• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

To me it felt like they just wanted another scene with Vader, and show off his lava castle. But it didn't really further the plot in my opinion.

As a Vader scene, it wasn't good, but it was well motivated by the character's interests, and it also mirrors the activities from the protagonist, who are for a while discussing what to do next, explaining why he is not immediately heading to the same location the protagonists are going to, and can be later to the place then him.

Ryujin

Legend
I've been thinking some more about why I like "Rogue One" and have come to a conclusion. I like it largely for reasons of nostalgia, though not the ones you might expect. Sure, I enjoy stories based in the Star Wars universe, but I've never really been pulled into the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars. This movie reminds me of the World War II movies I remember from my childhood, back in the late '60s and early '70s. The players aren't as much characters, as they're archetypes. The good guys win, but the cost is high. One in particular comes to mind, I think it was "Von Ryan's Express", in which the main character is shot in the back by Nazis while trying to jump onto a moving train where his fellow prisoners have already managed to get aboard.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Someone may have already mentioned this but it occurred to me the other day that there is an obvious sequel (of sorts) to Rogue One. A stand alone film set in between Episodes V and VI describing how the plans for the new Death Star were obtained.

It would be a much bleaker film, from Episode VI we know that, “Many Bothans died to bring us this information.”, and that the Emperor wanted the rebels to obtain them, ""It was I who allowed the alliance to know the location of the shield generator." and "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

I can imagine the film ending on a high (success for the rebels) undercut by a cameo with the Emperor before the credits!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Someone may have already mentioned this but it occurred to me the other day that there is an obvious sequel (of sorts) to Rogue One. A stand alone film set in between Episodes V and VI describing how the plans for the new Death Star were obtained.

It would be a much bleaker film, from Episode VI we know that, “Many Bothans died to bring us this information.”, and that the Emperor wanted the rebels to obtain them, ""It was I who allowed the alliance to know the location of the shield generator." and "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

I can imagine the film ending on a high (success for the rebels) undercut by a cameo with the Emperor before the credits!

Actually, the Bothans died to obtain the Emperor's travel plans, not the new DS schematics.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Dioltach

Legend
Is it officially confirmed anywhere what Bothans are? I know that they're implied to be a race, but what if they're just some form of cuddly animal? Perhaps Mon Mothma keeps one as a pet, but in some parts of the galaxy they're a delicacy and the Imperial officer who gave up the plans demanded a batch of them as a bribe.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Overall I enjoyed it despite having some issues with it.

They should have gone for a look alike with good make up effects, instead of uncanny valley.

I didn't like the CGI Tarkin or Leia. I too would rather have had a look alike or limited CGI Tarkin to shadows and relections.

Honestly, the one of the weirdest things to me, while I was watching it, was the console up at the top of the tower. Who would want to put that there? Then... I calmed down and thought about it for a moment, and realized, "you know what? This is just how things are built in the Star Wars Universe".

Heh. That gave me pause as well. I think it would have worked better if they hacked into it or something up top but your explanation is spot on.

Part of me was amused how the "party" really looked like a Star-wars RPG party - the force user (but not jedi), the heavy soldier, the scout, the rogue, the droid...

Definitely!

Also, her line there is now hilarious - "This is a diplomatic ship!", to which Vader clearly should have replied, "Senator, I just saw your ship detach from a Rebellion frigate in the middle of a warzone."

This part of the movie seemed off to me. I haven't tried to figure out whether or not it fits but it felt to me like they were trying too hard to connect the movies and it would have made more sense if there was off-screen passing of the plans to Leia and Tantive IV.

It sounds morose but I really liked that everyone died. I mean that's what life is, a series of down endings. It would have felt too upbeat and cliched if any of them escaped.

I loved the droid. ("Jyn. I'll be there for you. Cassian said I had to.")

I didn't think I'd like the blind force monk. I thought that archetype would be too much like a kung fu character or Daredevil and wouldn't fit into the Star Wars universe well but I really enjoyed him. I also liked his camaraderie with the guy with the big gun. That definitely hearkened to an RPG duo to me.

It didn't best the original trilogy for me but I liked it better than The Force Awakens (primarily because I thought TFA's plot was weak).

One of my favorite parts about Rogue One is that it's inspired my gaming group, who has become defunct due to new babies, people moving away from the area, and other familial responsibilities, to attempt an online FFG Star Wars Rebels-inspired game! Utinni!

MarkB

Legend
Is it officially confirmed anywhere what Bothans are?

In old-EU continuity, yes. They're major political players, and I believe were a playable race in Star Wars Saga Edition. Somewhat catfolk-like in appearance as I recall.

In new-EU continuity, I'm not so sure.

Jhaelen

First Post
In old-EU continuity, yes. They're major political players, and I believe were a playable race in Star Wars Saga Edition. Somewhat catfolk-like in appearance as I recall.
I could have sworn I'd already seen a Bothan in one of the movies, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Bothans are a staple race in FFG's Star Wars RPG, already appearing in the very first source book, the 'Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook' as one of (only) eight playable races (the others being humans, droids, wookies, rodians, twi'lek, trandoshan, and gand). There's plenty of artwork featuring them, too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But didn't that include there whereabouts of the new Death Star as well as how close to completion it was? I can't remember exactly but I would imagine the two were pretty interinked!

No. They knew where it was. It the fact that the Emperor would be personally overseeing the completion that the Bothans discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads