Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
From an extremely geeky (as in, this isn't how movies should be made) point of view, I was super pleased by how the cast was like a star wars saga party. "This is the rogue, that's the scout, that's the force user, that's the heavy soldier, that's the droid" etc etc :D

The thread is marked spoilers. No tags needed. They don't work on mobile devices, anyway.

Thanks!

I agree that most of us knew going in that most likely none would survive however its fails compared to movies such as the Great Escape or predator where you feel the Camaraderie. I'm a big a star wars fan as the next and to be honest I was more shocked in what happened to the orc in Warcraft over anything in Rogue One.

Since its a spoiler section why are the people working for Saw Gerrera doing what they are doing. why did the pilot defect. How does Ponda baba (spelling) escape? Theres a lot of nothing built up into a great action scene which basically was reshot by Disney in the end. In the end/trailers we see all of them running on the beach. It never happens

Its really disheartening to hear that people cant wait for books to explain it. That proves the director and backstory are thin at best. First star wars movie that has done that

Several things other than plot that have not been talked about

1) Shadow stormtroopers. Was very excited for these. Came away like I did in force awakens with the captain phasma. really disappointing as I expected them to be bad mofo's and they were nothing special.

2) The imperial walkers. Cant understand why they were so weak

3) who actually escaped from the final battle. did the big ships escape or did everyone die except the princess? arent a few of the pilots seen again in new hope?

4) Jin brags about the big weakness and tarkin brings in vader to make sure none survive and yet there isn't any mention of a weakness on the imperial side? I might have to go back and watch New hope but im almost 100% positive that Tarkin is dismissive of the whole idea and yet we are talking only several weeks when it gets blown up? This is a giant WTF moment. I know that 1977 and 2016 are differences but clearly Tarkins knowledge in Rogue one should have been written out.

I want people to know that I'm not a star wars hater or one of those people who normally don't think their ever wrong but I was not on the edge of my seat until the vader ship scene.

My hat is to the director that comes in and from rumors ive heard adds the big space battle

im taking this way too seriously but

At the beginning of A New Hope, Vader tells Leia "Several transmissions were beamed aboard THIS ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to those plans."

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
1) Shadow stormtroopers. Was very excited for these. Came away like I did in force awakens with the captain phasma. really disappointing as I expected them to be bad mofo's and they were nothing special.

2) The imperial walkers. Cant understand why they were so weak

Those storm troopers seemed to last quite long and cut through a good chunk of the rebel troops compared to the other troopers. I think they were sufficiently fine. Be glad we didn't have to see a Jedi or something cut through them like butter, I say.

As far as the walkers, from what I remember from Rogue Squadron games, X-wings had higher powered blasters and torpedoes that could breach that armor, while say the snow speeders on Hoth were not similarly equipped. While this could all be hand waving for the game and movie being different in what it wants to present, I am not certain what the cannon truly is on this. (At work so looking that up would send me down a spiraling hole of Star Wars lore).

MarkB

Legend
They were Krennic's personal bodyguard, and when he does let them off the leash in the final battle they inflict far more damage than the regular stormtroopers, taking out many rebels and keeping the rest pinned down, requiring Chirrut Îmwe to do his "I am one with the Force" self-sacrifice to reach the transmission lever.

3) who actually escaped from the final battle. did the big ships escape or did everyone die except the princess? arent a few of the pilots seen again in new hope?

It looked like about half the Rebel capital ships escaped before Vader's Star Destroyer jumped in and cut off their retreat. The only ones we know survive into A New Hope are the starfighter wing leaders.

4) Jin brags about the big weakness and tarkin brings in vader to make sure none survive and yet there isn't any mention of a weakness on the imperial side? I might have to go back and watch New hope but im almost 100% positive that Tarkin is dismissive of the whole idea and yet we are talking only several weeks when it gets blown up? This is a giant WTF moment. I know that 1977 and 2016 are differences but clearly Tarkins knowledge in Rogue one should have been written out.

Jyn brags about the weakness to Krennic, not Tarkin, and does so moments before Krennic's death. Tarkin knows that the Rebels have attempted to steal the Death Star plans, which could certainly prove problematic in the long run, but he knows nothing of Jyn's father having deliberately built a weakness into the station. Even the rebels don't know that for sure - all they know is that Jyn claimed to have seen a message from her father telling her about it.

Remove ads