Rokugan d20 FAQ or Errata?

Obryn

Hero
I've been looking around for a FAQ or errata list for the d20 Rokugan setting. It's obvious that the book was intendedto mesh with Oriental Adventures pretty well, but there's an awful lot of rough edges. The taint systems are extremely incompatible, for example. And many of the prestige classes are pretty tough to reconcile. I'm wondering if anyone out there has either knowledge of a FAQ or has decent house rules.

Thanks!

Westwind

First Post
The second printing errata can be found here

Significant changes include Depth of the Void granting 3 void points, not 2, Ninja Will and Reflex saves are swapped, and the Dragon Swordmaster's daisho bonus is a shield bonus, not an armor bonus. There are others, but those are the ones I use most often.

Alderac also has a listserve you can subscribe to here. Shawn and Rich are decent about getting back to people with specific questions, although most of the chat revolves around d10 stuff.

Do you have any specific questions? I am by no means an official source, but I've put a decent amount of time into trimming from both books to make what I think is a cohesive Rokugan (Singh Ranger v. Lion's Pride type of questions).

Edit: Fixed links--serves me right for posting without coffee

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Westwind said:
The second printing errata can be found http://l5r.alderac.com/rpg/rules_rokugan_errata.html=here.

Significant changes include Depth of the Void granting 3 void points, not 2, Ninja Will and Reflex saves are swapped, and the Dragon Swordmaster's daisho bonus is a shield bonus, not an armor bonus. There are others, but those are the ones I use most often.

Alderac also has a listserve you can subscribe to http://www.alderac.com/mailing_lists.html Shawn and Rich are decent about getting back to people with specific questions, although most of the chat revolves around d10 stuff.

Do you have any specific questions? I am by no means an official source, but I've put a decent amount of time into trimming from both books to make what I think is a cohesive Rokugan (Singh Ranger v. Lion's Pride type of questions).

Just wanted to give you a headsup that clicking the above link tries to take you to a site called 'Here'

Try Errata
and Mailing List instead. (I don't know how to do links properly either, doing this right took 5 tries...:p Gotta love Preview Reply :D )

The Auld Grump

Obryn

Hero
Thanks folks! I do have the 2nd Printing, so that errata doesn't quite cover all the bases.

Westwind - I'm most wondering how you're managing to work out the different taint systems in each... Taint is a pretty integral part of the setting, but the rules are totally different in the 2 books. OA uses a 10-point scale, Rokugan a 90-point scale... And different rules in each book (e.g. maho-bujin) assume you're using the rules contained inside.

-O

Westwind

First Post
Taint and Honor were both converted from the d10 system to the d20 in an inellegent fashion. In the d10 system there are taint points and taint rank. Every 10 taint points ups you a taint rank. So, if my poor Matsu Bushi had a taint of 3.6, she would have 3 ranks of taint and 6 points on top of that. 4 more points would get her to rank 4.

I suspect that this is why OA has a 10-point scale (based on rank) and Rokugan has a 90-point scale (based on point). Without fractions, characters using the OA version are going to be in trouble pretty fast, so I use the version presented in Rokugan (Actually, I use it /10 just like in the d10 system, so it's a 4.5, not 45. It's easy enough to convert).

Honor works much the same way in the d10 system and I adjusted the d20 to reflect this. Most starting Crane characters, for example, have an Honor of 3.5 (eqv). Honor losses and gains are by 0.1 increments, barring something truly epic. The 2nd edition Player's Guide for the d10 system has a clan-by-clan chart for honor losses and gains, since it stands to reason a Mantis and a Crane will have different standards.

Last edited:

Remove ads