• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogues and rolling all the dice

Not that I don't want the Rogue to roll all the dice on the table for a sneak attack, but I want to make sure he's not rolling all the dice on the table.

So at level 3 Assassin with sneak attack:

2 D20 for advantage (unless he has a party member within five feet, and if the target hasn't moved this turn he gets the advantage)
1 D6 for short sword
1 D6 for crit damage
2 D6 for sneak attack bonus (at level 3)

Are there any other dice he can roll, or is he already rolling too many dice?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Not that I don't want the Rogue to roll all the dice on the table for a sneak attack, but I want to make sure he's not rolling all the dice on the table.

So at level 3 Assassin with sneak attack:

2 D20 for advantage (unless he has a party member within five feet, and if the target hasn't moved this turn he gets the advantage)
1 D6 for short sword
1 D6 for crit damage
2 D6 for sneak attack bonus (at level 3)

Are there any other dice he can roll, or is he already rolling too many dice?
Not rolling enough dice, a short sword sneak attack crit should be doing 6d6+Dex modifier damage.

mellored

Legend
I added in the breakdown for the crit die roll.

Or are you saying he now has 6 D6 rolls for weapons.

Also, he only get to add dex and proficiency bonus for the 1 weapon damage roll right?
Critical hits double all the dice. Including weapon dice and sneak attack dice.

Dex and anything else is added to damage only once. Even if you crit.

Proficiency is NOT added to damage.

Elf so no more dice please.

In game for a critical hit we ended up choosing to roll double dice. We might move to doubling the damage instead to keep the math down!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads