D&D 5E Rogue expertise and Perception

LordPaulos

First Post
Just a quick question on the expertise skill

"...At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies...."

So if I have a 1st lvl character with a 15 wis (so a +2 modifier), and I have proficiency in perception, what happens if I take expertise in perception? Will my passive perception gain a benefit to this?

Teataine

Explorer
Well, strictly speaking, Passive Perception is not a check, to which Expertise applies. It's a static number. So unless it's specified somewhere else in the text, my call would be no.

Juriel

First Post
Well, strictly speaking, Passive Perception is not a check, to which Expertise applies. It's a static number. So unless it's specified somewhere else in the text, my call would be no.

EDITED: Actually, not true! Page 175 PHB, passive checks.

You get the double proficiency to passive Perception, as makes sense.

Without that, Rogues would be the worst scouts...

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes it is, passive perception is an ability check;

PHB175 Passive Checks: A passive check is a special kind of ability check that doesn’t involve any die rolls. Such a check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly...

Ashr

First Post
Just a quick question on the expertise skill

"...At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies...."

So if I have a 1st lvl character with a 15 wis (so a +2 modifier), and I have proficiency in perception, what happens if I take expertise in perception? Will my passive perception gain a benefit to this?

Very useful for a rogue scout. Doing this with mine right now. My wonder is whether the Observant feat (+5 to passive perception and investigation) would stack with that? If so, that would be a 21 passive perception, better than the avg roll.

Remove ads