[Rogue Games] Announcing the Colonial Gothic Primer

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've been interested in this for awhile now so I just picked up a copy as soon as I saw your post here. Looking forward to diving in. :)

rogue_richard

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
I've been interested in this for awhile now so I just picked up a copy as soon as I saw your post here. Looking forward to diving in. :)

Awesome! Thank you for your interest. The Primer took longer than I wanted to get out, but it was worth it.

Richard

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I'm really liking the 2d12 system. It's similar enough to d20 so it's easy to pick up (roll 2d12 add modifiers, compare to target number). The only difference is you want to roll target number or less, not more. However, your skill rank is the target number, so plus modifiers make a roll easier and negative ones make it harder (and modifiers only change target number, not dice roll). I especially love that combat rolls are skill based. It also feels much lighter than d20 or True20.

Any plans to use the 2d12 system for other games or genres? I know you developed it specifically for this setting, but I could see this system working well more generically in other types of games with a few name changes to things like the blessings and curses, for example.

rogue_richard

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
I'm really liking the 2d12 system. It's similar enough to d20 so it's easy to pick up (roll 2d12 add modifiers, compare to target number). The only difference is you want to roll target number or less, not more. However, your skill rank is the target number, so plus modifiers make a roll easier and negative ones make it harder (and modifiers only change target number, not dice roll). I especially love that combat rolls are skill based. It also feels much lighter than d20 or True20.

I am glad you like the rules. :)

One of the reasons I came up with the 2d12 System, is that I wanted rules that were lite enough, that I could run things without referring to a rulebook a lot. I like less complicated systems, because for me, I think the rules tend to get in the way sometime. When I was developing the system (and it is one that my own group has been using for years) it was to have something that could be tweaked as the need of the game came up.

I am also happy you like that combat is skilled based. For me, that always seemed to be a logical thing.

jaerdaph said:
Any plans to use the 2d12 system for other games or genres? I know you developed it specifically for this setting, but I could see this system working well more generically in other types of games with a few name changes to things like the blessings and curses, for example.

There are plans to use the 2d12 system for other games. You are also right, that with a few tweaks you could use it for a generic system. What myself and James see, is that the rules, with a little tweaks fit the game. His Fourth Millennium will use 2d12, but with some tweaks so it fits the setting. I have another game in development, that uses 2d12 but tweaks it for what the game deals with.

For us, 2d12 is our system of choice, and unless there is a reason not to use it (as is the case with Thousand Suns which is designed for d20), we will use it for all our games.

I am glad you like the system.

Thank you!

Richard

rogue_richard

Explorer
JamesM said:
Fourth Millennium is similar (rules-wise) to Colonial Gothic in the same way that, say True20 is to standard D20, which is to say, there is a strong family resemblance but each game has its own flavor and unique qualities as befits their subject matter and genre. If you know how to play one, it's easy to learn the other but certain things are handled slightly differently in each.

I could not have said it better myself. :)

Richard

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases