Rider of the Flame (Nolins PrC?)

Rashak Mani

First Post
What is this Prestige Class ? Homebrew from Piratecats campaign ? Where did it come from ?

Does this kill Nolin too ? Or just those around him ?
Phoenix's Wrath: One round after Rider goes unconscious, a 10d6 fireball erupts around his body.

Caliber

Explorer
PKityy or KidC could likely give more detail than I, but here is the little I've gleaned from the storyhour.

Rider of the Flame is a custom homebrew PrC, built to reflect the abilities Nolin gains from sharing a soul with a Phoniex.

Among many fire abilities, Nolin's hair constantly burns, he can grow fiery wings and fly, and he explodes when he falls unconscious.

I am not sure if he is totally immune to fire, but none of the abilities I know about hurt him.

Hope I could help a little.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Holy cow! I didn't expect to see this thread.

So, at the risk of making this purely a House Rules thread, here are the fast basics of the Prestige Class. One of the obvious pre-reqquisites, of course, is that you have to have a phoenix sharing your soul; that doesn't make it exactly popular. :)

BAB: as per Wizard

Saves: good saves are Fort, Will; bad save is Ref.

Skill points: 2 pts per lvl. I'll have to find the class skills, as I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Lvl 1: Flame-touched (no control; your hair burns constantly as per a torch), Fury of rebirth (firestorm upon death), Skin afire (2 pt fire reduction); +1 caster lvl

Lvl 2: Natural armor +1, Screech of the phoenix (opponents within 30' slowed for one round, DC 13+charisma bonus), +1 caster lvl

Lvl 3: Flame-touched (can temporarily stop the flame), skin afire (5 pts fire damage reduction), prot vs evil added to spell list, +1 caster lvl

Lvl 4: Natural armor +2, gust of wind added to spell list, +1 caster lvl

Lvl 5: Flametouched (control), burning hands and polymorph self (bird only) added to spell list, +1 caster lvl

Lvl 6: Natural armor +3, fireball added to spell list, +1 caster lvl

Lvl 7: skin afire (10 pts), fly once/day, phoenix's wrath (involuntary fireball upon unconsciousness), +1 caster lvl

Lvl 8: Natural armor +4, flame-touched (mastery - burning eyes!), flame strike added to spell list, +1 caster lvl

Lvl 9: Skin afire (immune to fire), become an Outsider (with everything that entails), +1 caster level

Lvl 10: Natural armor +5, fire storm once per week, +1 caster level

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
Nice ! Sort of like the Skin Acolyte with Pheonix. I suppose this homebrew came about due to some phoenix and a character getting overclose... :)

How was the joining ceremony ? Why did the Pheonix want to do that ?

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
IIRC Nolin the bard was killed while wearing a "cloak of the phoenix" (by inch-high goblins), and that started the whole shenanigans.

I wonder if Nolin has ever gone unconcsious and wiped out party members/cohorts :)

Rashak Mani

First Post
Kind of reminds me of figting draconians... whenever one of them dies everybody starts running away to avoid after-death effects... :)

"NOLINS DOWN !! RUN FOR IT !!"

Remove ads