungeons and Dragons websites I wouldn't want showing up on my credit card.

Scott, is this person for real? You seem to come across as a professional in your field. Is this part of the "grand plan"?

Sometimes, it does more harm than good to have bits and pieces leak generating a negative buzz. My recommendation is that you push things up a bit or generate a project plan that leads with something a little less absurd.

An important point to remember is - D&D is really all about the quality and legitimacy of the brand. Negate that and the next producer of Official Content is a new cool setting that everyone starts to play. Harder to achieve than to write about, but that is in an environment where people still argue over terms like "RAW" simply because a company owns the sacred logo. Were that logo to become more of a joke, it may become a real scenario.

Time will tell whether Peter simply granted us an extra decade before the inevitable or whether this is part of a new beginning. I personally would have kept a heavier print presence until a better (semi-affordable) portable digital medium was available, say 2-3yrs - although I have irrationally high hopes for the iPhone.

In the meantime, I wish Wizards and Gleemax.com luck together.

~D

Mercule

Adventurer
daemonslye said:
Well, that's just... Huh. Gleemax. Rolls right off the tongue. Certainly has a strong brand affiliation with Dungeons and Dragons websites I wouldn't want showing up on my credit card.

Wow. I hadn't even thought of that. There is no way I'm ever ordering anything from Gleemax. Ever.

Baron Opal

First Post
That's funny, at first I though the thread title said Gleevec = ENWorld?. I was wondering who thought ENWorld was either a wonder cure or highly toxic.

rgard said:
I'm convinced. No drugs, prescribed or otherwise. And certainly no HRT. And I'm going to shave and run 2 miles today.

Well, now, wait a minute. I'm sure I've got something right here for you. Who do you want to be...?

:p

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I hadn't even heard about Gleemax before reading this thread. So I went over to the site to have a look. I couldn't understand anything that I read. Maybe I'm just an idiot (or too old... or both?), but I honestly couldn't figure out what the site was supposed to be. Am I missing something obvious?

pedr

Explorer
The site's not really active yet.

So far it's the base for an ARG, which I've not explored. It was launched by WotC sending a foam brain in the mail to many people on its mailing list, though I've not heard of anyone outside the US getting one. That brain had a puzzle attached which gave the answer "gleemax.com". Gleemax is a (super silly/super powerful/not-for-tournament-play) M:tG card based on the brain in a jar which is purported to run WotC R&D (someone can probably find a source for the origins of the joke, I can't remember where I heard it first.) The ARG currently consists of sending Gleemax photographs you've taken of yourself with items from a list of objects. What else will happen with it, I don't know - I'm not playing and haven't been following it.

Yesterday's announcement reveals that the ARG was the 'launch event' or teaser for the Gleemax community/brand. By picking up on something most M:tG players understand, and having a game to kick things off, I imagine they hoped that people would get involved - and people are involved with the ARG judging by the messageboards.

Gleemax itself, however, is going to be an order of magnitude larger than the ARG or the Magic card. For professional information, rather than consumer-aimed publicity material, check out the press release (http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Press/?doc=20070611), or the interview on ICv2 (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/10687.html)

By my reading, comments in this thread that 'it has nothing to do with D&D/the DI' are not quite accurate. I think they want D&D players, Magic players and all other stragegy gamers (whether they play WotC games or not) to make use of the site, which they hope will draw new people to the hobby, help retail stores and games publishers connect with customers and gamers connect with other gamers, both face to face and online. It'll almost certainly have D&D related aspects, though it probably isn't the entirety of the DI, which will probably be far more distinctively D&D branded.

Remove ads