Reviewers & Non-Disclosure Agreements

MarkB

Legend
What part of the agreement did you see that option given?
It doesn't have to be in the agreement. There are provisos against sending unsolicited items and retaining contact details after being asked to remove them in common law in most countries.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At least here in the United States, non-compete clauses are very, very difficult to enforce. Judges are hesitant to enforce clauses that prevent someone from making a living in their profession.

They are hard to enforce, but having to go into court over it can be expensive for the reviewer. Even if GW ultimately has to pay the legal fees, that comes at the end of the action, not early on. The reviewer can go bankrupt due to legal fees in the meantime.

It doesn't have to be in the agreement. There are provisos against sending unsolicited items and retaining contact details after being asked to remove them in common law in most countries.

That probably doesn't hold for someone who has signed a specific agreement to receive materials for promotional review.

MGibster

Legend
They are hard to enforce, but having to go into court over it can be expensive for the reviewer. Even if GW ultimately has to pay the legal fees, that comes at the end of the action, not early on. The reviewer can go bankrupt due to legal fees in the meantime.
Bingo. GW has deep pockets and I'd be afraid of going up against them in court even if I know I had a rock solid case. And, hell, according to the indemnity clause, it's the influencer who has to pay the legal fees even if the court rules against GW.

That probably doesn't hold for someone who has signed a specific agreement to receive materials for promotional review.
That's what I was thinking. And non of the lawyers I've heard talk about the NDA have mentioned anything about an unsolicited items loophole. I'm thinking if you signed this agreement anything GW sends you was not unsolicited.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is there a link to this agreement? Everybody seems to know what's in it! I'm curious enough to take a peek.

MGibster

Legend
Is there a link to this agreement? Everybody seems to know what's in it! I'm curious enough to take a peek.
You can find it on Reddit in the Warhammer 40k Community page. There are also a few Youtube videos that go over the agreement and talk about what it means. Beware Youtube, some of those people posting about it are just unpleasant people you probably don't want to give traffic to.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can find it on Reddit in the Warhammer 40k Community page. There are also a few Youtube videos that go over the agreement and talk about what it means. Beware Youtube, some of those people posting about it are just unpleasant people you probably don't want to give traffic to.
There’s zero chance of me watching any YouTube videos

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah just attaching it here for convenience.

bu9aci12n7p71.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases