Reviews reporting

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, bear in mind, it's not like I'm a teacher in RPG reviewing at some college. Who am I to crique someone, much less spend all my time telling people how to improve their lousy reviews....

But another example. The so called review of Twilight of Atlantis from RPG United...

It's 10 sentences.

"New races such as the Bastai cat-warriors and the Atlanteans appear, new prestige classes and 6 new feats to use with them, a whole new approach to magic- (that of the resonance), 10 new spells, and various tables."

Great summary, there. Just what are the classes? Various tables of what?

"An interesting story, and although the background story is rich on information, it doesn't grow boring on you, and the balance of "what you need to know" and what is merely "page fill" is well kept"

That doesn't even make sense.

This is a product I'm thinking of buying, yet this review tells me basically nothing. It gives the product a 3 out of 5 because "this product just didn't push any particular buttons on me, so to say."

Now that's a solid reason!

As far as I can tell, all of the reviews on that site are extremely short, extemely vague, and poorly written. The latter I can excuse because English is apparently not their native language, but there is no excuse for such short reviews. It's not like they have to pay for ink or printing costs....

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Anyway, my point is, lousy & short reviews should really not be news, but they mostly just waste the time of the reader (not to mention Morrus). If they're good (and long) reviews, then yes, they should be considered news...

Walter_J

First Post
Hi, Morrus!
Keep the reviews. If you can automate the process, or in some other way make life easier on yourself, go for it and dont' be afraid to shift some of the work to the news submitters.

What strikes me as odd though, is that no one has submitted their link under the News and Reviews section of your d20 links. Why would someone who wants traffic to their site NOT want to do that? Very odd.

Have a good one,
Walter

Remove ads