Roger Raupp

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Can anyone confirm if artist Roger Raupp has died? Someone has been trying to edit his Wikipedia page asserting that he changed his name to Rudy Didier Rauben and died 12/17/2019 in Bellingham WA. The only source they gave was BoardGameGeek, which is a fine website but since it can be edited by anyone it is not considered a reliable source (especially for personal information) and the person adding that info also claimed to be getting that information directly from the family. Is there any way to confirm if he actually has died, and that this is not a hoax or some misinformation, or someone getting two different people mixed up? I don't know if he had an obit, but plenty of gaming folks who have died and did not get obits were at least recognized by some gaming sites with a trustworthy reputation.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Interesting. I wonder if there are any other sites that corroborate this information?

Rowan

Explorer
I was originally the person who tried to change the status for Rudy (Roger) on Wikipedia because he contributed a significant amount of art to this industry. He was one of the original artists for the Everway roleplaying game, so I recently had to track him down to update his contact information for the new edition I'm about to publish in order to pay him royalties. I was corresponding with him in 2012, but after that he dropped off the grid and his email service disconnected. I visited him in the hospital in Bellingham, Washington on November 24, 2019, where he was dying of liver failure. When he stopped responding to my emails on his new email service, I contacted his sister in Arizona. She confirmed that he died on December 17, 2019 in Bellingham, Washington. She also told me that no obituary was published, he was cremated, and his ashes were scattered in the Cascade Mountains. I'm sure you can order a death certificate from Bellingham, Washington from the Whatcom County health department, but I gave up on trying to let people know, because no one seemed to care. :-{

Jc139

Villager
He was very talented. Unfortunately, ultimately this society doesn't seem to have a ton of room for iconoclastic artists.

We had talked about working together on a project that I'm finally getting close to having ready to roll out, (Tales From When I Had A Face), his involvement didn't come to pass obviously, as it was shortly before we fell out of touch. So he's been on my mind... and this thread came up on ye old Google. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one.

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
I had the good fortune to work with Roger Raupp in the early 1990s. His art graces the cover of a RuneQuest supplement I wrote called Sun County. I worked with him on the art direction for this (and several other RQ releases), but back then that involved sending actual letters in the mail to each other, plus an occasional fax. We never actually met or spoke to each other, but I really enjoyed the collaboration and love the end result. I was saddened to learn of his passing a few years ago.

Sun County cover.png

I haven't heard people talk about the Church of the Sub-Genius in ages. Used to hang with a bunch of folks that were into it.

He changed his name. And sadly, is now gone.

You can read one of my first conversations with him here, from 2010. We went on to keep up a regular correspondence until 2016 or so. https://link.medium.com/vedKo1eKshb

As far as I can remember, the first Dragon magazine I saw was this one, with an amazing cover by Raupp:

1625153380241.png

Remove ads