Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

concerro

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

I am at the end of this one now. I like it a lot because the story is coherent. I would run it again if I had the chance.

Wicht

Hero

I ran this adventure path for my family and it took us two years to complete. But several years later, my children still talk about it. It is not perfect, but I suspect for years to come this is the adventure path by which all others will be judged

Greyson

Explorer

Rise of the Runelords is a solid introduction to Paizo's world of Golarion. This adventure path is beautifully rendered and each installment has a wealth of information on geography, people and cultures, monsters and history. Combined with the Companion, RotRL makes the near-perfect campaign. The adventures are compelling, the NPCs interesting, and the story is rich with theme and mood. Golarion, for being new in this adventure path, is richly presented and comes with a lot of deep history.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
4 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

I enjoyed DMing this for our group and the group had fun playing, great storyline!

sheelba

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

I really liked the lead in, the foresighted links and the occasional red herring. Imaginative and fun. And very, very hard

Enrico Poli

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

Player two times. Best scenes: the initial goblin attack, the Creek Ogres in the third module, the stone giant siege,Golthagga, and the final fight with the BBEG. Otherwise, a bit boring. Paizo had come a MUCH better job with Age of Worms and Savage Tide.

zztong

Explorer
1 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

This is my least favorite AP. The attempt to explore early Golarion lore was appreciated, but I didn't find the execution to be very compelling. The later modules felt like torture at our gaming table. I still cringe when I see a sihedron rune.

Last edited:

DocShoveller

First Post

I had initially feared that RotR would just be collection of dungeons, but the campaign makes use of many styles of play (detective work, mass combat, hexcrawl/stronghold play is included as an option) and I found its variety allowed it to keep my enthusiasm for around two years of play. The NPCs are memorable and the villain can be played proactively. We found that we really bonded with the town of Sandpoint. There's lots to recommend here: some fantastic set-piece combats throughout the series, support for inventive players, puzzles, character interaction. The revised (anniversary) edition fills in a few of the original's blanks, which is very helpful. The original books 5 & 6 suffer from some of the issues of high-level 3.5 arbitrariness ("this spell = success; absence of this spell = do not progress") that the anniversary edition attempts to correct and that some GMs will simply want to handwave. Parts of the AP are definitely aimed at an adult audience (books 2 and 3) and are not for the faint-hearted - despite this, they are filled with atmospheric scenes that more than outweigh any tastelessness. In summary, RotR will stand the test of time as a campaign that brings out what people like best in a high fantasy RPG - action, mystery, adventure.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases