D&D 5E Revisiting future product predictions (2021 and beyond)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
1608834241307.png

Although this chart is a great markup of the past releases, I would not consider the Acq Inc. and Wildemount books as part of "core" releases. This isn't because they aren't good books, or that they aren't substantial releases (both are true), but the teams who wrote those books are practically entirely non-WotC staff. The editing and art layout I believe had final WotC approval, but the bulk of the writing was completed by either Penny Arcade or Critical Role, meaning that neither book took up much of WotC's time. Meaning, both books are really "bonus" books that aren't indicative of future releases, as these bonus books are very unpredictable.

That said, I think there are some obvious patterns we can divine, especially when we consider the various hints and teases we've gotten.

1. A setting book. Not two, just one. Wildemount was a bonus, and when we don't consider it core, there is one setting per year the past three years. It makes sense the next setting book will be a "legacy" setting. I'm not sure which, but I would say either Ravenloft, Planescape or Dark Sun; all are popular, and have gotten various hints. Not sure which, either makes sense to me, but Dark Sun may require more UA articles released hinting at it.

2. The main adventure book. No idea what it will be about, but it will get the same normal Q3 release and big fanfare as Avernus, Icewind Dale, and every other annual adventure.

3. Monster Book. Specifically, dragon themed (5E Dragonomicon). Gem Dragons were first teased a while ago, there was a dragon themed UA recently. Plus, we haven't had a new monster book for two years; it all makes sense.

4. The "short adventure compilation book" was recently teased again recently. I don't think this book would ever be completely shelved, so I'm thinking this is coming in 2021 as well.

With all that, it's four books, one per quarter, so I think that's the release schedule. Maybe there will be another bonus release like a box, redux or bonus book as well but I can't predict those. The annual adventure will come in Q3, I'd say the setting comes in Q4, and the other two are in Q1/Q2.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Well, we know that Candlekeep Mysteries is our Q1 book, the short adventure compilation. So that's one down. So, a setting book, and a monster or campaign book.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
My prediction, based on the upcoming Neverwinter addition, is that the 2nd semester adventure and another campaign book will be Fae-themed, and just as Ravnica came along Waterdeep in regards to city-themes, I predict we’ll get an Eldraine MtG D&D book (which I hope is true, since I love it) and a Feywild-related FR adventure. Plus, Tasha's has a lot of Feywild references...

Last edited:

Remove ads