D&D 5E Reviews of Warlordish options - Starting with the Noble

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Weapon Master (Complex Fighter-Full Class) by Frank Dell (mellored)

This is a 13 page document with a title page and about 11 1/2 pages of Class with the majority of the space as Adept and Mastery abilities for every weapon.

Reading as a PDF the document looks fine but when printed the lack of top and bottom margins means it is missing sections of text.

1d10 HD, all armors, all weapons, Int & Wisdom, 2 skills. The Defender picks up Shield proficiency. Each subclass gets a free skill proficiency and 'expertise' in it at 1st.

The subclasses start at 1 so you pretty much have 5 classes riding on the Weapon Master chassis of Adept and Mastery powers further subdivided by Simple and Martial Weapons. You start with Simple Weapon techniques at 1 and get mastery for them at 11th. 2 levels later for both you get the Martial weapon techniques - so 3rd and 13th.

The weapon master gains Extra attack at 5th.

Rush of Battle grants a group initiative bonus and a granted bonus move. On the chart there's an upgrade at 9th but I didn't see it.

7th adds some weapon diversity with Enchantment Transfer and Weaponize. 9th gains a knowledge ribbon for Identify Marks.

15th gains an ability to shore up weak saves and an encumberance benefit.

ASI/Feats occur at the slightly improved progression of 4/8/10/12/16/19. Extra at 10th.

The 5 Archetypes are called Strategem - Guerilla (Stealth), Tactician (History), Warlord (Intimidation), Marshal (Diplomacy), and Defender (Athletics). Guerilla is more like the Scout, Tactician gets find weakness and gain defenses based on a random table, Warlord is a dominating slave-taker, the Warlord adds a little healing and a parley, and defender with damage blocking for allies.

The meat of the class is in the Techniques with a Adept and Mastery technique for every weapon. The weapon master can basically ready weapons like a caster selects spells. You start with a small number and eventually can know them all at 20th. There's probably some room for hardcore char-op in here but that's really too much for this discussion.

Basically the adept techniques add riders or options, and then a typical Mastery options is a basic 19-20 crit or some alternate ability.

Since the number of weapons prepared grows with level it's probably manageable in a game.

As a Warlord it is in the PDK category, less than a BM but has some Warlord options in the base class and Marshal. Granting initiative bonus and extra movement as a bonus/reaction possibly at will at 6th (not clear). The marshal gets at will 1 point heal from 0 hp possibly at range (not clear) once per character per short rest. And a floor on HD healing. Later they grant THP 1/round. Finally the can do Revivify at 18th.

The rest is pretty Fightery.

With regards to the classic board bugaboos:
1. Ranged inspirational healing from unconscious – yes (maybe - the descriptions aren't very technical).
2. Background as a class – no.
3. I’m in charge here – maybe. Other than movement there's no attack granting
4. Healing by spending Hit Dice – no.
5. Full action granting – no.
6. At-will attack granting – no.

Mostly this is a complicated Fighter replacement. The Marshal has a little Warlord with minor healing but the lack of attack granting is notable.

This $3 document probably needs a couple formatting and technical writing (using game terminology) passes to be worth the money.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Rush of Battle grants a group initiative bonus and a granted bonus move. On the chart there's an upgrade at 9th but I didn't see it.
Noted. I'll come up with something else.

Warlord adds a little healing
It's roughly the same amount as the the healer / inspiring leader feats.

Mostly this is a complicated Fighter replacement. The Marshal has a little Warlord with minor healing but the lack of attack granting is notable.
Short bow has it. At-will full attack action granting available at level 1, though only 1/2 damage.

The thrown weapons also let you (literally) toss around bonuses.

Though, it's difficult tell at a glance what the effects of each weapon are.... I should come up with names for each one.

probably needs a couple formatting and technical writing (using game terminology) passes.
I'll go back over it.

Thanks for the review.

Last edited:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
It's roughly the same amount as the the healer / inspiring leader feats.

Maybe I'm missing it, but it does the 1 point stabilize heal. The main benefit of the Healer feat is Level+4+1d6 once per short rest as an action which is the first option for a standup restoration. I didn't see anything with that level of Healing.

Short bow has it. At-will full attack action granting available at level 1, though only 1/2 damage.

The thrown weapons also let you (literally) toss around bonuses.

Sorry I forgot about the shortbow thing.
'At will give up your action and bonus action to make an attack at disadvantage which if it hits it does half damage and lets an ally make an attack that does half damage with their reaction.'

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Mentioning this since it will likely be overlooked as an option otherwise, but the forthcoming book, Amethyst Quintessence, contains a marshal class.
It has d8 Hit Dice, medium armour, Int and Cha saves, and at level one the at-will ability to let any ally take any action they want as a reaction. It also gets a number of "Command Presence" and "Team Powers", which are at-will abilities they can use that either affect enemies or allies.

While the book is post apocalyptic science fantasy, the flavour of that could be stripped from the class pretty easily.

It was designed that way. I totally expect people to pull what they want and disregard what they don't require. Ultramodern5, our next book, offers expanded modern rules without a fantasy setting at all.

Zardnaar

Legend
THe nobles not bad but I think it needs to be cleaned up a bit or tweaked. It would be nice to see a follow up article in ENworld.

Remove ads