D&D 5E Retireing characters

If someone wants to play a new character, I'll find a good way for his current character to leave (he won't just turn to thin air, he doesn't have to die either, maybe just leaving to follow a personal goal). I would never disallow it, because what's worse that changing characters is a player that doesn't enjoy playing his character anymore.

However, in my games, new characters always start from scratch. They won't get free magic items and XP (except maybe 900 XP). They will level up fairly fast as XP is still evenly shared. And I also apply the AL "catching up" rules that you can instantly go from 4 to 5, from 10 to 11 and from 16 to 17 as long as all other party members already have a higher level than you. So that's pretty much the penalty for switching characters (or dying).

There is a good reason why I'm doing it like this. I want the character to grow in the same way to player grows familiar with his character. Also, it's easier for me to overview the specific class abilities when they get slowly added.

manduck

Explorer
System shock was one thing. Resurrection survival roll was another, usually just a bit easier. Both were % rolls based on your Con at time of death. If you failed it, you were (usually) done for. If you made it you came back down one point of Con. In theory you could never be revived more times than your original starting Con score but in 35 years I've never seen this one become relevant...by the time you're getting anywhere near that point your Con score is going to be low enough that you're bound to fail a Res roll anyway. :)
Not in 1e. That's a 3e thing. In 1e the main difference was the lower-level revival spells needed a complete corpse while the higher-level ones needed just a bit of one.
I'm not; I think removal of level loss (and various other Bad Things that can happen to characters) is a flaw in "modern" game design. Leave the benefits, take out the penalties, and everyone sees unicorns and rainbows. :)

Also, lost levels could be restored by spell or (rarely) device.

And as I said earlier (and still stand by): a player who wants to drop out of a game just because something bad happens to his character isn't a player I'd want in the first place.

Lanefan

I never saw anyone come back more than once in older edition games I played. It was difficult to begin with (which is totally fine) and we were fine with playing something else. Plus, like you said, it gets increasingly difficult and drains con every time. Interesting system.

I don't think anyone here is advocating the removal of all consequences from a game. There is no "flaw" in modern gaming where all consequences are removed from games these days. It's not make a character and then auto-win the entire adventure or campaign. That's just classic nostalgia, or "in may day!" thinking that isn't really true. No one here is saying they had players drop out of gaming because something bad happened to their character either. What we're saying is that in our circles, the arbitrary level loss slapped on a replacement character doesn't seem to make sense and has impacted the fun of players we know. If we happen across Wights in an adventure, so be it. We deal with it, knowing what we're in for. It makes the adventure tense and dangerous. We all know the effects can be temporary and find ways to overcome the challenge. Having a character die and then the DM says "well make another character one level lower from the rest of the group" doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not a challenge for the player to overcome, like something they would face in an adventure. It's an artificial way of try to increase the difficulty for that player or to penalize that player when all they did was play. Unless the entire group agrees ahead of time that replacement characters come back at a lower level because they like that kind of thing. In which case, game on. Plenty of people like a kind of retro feel to their games with these kinds of rules. Though keeping everyone at the same level or letting replacement characters come in at the same level is by no means coddling a player or removing consequences from the game.

That's the perspective I'm coming at it from. If a player wanted to drop out of a game anytime something happened to their character, I doubt they'd be at anyone's game table.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
If you impose level penalties, doesn't that also penalize the other party members by making the party less powerful?

I can't speak for other DM's, but I know i adjust accordingly. As the DM, I know that the dungeon won't allow them to take a Long Rest (minus creative workarounds) and have planned on the encounters being completed without multiple Long Rests. I know that no one in the party invested into Strength, so I'm not going to have puzzles where the only solution is a physical brute force method, nor am I going to put incredibly debilitating Strength checks in the dungeon.

That being said, being 1 level down from the group is hardly going to make a difference. Heck, even a few isn't as bad as it seems. I have a 3rd level NPC with a group of 6th level characters, and I'm having to dial back the NPC because he's too good and I hate having an NPC-tag-along outshine a player.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I never saw anyone come back more than once in older edition games I played. It was difficult to begin with (which is totally fine) and we were fine with playing something else. Plus, like you said, it gets increasingly difficult and drains con every time. Interesting system.

