Unearthed Arcana Revising the Psychic Warrior

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I like that basic concept of the Psychic Warrior in the latest Unearthed Arcana. But I have some of my own ideas about how best to execute the concept. Here are my ideas:

Psionic Armament
When you reach 3rd level in this You can channel your psychic power to magically augment your prowess. When you finish a long rest, choose whether to augment your defenses or your strikes. The chosen benefit lasts until you finish a long rest.

Augmented Defenses. When you or a creature you can see within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d10 and reduce the amount of damage taken by the number rolled. When you reach 10th level in this class, you instead roll 2d10 and take the higher of the two rolls.

Augmented Strikes. Once during each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can also deal 1d4 psychic damage to that target. When you reach 10th level in this class, the psychic damage increases to 2d4.

Reasoning: I felt going from a d10 to a d12 a bit underwhelming for the augmented defenses. Getting advantage on the die increases the damage prevented, but keeps it at 10 or less. On the other hand, a d4 damage on a single attack seems appropriate at 3rd level, but a d6 on a single attack at level 10 is not so great. Doubling it to a 2d4 seemed better. I also adjust the main level 10 ability to balance it out a bit.

Telekinetic Hand
No changes for this one.

Strength of Mind
Beginning at 7th level, you learn to use your telekinetic abilities with more skill and force. When you use your Shrewd Fighting ability, you can choose to target a creature you can see within 30 feet. When you do so, you instead use an Intelligence (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use).

If you have grappled target using this ability, as long as the target remains grappled you can use a bonus action to move the target up to 15 feet in a direction you choose. Additionally, if you have grappled a target using this ability, you can use your action to telekinetically crush the target, dealing bludgeoning damage equal to 2d6 + your intelligence modifier.

Reasoning and Explanation: So I have my own version of the fighter. At level 2, they instead gain an ability called Shrewd Fighting. Basically, they can use a bonus action to attempt a shove, grapple, or disarm. It was meant to give fighter's a consistent bonus action, akin to rogues. Action Surge moves to level 6, where it is more useful (as fighters get 2 attacks) and makes Fighter less valuable to dip into. So this ability is meant to enhance Shrewd Fighting. If you aren't into that idea though, it is easy to adjust this ability to grant a bonus action Grapple or Shove.

Telekinetic Bulwark
Beginning at 10th level, you learn to create a protective field around you and nearby allies. As an action you can project a bastion of psionic power in a 10-foot radius around yourself that lasts until the start of your next turn. For the duration, you and your allies in that area gain the benefits of half cover and have advantage on Strength saving throws.

Reasoning: I thought since fighters are typically about at will powers, I thought it best to adjust this to be an alternative to dodge. But at the sacrifice of attacking themselves, they would also grant this ability to nearby allies.

Agonizing Strikes
Upon reaching 15th level, you learn to channel psychic agony into your attacks. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can also deal 2d10 psychic damage to that target and force it to make a Constitution saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. Unless the save succeeds, the target falls prone, and is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Once you have used this ability, you must finish a short or long rest before you can attempt this ability again.

Reasoning: When I think agonizing, I think of being stunned. But granting a stun ability is quite powerful, so between that and how typical fighter abilities recharge, I thought it best to have one per short rest.

Psychic Dreadnaught
The power of your mind suffuses your entire being, making you a nigh-unstoppable force on the battlefield. When you use your telekinetic bulwark ability, you instead grant those within its area three-quarter’s cover. As part of this action, you can make a single weapon attack.

Reasoning: Psychic Dreadnaught seemed like a better version of the Champion's Survivor ability. Of course it is more time limited too. But I thought this would build upon the previously established Telekinetic Bulwark ability and set it apart from the Champion's ability.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I'm saying maybe actually play with it before trying to make it "better".

Yes, because all of us have all the opportunities we want to playtest things before we catch the design bug, and the only way to evaluate a mechanic is through actual gameplay. Seriously, if you aren't interested in discussing the mechanics I've put forward you really don't need to try and shame me for engaging in this hobby in a way that is personally satisfying to me. You may have different tastes or engage in this hobby differently, which is completely fine. But you also don't need to dismiss my work simply because my tastes are different than yours.

Additionally, I never claimed it was better. I said it was revised. And I provide my logic for the changes I've made. Just because you don't value my ideas or wish to engage with what I've created doesn't mean others couldn't actually enjoy the conversation my adjustments might bring about.

FireLance

Legend
So, I went ahead and came up with a variant psychic warrior based on the Eldritch Knight and replacing the spellcasting progression with discipline access, psi points and psi limits similar to the Mystic (although I did re-jig the numbers for simplicity). I also introduced psionic spellcasting to streamline the disciplines (no need to re-invent the wheel and all that). Just six fairly basic disciplines for now.

Attachments

• Psychic Warrior (Mystic).pdf
    249.4 KB · Views: 696

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm saying maybe actually play with it before trying to make it "better".

That was my thought as well. How do we know it's actually broken if it's not even playtested yet? If there's one truism with rpg design, it's that playtest reveals a lot of things that went against your assumptions by just looking on paper.

For example, Hawk boosts the 3rd level ability of damage reduction, and I actually thought it was over powered. Why? You're basically getting a free d10 hp reduction every round. To anyone within range. That is HUGE. It's not like opportunity attacks happen all the time, so you'd be using that ability quite often.

This isn't meant to be an indictment on Hawk Diesel, because he/she/they are hardly unique in their feelings about the subclass. And I give credit for actually trying to make it different rather than just complaining about it and doing nothing like some do. But testing really should be done first before changing the abilities.

Remove ads