Reviews that didn't age well.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's interesting that Queen is still basically "around", but it's been literally years since I heard a U2 song in anything or even on the radio. And they were just huge in the early-mid '90s.

Lol had that conversation other nights listening to a U2 song.
The last good U2 album was 2001 iirc, their last great song was 1995. Ymmv imho of course.

Freddie died made himself a legend, Bonos morphed into an annoying jackass

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The last time I heard of U2 was when Apple basically downloaded their latest album to every Apple device.

They're one of the performers/groups with their own Sirius/XM station. Not a fan of their latest album of new versions of their own songs (maybe the only album of theirs under their own name that I don't periodically put on for some reason or other).

(c.f. their initial reviews of the GoT TV show)
What's the GoT TV show? Did someone make a Game of Thrones show? No, that's silly. Martin hasn't finished the books yet. You'd have to make up an ending, which would probably be a mild decline in quality and slightly let people down.

If they made that show, the only way I'd not remember it would be if the ending they went with were SO terrible it made all the fans resent the show, so that no one talked about it anymore.

If they made that show, the only way I'd not remember it would be if the ending they went with were SO terrible it made all the fans resent the show, so that no one talked about it anymore.
This was a fun meme in 2019, but it's proven to be completely untrue, given that HotD has been very successful. Even if the show had had a perfect ending, the very fact that it had ended would have caused people to "stop talking about it" to about the same degree.

We've seen this with other shows that did have competent endings - Breaking Bad for example. Was discussed constantly whilst it was on-air, and basically vanished from discussion when it finished. It still gets mentioned/meme'd, but to a lesser degree than GoT does, even, amusingly. Or just look at Succession - people talked about it constantly when it was on-air and between seasons and now? I haven't even seen a Succession meme for weeks, let alone heard someone talk about the show.

The reality is, in the madness of certain people getting absolutely enraged over GoT's shoddy ending, they deluded themselves into thinking people talking about a show vastly less after it finished was some kind of aberration caused by the ending, rather than what happens to almost all shows, even good ones.

The only real counter-example I can think of is The Sopranos, and even that saw discussion of it fall off a cliff after it finished, and it kept getting mentioned because it basically created the entire era of "Prestige TV".

Remove ads