• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robin Hobb: Recommendations

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The friend who put me onto the liveship trilogy once said that the problem with the books is that every fricking chapter should start with "and then things went terribly wrong". The books have some wonderful ideas and some interesting characters, but if you enjoy getting invested in a character, I think you should know that Hobb sometimes punishes this. In the liveship traders, one main character and one minor but sympathetic character are brutally raped, disbelieved or trivialized in followup, and the emotional fallout from one is resolved in a completely unsatisfying way. These are unrelated rapes, a third main character is coerced with the threat of rape and a fourth is raped "off camera" but at least gets to beat her assailents head into the floor later. If this isn't what you want to see happening to your point of veiw heroes, don't read Liveship.

The assassin books tend more towards torture and all the crap happens to a single point of veiw character, but there is still the "and then things went terribly wrong" sort of vibe. There were times when things seemed to be going wrong just for the sake of going wrong and to be honest it could get anoying at times. But again, interesting characters, fascinating ideas. Good narrative overall as well, and the main character does occasionally catch a break.

I would love to roleplay in Hobb's world, but not with her a DM. :confused:

CarlZog

Explorer
I liked Liveship Traders. It had some great ideas, but KB is right; Hobb doesn't pull punches with her lead characters.

If you're used to heroes escaping danger in the nick of time, it can be surprising and a little depressing to see her characters beat down by the world around them. Nor does she let them shrug off the effects of their troubles; they are mentally and emotionally scarred by it, and Hobb does really make you feel their pain. But then, I suppose that's the mark of a good writer.

Carl

Kahuna Burger

First Post
CarlZog said:
I liked Liveship Traders. It had some great ideas, but KB is right; Hobb doesn't pull punches with her lead characters.

If you're used to heroes escaping danger in the nick of time, it can be surprising and a little depressing to see her characters beat down by the world around them. Nor does she let them shrug off the effects of their troubles; they are mentally and emotionally scarred by it, and Hobb does really make you feel their pain. But then, I suppose that's the mark of a good writer.

Carl
making you feel is the mark of a good writer. What they choose to make you feel is the factor that defines who will and will not like a writer. ;)

I wouldn't say that she "doesn't pull punches". It is entirely her decision whether any punches will be thrown at particular characters in the first place. The way that things turn out in her books is no more realistic than any other fantasy story, its just her choice of what happens and how to focus on it. (On the latter decision, one could contrast how the reader is informedof the abuse of Ela with the near play by play of the virgin companion. Neither one was more realistic or better writing, both accomplished their story and characterisation goals equally well, but one detacted me from the story, in the end making me feel less, not more.)

I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, I agree Hobb is a good writer, but the abuse of her characters doesn't make her a better writer, just one who will have a more polarized apeal.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Hobb is one of my favorite authors with regards to humanization of characters. That is to say, not just making them interesting characters with interesting personalities, but making them seem human as well. So you do get invested in characters, and when bad things happen it really does bother you. Hell, they could be things that people you know go through - minus the fantasy, of course. As a result, I feel Hobb also does relationships really well too. And not all of that is depressing - the idea that friends and family do exist, and help with your problems, that are willing to accept you shortcomings - that, to me, is very uplifting.

I enjoyed the Assassin trilogy - is that the same as the Farseer trilogy?

However I prefered the Liveship Traders. This one started slowly and got more interesting, whereas with the Assassin trilogy it seemed to me that it started well and then got less interesting.

What I especially like is that I never have a clue where she is going with her story - its far from a standard fantasy series.

drothgery

First Post
amethal said:
I enjoyed the Assassin trilogy - is that the same as the Farseer trilogy?

Yup. The Farseer Trilogy is Assassin's Apprentice, Assassin's Quest, and Royal Assassin. The Tawny Man Trilogy is Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, and Fool's Fate.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I enjoyed all three series but the first one is the best.

The second one, the author made the character TOO unlikeable at first and you really have to warm up to them, but after you figure out that it's a poorly implemented deliberate writing action as opposed to just bad writing, it's not too bad.

The tie ins to the third trilogy from the second are okay, but should've been more solid.

CarlZog

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
making you feel is the mark of a good writer. What they choose to make you feel is the factor that defines who will and will not like a writer. ;)

I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, I agree Hobb is a good writer, but the abuse of her characters doesn't make her a better writer, just one who will have a more polarized apeal.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Carl

Remove ads