Level Up (A5E) Roaring Pause OP?

VelvetHobo

Villager

"Roaring Pause​

When initiative is rolled you can expend one use of Rage to make an Intimidation check (DC 8 + number of creatures that rolled initiative) to briefly unveil the boundless fury within in a furious roar. On a success each creature stops what it is doing and can only make statements and a Deception, Intimidation, or Persuasion check on its turn. On a success by 5 or more initiative is rerolled, and you choose a number of creatures equal to your Constitution modifier to gain advantage on their initiative roll."

This seems to me to be an instant surprise round with minimal effort. A party of 4 taking on a BBEG and 2 minions would need to roll 15 or higher on Intimidation to get a free round of combat. Enemies cannot move, cannot attack, cannot take any reactions or bonus actions all while the party of 4 gets to wail away. And if the check roll is 20 or more (not easy, but at higher levels and/or with a build that goes heavy into intimidation it could be easy) the party gets a free round AND gets to re-roll their initiatives with advantage - meaning they are likely to strike first once the enemy can actually act.

Am I missing something here? To make matters worse, I don't see any way to counter this easily - it doesn't force a condition (which could be cured or countered with an immunity) and seems to just work every time. I don't see how I can allow this in my games as written.

eayres33

Explorer
It says each creature so I read that as allies as well, which if that is the case it nerfs it a bit.

Its powerful but I don't think it's OP if it freezes allies as well.

Stalker0

Legend
It says each creature so I read that as allies as well, which if that is the case it nerfs it a bit.

Its powerful but I don't think it's OP if it freezes allies as well.
Good catch, I was about to go "holy crap that is so OP", but if you do rule that all other creatures stop....then yeah its nice but its not super powerful.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Like others have noted, it says "creatures" and therefore means everyone involved in the combat. There's no one wailing away while others are stopped. Everyone just argues for a round.

"See my friend there? He's gonna crush you."

"Eep!"

Rune

Once A Fool
So, if you have two characters succeed with this ability, do they cancel each other out? Or do they both stop one at a time?

VelvetHobo

Villager
Thanks for the input. I think it must be fairly read that all creatures who rolled initiative (including the one that used the shout) are either affected, or not affected. That does avoid abuse (as someone above stated, there can be no one wailing away for a round) and makes it a very unique and interesting ability.

MarkB

Legend
It feels super-weird, though. This affects all creatures, regardless of whether they have immunity to mental effects, or fear, regardless of whether they can even hear you? A bunch of mindless undead are going to stop for a debate when combat breaks out?

VelvetHobo

Villager
It feels super-weird, though. This affects all creatures, regardless of whether they have immunity to mental effects, or fear, regardless of whether they can even hear you? A bunch of mindless undead are going to stop for a debate when combat breaks out?

Good point. I don't see why a Golem would react to a roar, no matter how much boundless fury lies behind it. I'm really on the fence with this ability. It seems like it was made to work the way it does "just because". The fact that it lies totally outside the action economy and effects everyone (or no one) just because are hard points for me to get past.

It appears to be a neat idea, that is suffering from poor design (in that it must break the rules to work as intended).

Remove ads