Rich beyond dreams (El Jefe Judging)

Phoenix8008

Visitor
OOC: Can you describe the room that the dam is in again, plus a quick review of the path from there back to the well? Maybe there is some factor in the enviroment that can be used to our advantage in outrunning the flood, since it looks like that's nearly our only option. (Our only quick option at least.) Otherwise, we go topside and try to find some stuff that we can burn enough of to get the dam itself burning despite it's wetness. It would have to be a pretty big and hot firethough! Or, we can have the sailors go back topside with Lookspring (because he hates being wet) and Phoenix will volunteer to chop at the dam with her mind blade or punch holes in it to let the water out without breaking the dam maybe. Using her Psionic weapon feat she can do 3d6+3 which should cut through its hardness mostly. If it does break though, she would just have to do her best to outrun it and or swim back to the rope down the well. This scenario is why I'm wanting a description of the room/route again with an eye towards escaping quickly. What do you think, Selc? Any other ideas?
 
Last edited:

BigB

Visitor
A large wooden dam rises up 15ft from the cavern floor. Along the top of the dam are several barriers. There is only a trickle of water seeping through the dam but you can hear heavy sounds of rushing water on the other side. The Dwarven construction is solid so destroying the dam won't be easy.


ooc: I will work on a simple map to show the layout.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

Visitor
"Okay, Lookspring what do you think about this plan: I'll stay here at the dam and start trying to weaken it here," she points at the middle of the structure "while you take the sailors and go topside to gather burnable wood, grass, or whatever for a bonfire and throw it down the well. If we leave a couple of the sailors at the bottom of the well shaft, they can transport that stuff over here to the dam and start piling it up in the corners here away from the stream in the middle, so it all stays dry. Then, one of two things happens- either I manage to bring the dam down before we light the fire and me and the two best swimmers run our butts off to get to the well and get out, or it's weakened some by me and when we have the kindling stacked as high and deep as we can, we light it up and get out of here before the fire burns the logs away enough to breach the dam hopefully. We can watch and listen down the well while waiting to see if the fire does the trick. If after an hour or so there's no change, then we (or I) go back down and see what condition the dam is in and plan our next move."
 
Last edited:
"Something that explodes would be the best route though! Maybe the natives have some kind of oily palm leaf, or the captain might have some barrels of lantern oil. If not, like you said, we can start throwing debris down in and hope that the wood of the dam isn't too damp to catch fire. At least it won't be me down in the hole when the whole thing tears open and floods this place.
Let's send a runner to the villagers and see what they can provide us, meanwhile we'll throw wood and stuff down in here for you."
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
OOC- Okay, so Phoenix stays down by the dam and starts using her mindblade to carve into the dam as best she can. Guessing at a hardness of 5 which is normal for wood, but as thick as it is, it'll have tons of HP's. She can do 3d6+3 then refocus to do 3d6+3 again, unless it's faster to hit it once every round with the regular 1d6+3. Whichever seems to do better. Obviously, if it get to the point of showing strain or likelyhood of breakage, she'll back off some and start lobbing her mindblade from range to give her a little more running room.

We'll send one sailor back to the village to ask them if they have anything that could be used to help us make a big boom. :) One or two sailors can stay down the well with Phoenix transporting wood thrown down to the dam. If the dam starts to go at any point and they are still down there, Phoenix will scream her lungs out yelling to give them as much time as possible to get up the rope ahead of her.

The other few sailors will help Lookspring to gather burnable stuff from the surrounding jungle to throw down the well.

Start all that in motion and let's see what happens from there... :uhoh:
 
Last edited:

BigB

Visitor
As Lookspring and his band of merry men go to gather burnable stuff they see their pile of loot gathered at the well.
OOC: I assume they will begin hauling it up and out first


Phoenix begins hacking at a support for the dam. hacking and hacking and hacking her arm begins to tire but she keeps going and finally it begins to give way. The dam begins to bulge where the support has broken but does not break. Phoenix picks another support and more hacking and hacking and hacking as her arm is on fire burning with fatigue and finally it appears it may burst soon as she backs away and throws her mindblade. With a loud cracking sound as if lightning struck in the back of her mind she is hit with a wall of water.

strength check and swim check for phoenix.
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
OOC: Yes, we hauled all the loot up and out when the majority of the party went topside. ;)

Phoenix, her arm burning with fatigue, finally starts seeing signs of stress on the dam. She yells back down the tunnel to the sailors that have been ferrying the burnable materials from the well chamber, "Listen good, fellas! This thing is getting ready to go, so get your arses up that rope and topside before we find out how good you can swim!" Waiting just a bit to make sire that they have time to evacuate, Phoenix moves as far from the dam as she can while still being able to throw her mindblade at it. Holding her sore right arm up with her left hand, she charges the mindblade one more time and aims for the dam. Blasting the shard of mental energy out of her, she sees it splash against the surface and puncture the final barrier of the dam. The force of the water takes care of the rest as the whole thing comes apart faster than she could have believed. Before she's even able to turn and run, the wall of water explodes towards her and sweeps her up! Gulping what she hopes isn't her last breath of air, she does her best to swim with the current and go towards the chamber where the well exit is...
Phoenix Strength check and Swim check (1d20+3=23, 1d20+1=14)

OOC: Aww, man! I meant to post above that she would remove her armor before starting this, so her swim checks would be better by 2 points. But I didn't, so I guess I'll just have to suffer with a +1 swim check. What's the worst that could happen, she could drown and I start with new level 2 or 3 character! :confused: :uhoh: :\ :heh:
 
Last edited:
Lookspring calls for the sailors to grab hold of his rope. "Hang tight and start to pull if you feel anything grab hold. Maybe we can fish her out before she washes away. " Especially with all that valuable gear. He thinks to himself. He peers back down into the dark well trying to get a better look at the action, and to tell the sailors when to start pulling of course...
 

