D&D 5E Rogue vs College of Whispers Bard

5ekyu

Hero
"Why would you want to be a rogue instead of a college of whispers bard in level 5-10 range?"

It's not a competition that makes one better than the other. Thry bring different types of play to the table. So, I would be likely to play either - tho to be fair whispers is one of my least favorite bards except for the shadow snatcher bit.

Imo if you want DPR combat melee bard, you gotta go MC to get two pally. That way you can smite with those bard levels of spells too. No oaths to complicate things. I think I nicknamed them Shadow Singers in my campaign. Stat spread is an issue tho, but within bounds.

But that aside, I am drawn to rogues by Cunning action (its movement benefits are many), evasion and its various sub-class features from thief, scout, mastermind. Just depends on who I want "this guy* to be.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Rogue 5-10 abilities that are more worth burning bardic inspiration die to deal extra psychic damage: Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, +1 ASI @ 10th than a Bard gets, Rogue's +5d6 damage is all day long, style as noted by others already.

They are very different, and while you can get some of the rogue flavor from Criminal Background, College of Whispers bard is such a different style and headspace than any of the Rogue archetypes. There really isn't one that comes close to the College of Whisper's flavor in the Rogue chassis. Only the Assassin with their Imposter ability even get close to anything the Whisper Bard is doing.

RP-wise, I can very easily see the College of Whisper Bard being either a part of or its own type of Assassin's guild in a world that works with/rules over more "common assassins" or something like that.

Last edited:

Again generic reasons (many not even in the level range specificed). You are answering all the reasons someone might give for wanting to be one or the other. That's not what I asked. I asked what reasons you would want to be one over the other. Giving me a list of all the differences in the classes isn't answering the question. It's a personal question for you.
"You" in the context of the question appears generic, rather than personal - other wise why are you asking?

Personally I wouldn't choose to play either - there is nothing wrong with either of them, but I prefer classes with a more direct approach.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases