Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG Review

It was hard to know what to expect when opening up a Robotech RPG. Would it be a game about giant robots punching each other through space or 80s pop-star drama? Would it be a campy slice of entertainment or a weirdly edited tangle of confusion? The answer, it turned out, was "yes".

It was hard to know what to expect when opening up a Robotech RPG. Would it be a game about giant robots punching each other through space or 80s pop-star drama? Would it be a campy slice of entertainment or a weirdly edited tangle of confusion? The answer, it turned out, was "yes".

Robotech-3D-Blank-Book-Cover-3.jpg

Formed from the Frankenstiened remains of three completely different anime series, Robotech was the first show to try and bring the mecha genre to western audiences. It told a choppy story of alien invasion and human heroism set against a background of over-the-top drama that focused on the support staff just as much as the fighters on the front-line, a combination that proved popular enough to warrant an RPG adaptation 34 years down the line.

It was an unusual take for cartoons at the time and is honestly kind of an odd angle for an RPG to pursue these days. When you roll up a party of heroes for Robotech you're unlikely to end up with a squad full of fighters who'll engage directly with the enemy, and instead find yourself playing with an ace pilot, a bridge officer and an exiled princess.

Indeed, for all of its skill lists and number-crunching, Robotech plays much closer to a narrative-driven storytelling game than a D&D-clone. Rather than stats, for example, characters are built using tag-like skills that players are encouraged to work into as many situations as possible. An engineer with four points in "I Can Fix It" isn't just a great mechanic, but can also put her skills to use when patching up a relationship or pulling together a squad's shattered morale.

It's a weird little system that is open to easy gamesmanship if players want to always use their best skills, but somehow it seems to work - most of the time, anyway. Strangely, combat is possibly the least enjoyable part of the game, simply because it requires players and GMs to start tracking a handful of sub-systems and rules that can be more than a little flddley. The pace of play drops and the GM is forced to conjure up a way that the pop-star entertainer can contribute to the battle that isn't just jumping on the comms system for a rousing speech.

Appropriately enough, it sometimes feels like the Robotech RPG is the product of two games spliced together - one focussed on narrative and drama, and another that revels in modifying mecha and tooling up the guns aboard a capital ship. Meshing the two playstyles isn't impossible, but does require a GM and players willing to devote time and effort to the endeavour.

If the Robotech had been a run-of-the-mill attempt at a generic mecha RPG it would probably be quickly consigned to the dusty bookshelves of forgotten systems. By choosing to instead embrace all the weird drama and retro camp of the original show the designers have produced something unique, and that makes it memorable.

Would I commit to a months-long campaign aboard the SDF-1? No, probably not. But if you have a fondness for the TV show and a willingness to play about with weird game systems it's certainly worth checking out.

Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

SMG_Jeff

Villager
I know Aramis was one of our first testers when the game was still in development. However, I want to insist that any type of game experience that PB offered the SMG system offers as well. I think the SMG version is far more tactical as your efforts are related to the 9 action types. That means if you roll well, you get what you want.

For example: In a tactical situation you may determine that the best course of action is to flank. So you use your skills, environment, and equipment to justify your flank and make it so. You can combo any of the 9 skills to provide the exact approach you want to use. The result of your actions is based on the situation and how you use your skills - this is very different from PB.

In standard simulation systems - like PB, your outcome is based on a number of simulation factors that may or may not be arbitrated by GM fiat and the limitations of vertical design. Many of these systems offer little horizontal design, and rely any and all horizontal play experience on GM fiat. The PB example would be that based on the speed you go in your mecha you might be able to make your flank, but all those enemy mecha might see you and each gets to roll to see you on the sensors, and then like 1 sees you and they talk, so all see you and your flank gets blown - so in essence, no flank maneuver happens in a meaningful or fulfilling way for the player.

All the SMG systems does is bypass the rabble. It already assumes all that stuff and assumes that you CAN accomplish what you want.

The big difference, in simulation systems to accomplish your goal, you must use a vertical design that forces you to step through a process that only provides a portion of the intent. With SMG, you get massive horizontal play that does not rely on GM fiat, but you also get to employ the whole intent of your action - not just a pseudo-simulacrum issued via skills like "Pistol".

