• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robert J. Schwalb removed all 5E OGL products from DriveThru

JEB

Legend

Was about to post a review of Schwalb's 5E product Forbidden Knowledge today and was very confused when I couldn't find it... this was why. Kind of a shame, since his OGL 5E warlord was one of the better attempts out there.

Technically this is fairly old news (9 January) but since I just noticed, figured I'd send out an alert. If you have a copy of his 5E stuff, make sure to back it up somewhere...

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I'm a huge fan of Schwalb's Shadow of the Demon Lord, and am eagerly awaiting his Shadow of the Weird Wizard kickstarter, which is more of a direct 5E competitor genre-wise.

It does suck for D&D fans that he's taken his 5E stuff down, as a solid portion of it was quite good. But given that very few creators have the ability to fight WotC if/when they do get lawyerly, I don't blame any of them for avoiding the mess entirely.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Doesn't this really just hurt the fans more than anyone? I am not understanding this move really. I kinda see why, but if I think about...I'm not to sure.
I would think it hurts him mostly, followed by the fans, and then WotC far behind (as in not at all). But I can't speak for him -- I assume his motives aren't to hurt WotC (as that's not possible) and may be more personal? I don't know!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Was about to post a review of Schwalb's 5E product Forbidden Knowledge today and was very confused when I couldn't find it... this was why. Kind of a shame, since his OGL 5E warlord was one of the better attempts out there.

Technically this is fairly old news (9 January) but since I just noticed, figured I'd send out an alert. If you have a copy of his 5E stuff, make sure to back it up somewhere...
You made me nervous, so I checked my files and remembered I had already purchased it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would think it hurts him mostly, followed by the fans, and then WotC far behind (as in not at all).
It doesn't hurt D&D not at all, if he has fans -- as I'm sure must exist -- who buy his 5E stuff almost exclusively to use with the core D&D books. Certainly not millions of customers, but they exist.

If I didn't have access to third party stuff, which is the bulk of my collection, as it has been since the 3E era, I wouldn't be running 5E games today. (No, I wouldn't buy Ravnica instead of Ptolus -- WotC literally doesn't make equivalent things that I could have bought instead.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In any case, this is my worst case scenario. I don't have the money to put everything I want in a lifeboat at this moment, and some third party companies are really bad about communicating what they're doing during the OGL fiasco. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and see a game I want is gone.

Remove ads