The various guilds of teknicians are;
  • Clockwerks League
  • Ratxets Guild
  • Springwerks Union
  • Airmatics and Waterwerks Alliance
  • Alchems Sisterhood
  • Tarteks Federation
  • Airxip Syndicate
Everything is much dirtier, oily, raw. Think Jules Verne meets da Vinci meets Mad Max

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
At this level of mechanical fussing I would likely opt for an original class
Exact.

To answer your question: I'd favor a new class (noting that with my idea you have much of the work already done). 5e has already so many spellcasting left and right, having a class artificer using spells, even if you change the name and the fluff, it will still be lost in the sea of spellcasters.

But that's me. Refluffing can get you far enough; the ''tool's required'' feature of Artificer's spellcasting is already in place to help you toward it. You could just replace terminology:

Spell = Blueprint
Spell Slots = Reagents
Spell level = teknil level
Cast = Craft

So: to cast craft the spell blueprint Fireball (a spell blueprint of 3rd level) you must spend a spell slot reagent of the same level as the spell teknik level.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
@vincegetorix I'll blend concepts from either the Artificer or Warlock with the Rogue (the non-magical skill framework) if I go fully original.

Tek would last 1 minute (a combat), a short rest, a long rest, permanent-ish
Good idea:

Maybe use the rogue's chassis, replace sneak attack with the aforementioned UA artificer Alchemist's Satchel (since they have the same progression).

Expertise makes sense, maybe focus more on tool's and less on skills.
Evasion makes sense for someone working with explosives so that's good.
Replace Elusive/Uncanny dodge with Extra Attunements
Replace Stroke of Luck with Soul of Artifice
Replace Blindsight/Cunning Action with Infuse Item.

LevelFeatureInfusion
1Teknik Bag, Teknik Blueprints, Expertise-
2Infuse Item2
3Guild Archetype2
4ASI2
5Superior Attunement (1)2
6Expertise3
7Evasion, New Blueprint3
8ASI3
9Guild Feature3
10New Blueprint3

11Reliable Talent4
12ASI4
13Guild Feature4
14New Blueprint, Superior Attunement (2)4
15Slippery Mind4
16ASI5
17Guild Feature5
18Superior Attunement (3)5
19ASI5
20Soul of Artifice 6

If you or your players are concerned with balance, going with the reflavor could help ensure you won't be too far off. I for one would choose the reflavor, because it's less work.

Artificers don't really need a lot of reflavoring, just going the way the Alchemist subclass went.

They already have an experimental elixir feature and they can use spell slots to choose what they do. Keep all artificers as they are, but instead of preparing spells, they'll make draughts (up to the number of prepared spells) in the morning... Those are highly volatile and can't really be kept for long outside of lab conditions, explaining why they can't stockpile them and explaining why they don't have a definite allotment (since if they prepared, say, a cure wound bottle in the morning and cast Grease all day, they must explain in universe why there is no more cure wounds at the end of the day... Cantrips could be explained by mechanical device that can therefore be used at will, and maybe some experimental device (if you're uncomfortable with a potion to grow a patagium in a few seconds, you could have a single-use little device with a propeller expanding all its energy to let you fall not too fast and grappling you with its supertiny hands...)

Poring over the artificer list, there are very few spells I couldn't see easily reflavoring into potions you could ingest or pour over something to produce effect, mainly those with outlandish effect, like the Rope Trick one. Even Arcane Eye can be justified by taking hallucinogenic drugs giving an out of body experience... except it's really working.

The rules already encourage players to flavour their magic as mechanical... but doesn't harp on it. I'd totally explain the Arcane Jolt power of the Battlesmith as an experimental defibrillator drone (or, more thematically for a Victorian ambiance, a dingbot from the Heterodyne comic) , that can't be pushed too far out of fear of frying itself, but can help people in dire straits... or electrocute a foe) and so on.

If you want to link the story of your setting with character creation, you could use your factions as background for starting character and expand/modify the "spell list" based on each specialty, following the example set by Ravnica's guilds?

Last edited:

Spell-less is a thing, but otherwise any construct that can walk, talk, fly or fight is magical.
Smog punk or steam punk is magical.
Grabing some component and brew them while you take a snack and then make a smoke bomb or a grenade is magical.

Other than making Detect Magic go "Ping!" and the odd verbal component, is there any reason you couldn't characterise all Artificer abilities as non-magical mechanisms?
Maybe swap around some of the damages, so Force damage is now Physical.
Being immune to counterspell and dispel magic would be a significant buff.

The desire is that there wouldn't be any magic involved. If I use the Artificer there would be many paragraphs describing the difference between a magical version of the Artificer as exists in 5e and the Teknician version as exists in my world.
It doesnt require anything special. Just rule that no Artificer spells or special abilitites are magical, even if they say they are.

It wont change much. They work in an AMF, are not subject to dispel or counters or magic resistance etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases