• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rituals

djdaidouji

First Post
coyote6 said:
I just noticed that ritual names aren't italicized; no more raise dead, now it's Raise Dead. Does that count as another Sacred Cow (or should I say, sacred cow) chopped up and tossed on the grill?
Oh, ohhh. D: I thought I was being smart by adding italics. Though power names still have italics, I believe.

Though note that the article might not be exact to the book. "Residuum" is spelled once in italics and one without, so there may not be a definitive rule on it.

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
Interesting. I like it.

For one thing, the DM can contol the flow of components. Maybe Healing components are very rare, or only available in a certain place, or you actually have to quest to get them. That works. Also, diseases have teeth for perhaps the first time in the history of the game... just having the levels enough to cast Cure Disease does not mean that all of the sudden you can be a walking Mayo Clinic. A disease might be too tough (high level), and it is risky to the patient in any event. That opens up more "find the cure" plot hook possibilities than before.

Also, since Rituals themselves are not gained by level but are only found in books or on scrolls, it is very very easy for the DM to control ritual access. Don't like a particular ritual? Don't give it out. Or make it really rare.

Now, for a spellcaster, a book with a certain ritual can be a fabulous treasure. In fact, it might be the object of an entire quest or even campaign.

Cadfan

First Post
I really like the way they handled the costs. You need "Generic Components (tm)" of the appropriate type. You purchase your Generic Components (tm) in advance, and use them up as you go.

This is far better than the 3e system of 1. handwaving all the little components even when it wasn't the sort of thing that made sense to handwave, and 2. forgetting to purchase expensive components and then just marking the GP directly off of your character sheet when you cast something with a material cost.

I'm far more likely to remember to purchase my cleric a small case of salves and oils, and since (unlike with arrows) using them up will be an important event, I'll remember to track them.

Ten

First Post
I am actually really, really shocked. The way people were building up rituals as the be all and end all, the savior of 4e had me worried. I could just feel the let down heading towards us day by day.

But...everything in this article I liked. I love what they are doing with rituals. They are everything I expected them to be. It's really, really surprising.

djdaidouji

First Post
It seems my dislike of generic components isn't common. Perhaps I'm missing something? Though I guess for a game like this, it makes sense to streamline it and not have people buy specifics for everything, but its just... Everything else that seems like a video game is only so due to mechanics. This seems like a video game in flavor as well.

(Though I guess it isn't terrible. I can get over the fact that botanists only need to know if a plant is rare or not, not names or origins or anything.)

Korgoth

First Post
djdaidouji said:
It seems my dislike of generic components isn't common. Perhaps I'm missing something? Though I guess for a game like this, it makes sense to streamline it and not have people buy specifics for everything, but its just... Everything else that seems like a video game is only so due to mechanics. This seems like a video game in flavor as well.

(Though I guess it isn't terrible. I can get over the fact that botanists only need to know if a plant is rare or not, not names or origins or anything.)

Well, I would think that many rituals might use the same reagents, just in different quantities, etc. Lots of rituals call for the use of Powdered Rumpus Root, sometimes a pinch and sometimes a tablespoon. The wizard basically totes around a chemistry set for his arcane rituals. He's got powdered silver, mercury, aqua fortis, etc. He uses the same stuff over in differing quantities.

And it's not outside the DM's power to rule that no, this ritual requires 4 kilos of Powdered Basilisk Face and you're fresh out. Time to go on a quest, punk.

Stalker0

Legend
It seems like they changed raise dead, it no longer mentions you having to have a special destiny to get raised.

Or perhaps that's in a different section of the book.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I love it. This is one of the most exciting things in the new edition for me. More DM control over what is (and isn't available), and it's considerably more flavorsome than 3e. Instead of... "Bob died. I'll take a raise dead instead of a flame strike when I prep tonight"... it becomes "Bob died. It's a good thing we quested to the Lost Tombs of Artek-May to recover that ancient ritual scroll, and purchased rare oils from the elves of Wendelholm. Now remember, we only get one shot at this...".

The cure disease example is particularly exciting. I can't recall the last time I saw *tension* when someone was diseased. It takes a day or more to incubate, it knocks off a few stat points, and then someone buys/casts the inevitable cure disease. Now, it could actually kill you! Awesome.

hong

WotC's bitch
Stalker0 said:
It seems like they changed raise dead, it no longer mentions you having to have a special destiny to get raised.

Or perhaps that's in a different section of the book.
They never actually said that raise dead requires a special destiny. That was something that Keith Baker mentioned in passing, and everyone jumped on. KB posting a correction didn't stop the jumping to conclusions either.

Remove ads