D&D 4E Retrocloning 4e: 4th Trifold

I've been working on a 4e Retroclone, cleaning it up to the point that newbies can create PCs in a couple of minutes and the character sheet/character creation rules fit on two sides. (Which means that even if I hadn't been already leaning towards cutting ability scores they'd have gone for lack of space). I've kept the tight math, the unsurpassed flavour, and the tactical nature of the game - although I've reimagined the classes. Currently basic rules (1 double sided sheet), the Fantasy rules module (1 double sided sheet), nine classes and one double page monster section. And some DM guidance including my version of Skill Challenges and some encounter building guidance - both of which I consider vastly superior to the game I'm retrocloning.

So without further ado I present 4th Trifold

And the currently written parts (occasonally being re-written):
[h=2]Rules[/h]Basic Rules
Fantasy rules module
Fantasy FAQ

[h=2]Fantasy Classes[/h]Fighter
Rogue
Warlord
Holy Warrior (Cleric/Paladin/Blackguard)
Innate Mage
Archivist Wizard (Spell list is WIP)
Warlock
Spirit Warrior (Barbarian/Warden)
Ranger (Archer)

[h=2]Bestiary[/h]Rock Ridge Bandits
Burning Zombies

[h=2]Essays and Guidance[/h]Who needs a plan? Three strikes and you’re out - skill challenges
Fast and Fun Combat - What do you need for a battlefield and what for monster tactics?

Last edited:

StormingMarcus

First Post
At first glance, the "plan" rules look really useful, maybe they will need to be finetuned after a thorough playtesting, but I like the general idea and I think they can be easily ported to 13th Age (which has no skill challenge-y system built in the core rules).

Too much tactical for my cup of tea, but starting from 4e I couldn't expect gridless.

Eager to find out Pro Wrestling rules too!

At first glance, the "plan" rules look really useful, maybe they will need to be finetuned after a thorough playtesting, but I like the general idea and I think they can be easily ported to 13th Age (which has no skill challenge-y system built in the core rules).

Too much tactical for my cup of tea, but starting from 4e I couldn't expect gridless.

Eager to find out Pro Wrestling rules too!

The tactical element varies a lot by class and option; Quick Combat is always gridless and I don't think there's too big a tactical element for most of e.g. the Spirit Warrior or even the simple options for the fighter class. -I've just added Gridless to my to do house rules (spoiler: 13th Age and WFRP 3e have a bit to steal - but there is advice saying "Don't take abilities that reposition people; all classes have abilities that do and abilities that don't"). I've already borrowed 13th Age's Momentum mechanic as a rogue option - it works better than SA when used gridless as well as giving different flavours of rogue.

And have fun porting the plan rules over :) No reason you can't.

StormingMarcus

First Post
I've just added Gridless to my to do house rules (spoiler: 13th Age and WFRP 3e have a bit to steal - but there is advice saying "Don't take abilities that reposition people; all classes have abilities that do and abilities that don't").
Well, I'm hacking 13th Age myself (drawing inspiration 4e, Fate and Anima Prime rules) and I made the combat totally gridless, with easier (= less tactical) rules than standard 13th Age, therefore I totally approve "gridless" mode.

[MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] might appreciate my Burning Zombies as the first of the second type of monsters - single sided to make things very different from the baseline monsters. (The inspiration should be obvious).

Remove ads