I don't think anyone here is advocating the removal of all consequences from a game. There is no "flaw" in modern gaming where all consequences are removed from games these days.
There's still some consequences, sure, but compare the different versions of D&D and you'll find a steady reduction in or easing of such consequences as the editions go along. Some rough examples:

Death:
1e - revival has high monetary cost, chance of outright failure (Res. survival roll), loss of a con point
3e - revival has moderate monetary cost, loss of a level === but auto-succeeds
5e - revival has quite low monetary cost === and auto-succeeds

Level loss:
1e - level loss possible from various sources, restoration has high monetary cost and needs to be done once for each level lost
3e - level loss possible from fewer sources, negative-level concept added, restoration sometimes relatively easy, sometimes not
5e - level loss virtually removed and-or made relatively easy to deal with

Spellcasting:
1e - casting very easy to interrupt, cannot cast while in melee, area-effect spells risky (expanding fireballs, rebounding lightning bolts)
3e - casting easy-ish to interrupt === but combat-casting feat makes casting in melee possible, most effect risks removed
5e - casting quite difficult to interrupt === casting in melee becomes ordinary practice, effects risks gone

Note however that in 1e a well-worded wish could bypass all sorts of negative consequences...if you could find and-or afford one. Wish was greatly reined in in later editions.

It's not make a character and then auto-win the entire adventure or campaign. That's just classic nostalgia, or "in may day!" thinking that isn't really true. No one here is saying they had players drop out of gaming because something bad happened to their character either. What we're saying is that in our circles, the arbitrary level loss slapped on a replacement character doesn't seem to make sense and has impacted the fun of players we know. If we happen across Wights in an adventure, so be it. We deal with it, knowing what we're in for. It makes the adventure tense and dangerous. We all know the effects can be temporary and find ways to overcome the challenge.
All fair enough.
Having a character die and then the DM says "well make another character one level lower from the rest of the group" doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not a challenge for the player to overcome, like something they would face in an adventure. It's an artificial way of try to increase the difficulty for that player or to penalize that player when all they did was play.
One argument in favour of such is to encourage players to at least attempt revival of their pre-existing character, for continuity. Another (and this one matters to me) is that it's one more small way to slow down the overall level advancement...which allows for a longer campaign.
Unless the entire group agrees ahead of time that replacement characters come back at a lower level because they like that kind of thing. In which case, game on. Plenty of people like a kind of retro feel to their games with these kinds of rules. Though keeping everyone at the same level or letting replacement characters come in at the same level is by no means coddling a player or removing consequences from the game.
Depends on the group, as you say.

If a player wanted to drop out of a game anytime something happened to their character, I doubt they'd be at anyone's game table.
Yet that almost seems to be the attitude shown in post 19, this thread, which is what got me talking about it.

Lan-"7 times revived and counting"-efan

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yet that almost seems to be the attitude shown in post 19, this thread, which is what got me talking about it.
You thinking that is the attitude I made my post with is you being in error, and you've even been corrected on the matter.

You then doubled-down on the rhetoric suggesting everyone has to accept consequences as harsh as the ones you accept or they are "thin-skinned", which makes the whole thing sound like, to borrow [MENTION=6801718]manduck[/MENTION]'s phrase "in my day" thinking. And it is all coming off as though you think you are a better gamer than someone that looks at a particular rule - which you've even admitted the effects of can completely alter the campaign, which is what "abandonment of the current adventure in favour of something less challenging" is - and says "I don't actually want to use that rule."

manduck

Explorer
There's still some consequences, sure, but compare the different versions of D&D and you'll find a steady reduction in or easing of such consequences as the editions go along. Some rough examples:

Death:
1e - revival has high monetary cost, chance of outright failure (Res. survival roll), loss of a con point
3e - revival has moderate monetary cost, loss of a level === but auto-succeeds
5e - revival has quite low monetary cost === and auto-succeeds

