D&D 5E Revising Castle Grayhawk for 5e

Coroc

Hero
If you want an official product that, go and convert Greyhawk Ruins (2E) or Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (3E). If you want an unofficial product that is probably as close to a complete Castle Greyhawk as you will get, pick up Castle of the Mad Archmage.

Stay far away from the module called "Castle Greyhawk" unless you want to run it as a weird dream or portal within a better version of the Castle.

(Hilariously though, Wizards seems insistent on using the apprentices that this module gave Mordenkainen - see, most recently Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. I believe there is some commentary from Xort).
Well I know only the 2e version (WGR1 it is I think), all my comments still stand, The 2e version is everything else than a castle (or cellar levels of a castle). It has some of the fun stuff within and it is highly illogic in what monsters it contains and where and why at different levels of the structure.

JeffB

Legend
If you want to stick with TSR versions- then GH Ruins is the way to go. But overall it's not muh like the actual CGH. It's mostly TSR designer works with a few of the names/locations from the actual CGH.

If you want to get as close to Gary's as possible then you need to try to find, and then shell out cash for Castle Zagyg products from TLG. It's not Castle GH exactly as it was in say 1973 but it's Gary's version of Castle GH as it was played over the years/expanded/modified.

Sadly he never got to complete it (with Jeff T's help) and Gail pulled the contract from The Trolls after his death- it seems unlikely we will ever see a CGH that is as true as CZ was unless Gail grants someone a contract or sells the rights.

Nosaje

Villager
Shades, you can just burn that module as other have said. Unless you are using it run a comedic type of adventure. It has nothing to do with Castle Greyhawk. Pick up Ruins of Castle Greyhawk or Expedition, they at least try to be Castle Greyhawk. Also you can always try to find a copy of Gary's work with Troll Lord Games. Unfortunately there will never be a Castle Greyhawk at this point, RPG vaporware. :(

Remove ads