Reverse the order of elements in the page titles

Elephant

First Post
From ENWorld - Morrus' D&D / 4th Edition / d20 News - [relevant thread title] to

[relevant thread title - ENWorld - Morrus' D&D / 4th Edition / d20 News

The latter focuses the most useful information at the beginning of the title where it is most relevant, and importantly, what you see in your bookmarks.

Elephant

First Post
You find your bookmarks easier to manage when they ALL say

EN World - Morrus' D&D / 4th Editi

and you have to right-click on them to see what the thread is actually about?

Also, I have to point out that your current bookmarks won't be affected by a change (I would say improvement) in how site titles are presented.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I agree with Elephant - if I have several tabs open, it's impossible to tell them apart just by looking at the title. It's not a critical thing, but it makes browsing quite a bit more organized.

It also won't mess up bookmarks, because it doesn't change the URL of the page.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not something that's easy to do; sorry guys. That's just how the vBulletin software works. We might look at something like that in EN World II.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Elephant said:
You find your bookmarks easier to manage when they ALL say

EN World - Morrus' D&D / 4th Editi

My bookmarks don't truncate like that in IE7.

*shrugs* Must be one of those great Firefox "features" I keep hearing about. ;)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
LightPhoenix said:
I agree with Elephant - if I have several tabs open, it's impossible to tell them apart just by looking at the title. It's not a critical thing, but it makes browsing quite a bit more organized..

I have to admit, the tabs argument is a good one.

LightPhoenix said:
It also won't mess up bookmarks, because it doesn't change the URL of the page.

It wasn't the URL I was concerned with - it was alphabetizing. :)

I like to group my bookmarks to message board threads I want to save by where they were posted in folders that relate to the specific game, genre or topic. Almost every message board has the site name first, which is apparently the built in "default", and not very easily changeable as Morrus said. So I guess this is all moot anyway. :)

LightPhoenix

First Post
jaerdaph said:

Well, mine don't truncate in Firefox, so I don't know about that one.

[quote="more jaerdaph]It wasn't the URL I was concerned with - it was alphabetizing.

I like to group my bookmarks to message board threads I want to save by where they were posted in folders that relate to the specific game, genre or topic. Almost every message board has the site name first, which is apparently the built in "default", and not very easily changeable as Morrus said. So I guess this is all moot anyway. [/quote]

I can understand that. Moot it is though. :)

I'm a little surprised vBulletin makes it hard to change the "title" tag. Of course, now that I think about it, it probably uses php to parse together the tag based on the page and a default value, so changing that means digging around in the vBulletin code. I took a look at it once, and I know I'm not a good enough PHP guy to figure it out without some heavy study.

Elephant

First Post
jaerdaph said:
My bookmarks don't truncate like that in IE7.

The default viewable portion is about that long in Firefox - you have to check the properties to get the full page title.

And for the record, IE 7 does the same thing, though it will let a silly-long title expand the width of the bookmarks menu a little bit before it truncates the visible title.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Well, it isn't doing it for me in IE7. If I select add to favorites, nothing is truncated.

Edit: Never mind - I see what you mean - in the pull down menu favorites. It goes a bit of a ways into it for me, though, so I've never noticed it as a problem before.

Sorry! :)

Edit (third time's a charm): Here's why I don't notice it. I use favorites from the left side of the browser by clicking on the yellow star next to the tabs, not the favorites pull down menu in the menu bar. If the mouse rolls over the truncated link, it pulls up the whole thing and the URL in a yellow pop up box.

Last edited:

Remove ads