Level loss:
1e - level loss possible from various sources, restoration has high monetary cost and needs to be done once for each level lost
3e - level loss possible from fewer sources, negative-level concept added, restoration sometimes relatively easy, sometimes not
5e - level loss virtually removed and-or made relatively easy to deal with

Spellcasting:
1e - casting very easy to interrupt, cannot cast while in melee, area-effect spells risky (expanding fireballs, rebounding lightning bolts)
3e - casting easy-ish to interrupt === but combat-casting feat makes casting in melee possible, most effect risks removed
5e - casting quite difficult to interrupt === casting in melee becomes ordinary practice, effects risks gone

Note however that in 1e a well-worded wish could bypass all sorts of negative consequences...if you could find and-or afford one. Wish was greatly reined in in later editions.

All fair enough.
One argument in favour of such is to encourage players to at least attempt revival of their pre-existing character, for continuity. Another (and this one matters to me) is that it's one more small way to slow down the overall level advancement...which allows for a longer campaign.
Depends on the group, as you say.

Lan-"7 times revived and counting"-efan

True enough, there are some reductions as the editions went on. Even though 4E isn't popular in some circles, I'll mention that their death penalty was a -1 to rolls that went away after a few rests. Though I always got the impression that these changes weren't made to make things easier on the players but easier on the DM. 1e and 2e had different experience charts, different ways to earn bonus experience and level caps. So level differences were a lot more common. A level difference from a death is less of a big deal when paired in with all the caps, multiclassing and so on. Though it can be more difficult to run a mixed level party. Not always mind you, but it can be. Plus, chances are if you've gamed long enough you've experienced the dreaded TPK. Then you spend time making new characters rather than playing. So I think easing back on death penalties was a decision based more on keeping the game moving so that you're playing while at the table rather than making characters. Then the DM doesn't have to worry about taking time away from the adventure. I suspect that changing the Wish spell was also meant to be a bit easier on DMs too. No more debates at the table about wording interpretations or waiting for hours while a group painstakingly worked out the wording to cover every base. Things like that. Perhaps I'm wrong though. I never got to speak to anyone who worked on D&D about the changes. It just struck me as changes that were put in place to keep the game moving and maximize play time. Rather than changes to go easy on players. Like you say, continuity with characters can be a problem. So it got me thinking that the gradual rules changes were more for DMs.

Also, I must admit to being slightly envious of having the problem that the campaign is moving too fast and you have to slow down level advancement :)

some rules i use when it comes to retireing character.

1 : retireing a character is a downtime activity, you can't retire a character in the middel of a dungeon and bring in a new one.
2 : a retireing takes the magic items and wealt they have with them, you can't give away al you own to the other characters before you retier.
3 : there is a penalty, the new character had only the starting equiplent you get trough standard character creation

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
some rules i use when it comes to retireing character.

1 : retireing a character is a downtime activity, you can't retire a character in the middel of a dungeon and bring in a new one.
2 : a retireing takes the magic items and wealt they have with them, you can't give away al you own to the other characters before you retier.
3 : there is a penalty, the new character had only the starting equiplent you get trough standard character creation

We've used a softer versions of these rules. *limited* giving has been allowed, and only if it made RP-ing sense. And unless the new character starts at level 1, their wealth and equipment are better than basic... but behind what the heroes have.

That being said, if a player feels that, for whatever reason, they want their PC to retire, I allow it, unless it's like the 4rth time in 5 sessions - we need to have a talk then.

My biggest concern is when the original group is completely gone, and you wonder why are the new members continuing a quest assigned to dead/retired heroes...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My biggest concern is when the original group is completely gone, and you wonder why are the new members continuing a quest assigned to dead/retired heroes...
The people who play for Manchester United now are by no means the same people who played for them in 1950 or even 1990, yet the quest goes on...

I see long-standing adventuring parties much the same way - characters may come and go but the party outlasts them all.

Lanefan

Remove ads