Reviews that didn't age well.

There's a big difference between early seasons' and later seasons' subverting expectations. The early seasons' subversion came from the assumption people have going in that the main characters will find a way out of the deadly situations they put themselves in, and GoT (and ASOIAF to begin with) said, "nope." Characters, no matter how important they seemed, facing the consequences of their actions was (and to be real still kind of is) a bold storytelling choice.

The later seasons' subversions OTOH were plot and characters twists that were never earned.

I agree with this as well. Game of Thrones flowed like history initially, which felt like on the one hand subverted expectations but also felt like things were happening in a way that felt genuine. The later twists seemed like they were there simply because the show felt it was supposed to have them. Again, Walking Dead did something similar.

Again, Walking Dead did something similar.

It still does; a new spinoff just came out.

It's like that show is some sort of un-alive shambling monster that just keeps trudging along without any justifiable logic or reason, even though it's just the mutilated remains of what it used to be. The franchise is a dried up, ambling husk that lashes out and attempts to consume any actors that come near it. Between the new Daryl show, the Maggie/Neegan one, the Fear series, and the original show, the IP has become a slow moving horror that is attacking fans with overwhelming numbers of episodes; individually they're easy to ignore but the sheer volume of media makes them an imposing threat.

It still does; a new spinoff just came out.

It's like that show is some sort of un-alive shambling monster that just keeps trudging along without any justifiable logic or reason, even though it's just the mutilated remains of what it used to be. The franchise is a dried up, ambling husk that lashes out and attempts to consume any actors that come near it. Between the new Daryl show, the Maggie/Neegan one, the Fear series, and the original show, the IP has become a slow moving horror that is attacking fans with overwhelming numbers of episodes; individually they're easy to ignore but the sheer volume of media makes them an imposing threat.

Wow. I remember me and my wife getting tired of it back in like 2015 maybe (at some point after Sasha died I recall things starting to get way too slow)

Zardnaar

Legend
i first became aware of them when the Highlander came out and I saw their name in the opening credits and asked my dad who Queen was. I adored their sound the moment I heard it (if I am being 100% honest, their music is probably the main reason I liked Highlander). I remember they got a big resurgence when Wayne's World came out. I think the critics were crazy. Kind of Magic and their later albums are all good in my opinion (especially in contrast to a lot of the sounds of the time). Both The Miracle and Innuendo are albums I go back to all the time (and quite good especially when you consider how sick Freddy Mercury was at that time). On note of caution I would give is to be wary of wikipedia break downs of how well an album was received. I have seen a lot where they used just a handful of reviews to form an average and it often doesn't match my recollection of how much critics liked it. That said, the critics were often wrong about Queen, going back to their early discography.

Appetite was big for a reason. That was a very good rock album from song to song.

One can also look at the charts though. Queens a legendary band now but look at the crap that was beating them at the time.

The Miracle and Innuendo are good albums.

I got into them via the Highlander TV show. Princes of the Universe as theme song.

I think Appetite is still biggest selling debut album ever.

One can also look at the charts though. Queens a legendary band now but look at the crap that was beating them at the time.

The Miracle and Innuendo are good albums.

I got into them via the Highlander TV show. Princes of the Universe as theme song.

I didn't watch the show but I made a point of watching the introduction when it aired for that reason

Zardnaar

Legend
I didn't watch the show but I made a point of watching the introduction when it aired for that reason

I was 13 or 14.

Rewatched it twice since tgen. Season 1 is very product of its time villain of the week. Last season is bad.

In the middle there's not bad story 7/10. Relative to when it came out its pretty good.

Lots of Babylon 5/Star Trek/Stargate actors turn up in it.

Last Queen album one of the first CDs I bought along with a double Van Halen pack 5150/OU812

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I don't know. I don't get this spoiler taboo that has developed. I think if a show or movie has been out that long, people have to risk spoilers.
I guess because "that long" is relative.

I can immediately think of at least five reasons where one person's "that long" could be different for another person.

One example: my To-Read list (just to pick one media of entertainment) is 1400 titles long. Some of those books are 20+ years old. But for me, I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I'd like it if no one spoiled those books for me.

There are many other reasons why someone may have not read GoT or seen the show yet.

So I guess in the "treat others as I'd like to be treated" I would wish that people don't reveal open spoilers, no matter the length of time something has been available to them

And it's so easy to hide a spoiler in ENWorld - why not do it?

So I guess in the "treat others as I'd like to be treated" I would wish that people don't reveal open spoilers, no matter the length of time something has been available to them

And it's so easy to hide a spoiler in ENWorld - why not do it?
I am totally fine with things being spoiled for me. I think if a movie just came out, I get a reviewer or something holding off giving information that would spoil the story. For all other media that is in our culture, you always run the risk of encountering that information in the course of your day. That is just pop culture osmosis at work (I knew tons of spoilers for big movies and franchises before I saw them).

Remove ads