[Rogue Games] Colonial Gothic News

rogue_richard

Explorer
August 21, 2007 (Chicago, Illinois) — Rogue Games releases The New World Almanack!

Hot on the heels of selling out the first print run, and from a successful Gen Con Indy premiere, the Rogues at Rogue Games are pleased to announce the arrival of a virtual sourcebook devoted to Colonial Gothic.

The New World Almanack is a wiki devoted to adding more to the Colonial Gothic experience. This sourcebook will be updated on a regular basis, and all content is free to use.

Walt C

Explorer
rogue_richard said:
August 21, 2007 (Chicago, Illinois) — Rogue Games releases The New World Almanack!

Hot on the heels of selling out the first print run, and from a successful Gen Con Indy premiere.

Glad to hear it was successful. Unfortunately, my GM never showed up to the demo, so I didn't get a chance to try it out at Gen Con.

I'm sure it was due to the "room number shell game" that was going on with all the games, but it was still the most disappointing part of the con for me. I was really looking forward to that demo.

Walt C

rogue_richard

Explorer
Walt C said:
Glad to hear it was successful. Unfortunately, my GM never showed up to the demo, so I didn't get a chance to try it out at Gen Con.

I'm sure it was due to the "room number shell game" that was going on with all the games, but it was still the most disappointing part of the con for me. I was really looking forward to that demo.

Walt C

The demo situation was one of my low lights at GenCon. Next year I plan on running demos in the booth non stop. Though other had the same issues as I had, it still does not make the situation any better.

Richard

00Machado

First Post
My FLGS got this yesterday. Just curious, can you help differentiate your book from Paradigm Concepts' Witch Hunter: The Invisible World?

They look pretty similar, which honestly, just seems weird. How long has there been an opportunity to make a colonial horror game? And now two come out back to back. Odd.

Paradigm

First Post
00Machado said:
My FLGS got this yesterday. Just curious, can you help differentiate your book from Paradigm Concepts' Witch Hunter: The Invisible World?

They look pretty similar, which honestly, just seems weird. How long has there been an opportunity to make a colonial horror game? And now two come out back to back. Odd.

What I immediately recognized, beyond the obvious physical differences in the products, is that the two books go in different directions.

Colonial Gothic is not alternate history, rather it is kind of a secret occult history of the early United States. I have yet to really sit down and read it, I skimmed it on the plane (I can't read on airplanes, they basically just put me to sleep), but the book is attractive and the parts I have read are pretty cool. It is also set in the late 18th Century.

Witch Hunter the Invisible World takes place an entire century earlier and is an alternate history game. The world is much like our own of 1689, but fundamentally changed in notable ways. Witch Hunter features two-fisted swashbuckling action, and grim horror.

Frankly, I'd get both (and did get Colonial Gothic) because, frankly, how many cool early American and colonial games can you buy?

rogue_richard

Explorer
00Machado said:

Colonial Gothic was four years in the making, and was at three different publishers. When James and I formed Rogue Games, Colonial Gothic was the one game that was far enough along release. At the time, no one was dealing with the Colonies.

Colonial Gothic is set during the American Revolution. We took a more historical approach, and this is evident with the use of the occult and supernatural. When designing the game, we made the horror fit the view of the Colonists. This is not a alternate history or fantasy.

Colonial Gothic is cinematic in nature. The 12 Degrees rules allow for a more over the top style. If you have seen the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf, Colonial Gothic is similar to this (without the martial arts). Movies like The Patriot and Last of the Mohican's are possible as well.

Colonial Gothic is about war. There is the war that is currently engulfing the colonies (The American Revolution) and there is a secret war that has been in the shadows sense the dawn of time. As a Hero, you are fighting this secret war.

Both games might be set in the same region, but both games are different in tone and scope.

I hope that helps.

Richard

rogue_richard

Explorer
Paradigm said:
What I immediately recognized, beyond the obvious physical differences in the products, is that the two books go in different directions.

Colonial Gothic is not alternate history, rather it is kind of a secret occult history of the early United States. I have yet to really sit down and read it, I skimmed it on the plane (I can't read on airplanes, they basically just put me to sleep), but the book is attractive and the parts I have read are pretty cool. It is also set in the late 18th Century.

Thanks.

Witch Hunter the Invisible World takes place an entire century earlier and is an alternate history game. The world is much like our own of 1689, but fundamentally changed in notable ways. Witch Hunter features two-fisted swashbuckling action, and grim horror.

You've done a great job capturing this feeling, and I like the games as well. Witch Hunter reminds me of Howard, and that is a good thing.

Frankly, I'd get both (and did get Colonial Gothic) because, frankly, how many cool early American and colonial games can you buy?

I agree. The period is ripe for adventure, and both games do a great job doing what they set out to do.

Richard

Crothian

First Post
I've only just read Colonial Gothic and I really like the concept. Are you going to have any freebie adventures or sample characters on the wiki or else where? I hope to soon run the game for friends and having characters premade for them is always easiest.

rogue_richard

Explorer
Crothian said:
I've only just read Colonial Gothic and I really like the concept. Are you going to have any freebie adventures or sample characters on the wiki or else where? I hope to soon run the game for friends and having characters premade for them is always easiest.

Free adventures are in the work. We actually have two being written now.

On the Wiki, we have Supporting Characters and Villains up now. In the weeks to come, we will have a lot more.

Premade heroes, coming. I am moving this weekend, but they are on my To Do list.

Richard

Remove ads