D&D 5E restart or rewrite or new?

Would you rather they restart old settings recreate them or just make new ones?

• Poll closed .

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Unless of course, you actually want mechanical updates to old settings.
We all want stuff. Doesn't mean we are going to get it. But hey... wish hard enough and maybe we'll luck out.

I for one though don't waste my time hoping for unlikely things... I just choose to either use what's in front of me or not. And if there's something I really find necessary for my game... I'll just make it up on my own instead of fruitlessly waiting. Including updating mechanics for older D&D products.

Sure, but sometimes Han shot first, and change is not always for the better.
this is where I will say I understand that to some that is a bridge too far... however there are alot of bridges to get there.

is luke just a jedi? or is luke a jedi guardian? that change isn't a big deal...

I see alot of people dislikeing warlock or sorcerer in settings made before those classes... even if there were in fluff wizards who made deals with outsiders... like the new class fits the fluff just fine.

(JUST FYI han being missed at point blank is dumb... greddo had a gun on him, he didn't need to fire to be a threat)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Sure, but sometimes Han shot first, and change is not always for the better.
But also sometimes the idea that an imp named Mopee threw the lightning bolt that gave the Flash his powers was dumb and it shouldn't have been put to print in the first place. Sometimes change is good, especially if the original material was written for one audience but now it's being explored by a new one. That's why different directors will stage plays in different ways - even Shakespeare's plays aren't set into stone.

Change can be bad, change can be good. IMO the individual changes should be assessed on their own merits.

But also sometimes the idea that an imp named Mopee threw the lightning bolt that gave the Flash his powers was dumb.
I'm sorry but what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flash #167 (1967) attempted to make a dramatic retcon to Barry's speed powers. In the issue, the Flash's body aura wears off during a fight with smugglers. Wondering why his powers are changing, Barry runs into Mopee - a bizarre-looking man who says he's 'initiate tenth class of the heavenly help-mates.' Mopee explains that he was the one of gave Barry his powers. He claims to have deliberately brought the lightning bold down to him, after being assigned by his superiors to grant someone on Earth super-speed. He's later told by those superiors, that Barry's powers are invalid since he didn't own the chemicals that gave him his speed.

why???????????????????

I liked that Barry was the lightning bolt... I didn't mind the speed force (espcially at first with wally and max) but this... I just...

I need to go sit

Jer

Legend
Supporter
why???????????????????
You write books for kids and you see Batman hanging out with Bat-Mite and Superman getting menaced by Mxyzptlk and you think "I have a deadline - Mopee it is!" It's one of those "everything you ever knew is wrong" reveals that gets rightly ignored by everyone working afterward (like the source of demon/devil teleportation in Planescape, or the true origin of Mind Flayers from the Astromundi Cluster to pull it back to D&D "canon").

I liked that Barry was the lightning bolt... I didn't mind the speed force (espcially at first with wally and max) but this... I just...

I need to go sit
The only thing that surprises me is that Grant Morrison never figured out how to bring back Mopee.

I mean, he brought back Quisp - the imp showed up in Aquaman stories - and even made him a villain. But even for Morrison Mopee seems to have been a bridge too far.

Stormonu

Legend
Old things can be added to without changing what's already there. Marvel Comics manages it, more or less. I'm all for that.

And you can tell a similar story with different names, in a different setting, without messing with the original. West Side Story is not Romeo and Juliet 5e.
I'm not entirely against change either. There's a lot of good things in the new Van Richten's book, but there's some stuff there that I don't agree with. In that regard, I can pull out my old books and use what I prefer. I'll be grumpy about it, but the new book has enough usable mechanics and ideas that it makes the reprint worth it.

What we don't want is the D&D equivalent of the latest Cats movie.

Remove ads