JAAD

Villager
I participated in the playtests early on.
It was pick two actions, pick a suitable skill for each, assemble the pools, and check for successes on both. Gear adds to a skill pool, but only one gear bonus applies per turn, tho technically you can be using two for story purposes (EG: if you dodge and shoot in your veritech, either you're using the engines or the GU-11 for your bonus dice, but are using both for purposes of the actions taken). There was a convoluted dice modification system that modified which faces are successes, and difficulties in number of successes needed.

Looking at the redacted:
Pick two actions
One skill for each. One gets bonus dice from an [equipment] "kit".

You'll thus need mechanically two colors or sizes of d6's and you'll want at least 7 or 8 of one and 4 of the second. If you (or your GM) wants to know whether the equipment was important, a third color, but each at 4 dice should be fine.

The Advantage/Edge/Hindrance/Disadvantage system appears much streamlined... but it's unclear if the Advantage bonus level includes the edge level's modifier or not, and if not, whether you can apply both if they don't include the lesser.

I see several changes since playtest... and like the ones I've seen, noting the still lacking in clarity on dice modifer.
so been GMing this for a year now since its full release. you don't need differently colour coded dice. The GM interprets the entire result having regard to to the skills and equipment used to create the action. You will never need to treat it separately. as for the dice modifier, there is a chart in the book which clarifies and the Advantage, edge etc is clarified in that the different modifiers can stack.

JAAD

Villager
I would love to read a knowledgeable reviewer's comparison of the old Palladium Robotech system VS this Strange Machines version VS the Savage Worlds Robotech conversion from Battlefield Press. Tell me how the lore presentation and rules systems stack up.
okay. i own all 3 versions and have GM'd the SMG as my preferred version since it came out. The old Palladium game is a mess, with copy paste rules thats a nightmare to learn. barring that its very restrictive and tries to lean highly into pure simulation, a highly specific skills for everything and super amounts of details with exact numbers everywhere but horribly unbalanced. you can kill a giant mecha with a handgun that deals more damage then a mecha sized particle cannon. The character creation limits your adventure space and has you commit to a single role. however you can end up with stats that allow you to run faster then some mecha and lift some. its Lore is contradictory, outdated and a mess.

SMG is well layed out. The Lore is updated and had dedicated sections to world and the story itself. The game is less simulation based with a higher emphasis on player freedom. despite being more narrative in nature, the combat system is deceptive. because you use umbrella skills to justify your actions and what you are doing its less restrictive letting your imagination take flight so long as you can justify how you are achieving your goal. that said, the combat and system has a lot of crunch depth and mechanical interactions to help you further create more cinematic and fast flowing battles. the system has been tailor made for Mecha combat and has a number of different mechanical toolbox options to let GM's run their games with their preferences with high lethal options, hardcore options, more hard simulation rules.

The Savage worlds is a typical re-skin of their system. it works some of the time and is more simulation then SMG. that said, it shares much of the SMG copies good art and lore with minor differences between the two based on the Savage worlds slightly different interpretation of the story. the Savage worlds has some interesting design options and features for generating advantures and doing stuff but the depth of combat is a little lacking but its easier to play then the old Palladium Books.

i hope this helps.

God

Adventurer
The old Palladium game is a mess, with copy paste rules thats a nightmare to learn. barring that its very restrictive and tries to lean highly into pure simulation, a highly specific skills for everything and super amounts of details with exact numbers everywhere but horribly unbalanced.

That is an accurate two-sentence definition of the Palladium system. :ROFLMAO:

Appreciate the comparison.

Eubani

Legend
I have been GMing with this system ever since the playtest and love it for its freedom and versatility. The rules enable a great flow and do not get in the way of story telling or combat. One thing that has yet to really be touched upon much in this thread is how hackable and convertible the system is to use with other properties and genre. I have converted this system to use with Battletech, Transformers and my own fantasy world. This is a well crafted system that makes the characters, world and story center stage and does not favour one character type over another.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads