• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to the Tomb of Horrors - your experiences?

I plan to run my gaming group through the updated 3E version of the ToH (not Return to the ToH). I'm going to run it with pregen characters so that when their character do die it won't matter. I also plan to run it as deadly as possible. All DM rolls will be made in the open and I won't be holding anything back.

If anything it will definitely make for a nice change from our regular campaign. There is definitely no way that I would put their regular characters through it. Can you say campaign ending adventure!

Olaf the Stout

Remathilis

Legend
I sadly only played through 1/2 of it (having to quit the game in Moil) but I did make it through the original tomb (as the thief no less) without dying.

Siegfried Niemand

First Post
Back in 2e when I ran this adventure right after it came out we had six guys with three characters each, any level and any class. Of the eighteen characters that went into the boxed set only two came out at the end.

Only Castle Amber has ever killed more characters in all my 21 years at the gaming table.

Currently, I and another DM are running alternating chapters of this as a means of bringing our 3e game into Epic Levels.

I'd love to find this.

I just could not get my last group into the ToH, darn metagamers:

DM: The seer says yon ancient mound, with great boulders laid out in the shape of a grinning skull, houses the tomb of the god-king Acererak, greatest and richest of the Netherese kings. Untold riches still lie within ...

Players: We were just leaving. Look at the time! Urgent business elsewhere, you understand. Pass Acererak our regrets, and please wish the next group of adventurers along luck in looting his tomb.

Chickens.

Psion said:
I'm thinking PbP... any interest?

I'd be interested. I have never read ToH or RttToH so I'd be flying blind. That should only add to the fun really!

Olaf the Stout

Edit: Psion e-mail me at ac(underscore)marafioti(at)hotmail(dot)com if this gets off the groud.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I was a big fan of Tomb of Horrors but never ran the Return. I did devise a Dark Sun version of the adventure though for an old group, but moved country before I had a chance to run it. Someday, maybe...

Celebrim

Legend
I've never played it, but it looks really cool.

But its an entirely different module than the original one.

The original module was largely 'fair', in that it followed a certain logic, the puzzles were all solvable through very careful play and a certain cautious approach to the tomb, and most of the module was largely independent of character ability and instead relied almost entirely on player ability. A party of 1st level characters could actually get quite far into the module indeed, and were only marginally disadvantaged against a higher level party (most traps didn't allow saving throws, there was very little combat and most of it was with generally weak monsters by the standards of a high level party, failure usually meant death and not hit point attrition, and so forth). So ToH was for the most part, a true test of player dungeon crawling skill. I got quite far into it with a 10th level thief with a couple potions of flying and a rope of climbing as a 14 year old. The experience was both terrifying and exhilerating. The very first trap was in a since the hardest, because until you encounter the first trap you don't understand how different the 'rules' by which the dungeon works are going to be different than what you are used to. After that, you just get paranoid and your fine. The party made it to the Demi-Liche on the first try, and then we died horribly.

It's really only the Demi-Liche which is singularly unfair. I don't believe that any party who didn't know the weaknesses ahead of time really stands a chance, and there was no way from the module to get clues on how to beat the Demi-Liche. If the party doesn't have the right (almost random) spells prepared and doesn't know to use them and doesn't have the right equipment, it doesn't matter how good you are. You've really only got one round to beat it before things go bad, and you have to play that round perfectly in order to do enough damage that the you'll be able to win despite losing a character each round thereafter.

Does anyone here claim to have beat the Demi-Liche with a DM that wasn't helping them out and without having read the module or a right up on demi-liches beforehand? Color me skeptical.

The 'Return' is a totally different module. Sure, both are 'meat grinders', but defeating Return depends heavily on 'character skill' more so even than player skill. 'Return' is very combat heavy, and requires a heavily twinked out party to defeat it even if the players are very skilled. 'Return' is not a fair module, in that even if you play cautiously and well you still are going to have to go through the meat grinder. There is no avoiding it. And 'Return' even more so than the original, really punishes the party in arbitrary ways. The infamous Devil's Head is a flashing neon sign compared to arbitrary ways in which 'Return' will kill you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads