rogue/wizard?

fl8m

First Post
thanks all, i can't beleive i forgot arcane trickster but daggerspell mage, magelord, and shadowbane stalker give me a nice array of options.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
As others have said, arcane trickster. But I'd just like to point out IMO rogue/wizard isn't too weak of a combo by it's self.

Wizard/rogue or, for that matter, Wizard/fighter can indeed work out well. You just have to realize that you won't get far with fireball and other attack spells: Damage output is low, as is the chance to overcome spell resistance. Ray and touch spells are a better choice, as they allow you to use your sneak attack, but the best bet is to use magic to improve your abilities: Invisibility, animal buffs, haste, fly, stuff like that.

Asmo

First Post
pbd said:
This was already answered, so I'll just try and clarify a little.

In order to have 7 ranks in a class skill (3 + level), you have to be 4th level. But any skill that was At ONE TIME a class skill has level + 3 max ranks (7 at 4th level). So if you have any levels of rogue prior to 4th, you can put up to 7 ranks total into those skills.

However, when you level up in wizard, where they are cross class, you still oly get 0.5 ranks per point.

Hope this helps.

pbd

Nope, I still don´t understand how I can get 7 ranks as a 3 lvl rogue without buying 0.5 ranks per point as a wizard.
Or are you saying that I need to cross-class as a wizard and buy the missing ranks for 0.5 ranks per point :confused: ?

This sentence confuses me greatly:

"But any skill that was At ONE TIME a class skill has level + 3 max ranks (7 at 4th level). So if you have any levels of rogue prior to 4th, you can put up to 7 ranks total into those skills."

where can I find this information in the PHB?
I´ve been reading about cross-classing (page 59) but I still don´t get it.
I don´t know if I making much sense here, but I just want to know.

Asmo

seans23

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Wizard/rogue or, for that matter, Wizard/fighter can indeed work out well. You just have to realize that you won't get far with fireball and other attack spells: Damage output is low, as is the chance to overcome spell resistance. Ray and touch spells are a better choice, as they allow you to use your sneak attack, but the best bet is to use magic to improve your abilities: Invisibility, animal buffs, haste, fly, stuff like that.

the Practiced spellcaster feat will help ease the pain a little bit.

Felix

Explorer
Asmo said:
Nope, I still don´t understand how I can get 7 ranks as a 3 lvl rogue without buying 0.5 ranks per point as a wizard.
You take 5 levels of wizard.

Your 6th level is Rogue. Your class skill max rank is 9. You have 8+Int points to spend. You spend 7 ranks in UMD. So you can get 7 ranks as a class skill with only one level of Rogue, let alone 3.

Remember: max ranks are tied to character level, not class level.

GlassJaw

Hero
You need at least 7 ranks in Decipher Script, Disable Device and Escape Artist, and that means that you have to be a 4 lvl rogue, minimum, right?

This is how it worked in 3.0. There aren't any more exclusive skills in 3.5 (IIRC, Decipher Script, Use Magic Device, and something else were exclusive in 3.0).

Asmo

First Post
GlassJaw said:
This is how it worked in 3.0. There aren't any more exclusive skills in 3.5 (IIRC, Decipher Script, Use Magic Device, and something else were exclusive in 3.0).

I guess I´m still stuck in 3.0, this explains alot :)
Thanx everbody for helping me out!

Asmo

CM

Adventurer
My current character has just taken his first level of arcane trickster. I did things a little differently than what has been suggested already:

1st: Rogue 1
2nd: Wizard 1
3rd: Human Paragon 1
4th: Rogue 2
5th: Wizard 2
6th: Human Paragon 2
7th: Rogue 3
8th: Human Paragon 3
9th: Wizard 3
10th: Arcane Trickster 1

Human Paragon is in Unearthed Arcana, and is a pretty nice class for any multiclassed spellcaster. It has good, flexible skills, a bonus feat, a +2 stat bonus, and 2/3 spell progression. Just don't ask me to make a Fortitude save. I also miss out on Uncanny Dodge. :uhoh:

I was allowed to save a feat from first level for Practiced Spellcaster at 2nd. With the four non-casting levels, My caster level improves to the full 10th (with slots as 6th). Spell repertoire includes scorching ray, lesser acid orb, shocking grasp, and a lot of 1st- and 2nd-level swift spells from complete adventure and complete arcane (plus a few utility spells).

Let me also add that you really haven't lived as a rogue/wizard until you've spent 3 rounds in a row trying to use acid splash to coup de gras an advanced ogre mage when the rest of the party is unconscious and all your other spells are gone. SR can be a real p-i-t-a. :D

Christian

Explorer
CM said:
Let me also add that you really haven't lived as a rogue/wizard until you've spent 3 rounds in a row trying to use acid splash to coup de gras an advanced ogre mage when the rest of the party is unconscious and all your other spells are gone. SR can be a real p-i-t-a. :D

I hope the problem was actually the the ogre mage kept making his Fortitude save. 'Cause SR doesn't apply to acid splash ...

Steve Jung

Explorer
Asmo said:
This sentence confuses me greatly:

"But any skill that was At ONE TIME a class skill has level + 3 max ranks (7 at 4th level). So if you have any levels of rogue prior to 4th, you can put up to 7 ranks total into those skills."

where can I find this information in the PHB?
I´ve been reading about cross-classing (page 59) but I still don´t get it.
I don´t know if I making much sense here, but I just want to know.
Here it is.
PHB 3.5 said:
Skills at Higher Levels
Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level +3.

Remove ads