BigB

Visitor
Phoenix braces against the force of water and defies the odds standing strong against the force of nature and manages to stay on her feet. The water is just over her waist but she is able to make her way to the rope.
 
Spotting a flash of red hair, Lookspring shouts to the sailors. "Ha, she made it! I should have put a bet on her. Pull!" He directs the sailors as they begin to haul in the slack.
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
Finally seeing the rope ahead, she thinks to herself 'Sure would've been smarter to take my armor off before attempting that. Not to mention maybe tying a sunrod to the rope here so it could be found if I was underwater...'

Seeing the circle of light above her, she notices someone staring down the well and waves up to them while yelling "I made it! I'm coming up." The actual climbing is a little more difficult with her right arm as fatigued as it is. Luckily for her, the sailors begin pulling up the rope with her on it until she is at the edge of the well and clambering out onto the ground. Rolling over onto her back, she closes her eyes against the brightness of the sun and just lays there resting for a minute of blissful peace while the water drains off of her.

Eventually, she pushes herself up off the ground and helps the others prepare to get moving again. "Back to the village then, right Lookspring? Are you as ready as I am to be off of this rock? Let's get our trading done, make some money, and set sail!" Phoenix exclaims as they walk the trail back to the village.
 
"That's the best sounding idea I've heard all day. Undead, dwarves, tunnels, and the water... The sooner we're off this gods-forsaken rock the better. Lets just hope the natives are suitably appreciative of our hard work. " Otherwise they're going to need this well to extinguish their huts!
 

BigB

Visitor
Carrying the newfound treausre each member of the party is fairly encumbered making the walk to the village a long one. Finally, just before sunset you can see the village ahead.

As you enter the village the village elder approaches you. Ahhh I see you have returned, successfully I hope.
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
Phoenix nods and gives a half bow to the elder before speaking, "Indeed sir, we have been successful. The undead are destroyed, the underground dwarves are defeated, and the dam they built which cut off your water supply has been destroyed."
 
"And not without a great deal of difficulty. We battled long and hard to restore your water. Much blood was spilt, some of it being our own. I'm hoping that your people will recognize the length that we went through to help them."
 

BigB

Visitor
The village Elder nods respectfully. It seems the gods have delivered you to us in our time of need. Please join me at my hut. He turns and walks to his hut. As you follow a crowd gathers and grows. By the time you reach the elders hut there is a large crowd, more than you would have thought a village this size can hold. The chief enters his hut and soon returns carrying an ornamented wooden box inlaid with gold pictures depicting the village and villagers. We offer this to you in thanks so that you may remember our gratitude. He motions for Phoenix and Lookspring to sit facing the growing crowd. As you do he places the box in front of the two of you. He then steps behind you and the villagers begin approaching in small groups bowing to you and thanking you dropping small pearls into the box. The procession seems to last forever but you endure as they are filling the box with pearls. As the last villager drops a pearl and walks off the sun begins to rise and you realize you have spent the entire night with the villagers. Prepare your goods the people are setting up for trade. The elder then retreats inside his hut.
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
Phoenix returns to the ship to inform the captain that trading can now commence. She gathers the items she has brought personally in the 5 chests and with the help of some sailors, returns to the village to begin trading. Along the way, she talks with Lookspring. "Hey, I was thinking. (I know, a bad idea...) Maybe we could give those half dozen or so sailors that helped us against the undead and the dwarves each one of the smaller pearls we got from the villagers. I think that they earned it after risking their lives too. What'dya say, Lookspring?"

After talking, they make it back to the village and Phoenix sets out her wares for sale.

5 Bells x1gp = 5gp
5 Chests x2gp = 10gp
10 Hammers x 5sp = 5gp
3 Mirror, Sm. Steel x 10gp = 30gp
5 Miner's Picks x 3gp = 15gp
20 Iron Pots x 5sp = 10gp
50 Whetstones x 2cp = 1gp
10 Daggers x 2gp = 20gp
5 Handaxe's x 6gp = 30gp
-----------------------------
Total funds spent for trade = 126gp

OOC: If Lookspring agrees, then you can deduct a little from the pearls to give as thanks to the sailors BigB. As for the stuff for sale, are you going to do it individually via RPing or just handwave the process and say we made X amount of profit? (My preference would be the handwave ;)) Especially since I assume these folks are gonna be paying in pearls mostly and not the standard gold, silver, and copper...although precieous gems or jewlry would be acceptable to Phoenix as well. :) Might even add some to her wardrobe!
 

BigB

Visitor
Phoenix8008 said:
OOC: If Lookspring agrees, then you can deduct a little from the pearls to give as thanks to the sailors BigB. As for the stuff for sale, are you going to do it individually via RPing or just handwave the process and say we made X amount of profit? (My preference would be the handwave ;)) Especially since I assume these folks are gonna be paying in pearls mostly and not the standard gold, silver, and copper...although precieous gems or jewlry would be acceptable to Phoenix as well. :) Might even add some to her wardrobe!

ooc: it will be a handwave if SelcSilverhand agrees. I had a preset amount of profit in the adventure write up which is generous by the way.
 

Advertisement

Top