D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
"The first hundred feet are easy. The overhang will be very hard and you will be 100' up. What do you do?" What is different about the cliffs in 1 and those in 3? Nothing. Per your specification these are the same cliffs. You said:

It was hard. I found a way.

Barring time, there is no cost for the easy section. But in 1, time cannot be barred.

This is a fair point. I have helped myself to an assumption that any reasonable DM of 5e* in case 3 will have worked with player to invoke that rule. Given time is not at issue, and there is no other cost for the easy section, I see that as the inevitably correct ruling

Correct other than that this isn't a problem, glaring or otherwise.

First failure is on easy slope, in 1.

I correctly apply the rules. That's all there is to it. [Well, more than that in all honesty. I came up with a way to structure the cliffs to make it all work out. I had an advantage as it was a structure I'd used before to good effect, in live 5e play.]

@Ovinomancer our last multiple exchanges have not helped advance understanding one iota. You seem determined that my adjudication and narration must be wrong somehow. I am determined in defending that they were right. I do not believe we will satisfactorily resolve that.

To be clear, on RAW and on narrating meaningful consequences - ones that matter - I am confident of my adjudication and it seems impossible to imagine anything you will say - based on what you have said - that will change that.

Equally, I will do you the cordiality of assuming you are confident I am in the wrong, and nothing I say - based on what I have said - will change that.

If ever there was a time to agree to disagree, now is it. I know it can be odious to put in the last word and end the conversation. So I will say here that I won't be replying further on this line of discussion.

[POSTSCRIPT I realise I did learn something to carry forward. When we're not privy to the prior conversation, and don't know the thought processes of a DM, we can't tell if 5e* is being played. That is something you said up-thread about video of DW. At the time I thought you mistaken, but you were right. From my perspective, that is what has played out before me here. Any written "proof" of playing 5e* must meet a high bar: prior conversation, the shared fiction in play, any DM thought processes must all be richly articulated. One will need to speak for imagined players, as well as DM.]
The fundamental problem I see with your claims is that you 1) say that "no progress" alone is insufficient to call for an ability check and 2) you 100% embrace no progress alone as acceptable in your stated adjudications!

We get to 2) in case 3, where you have a 100' climb and state that the only cost for failing a check to climb a 100' cliff is loss of time. This means that the only consequence on the table for you is making no progress from the foot of the cliff, and spending 10 seconds each time you try to start and fail. You do not countenance any other consequence besides this -- there's no chance to fall from 10', 20', 90'. There's no risk to equipment. There's no risk of attracting attention. In your evaluation of this cliff, the only risk to the first 100' of climb is the time it takes. And yet, you contemplate that you can fail to climb this portion of cliff -- because you've shown that it can be failed in case 1!

This is incoherent. You cannot claim that no progress alone is insufficient to call for a check and then use that as the basis for determining that a climb can both be failed and that the result is no progress so that you can invoke the multiple checks section. Emphasis on multiple. That section, and the rule you quote, only applies for retried actions.

The entire basis for your claims and approach to adjudication is that "meaningful consequences" must obtain if any check is to be called for. You've further stated that "no progress" is insufficient alone -- that not making progress must be combined with something else meaningful to require a check. And, yet, here we are with no progress, and using that no progress to invoke the multiple ability checks rule for allowing a character to declare taking time sufficient so that there's no need to roll until success happens -- a table time saving construct, not a narrative one or one that determines consequence. You invoke this rule only AFTER determining a check is needed but that the consequence is just time to retry and that there's sufficient time to make that moot. It's still an ability check, though!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The fundamental problem I see with your claims is that you 1) say that "no progress" alone is insufficient to call for an ability check and 2) you 100% embrace no progress alone as acceptable in your stated adjudications!

We get to 2) in case 3, where you have a 100' climb and state that the only cost for failing a check to climb a 100' cliff is loss of time. This means that the only consequence on the table for you is making no progress from the foot of the cliff, and spending 10 seconds each time you try to start and fail. You do not countenance any other consequence besides this -- there's no chance to fall from 10', 20', 90'. There's no risk to equipment. There's no risk of attracting attention. In your evaluation of this cliff, the only risk to the first 100' of climb is the time it takes. And yet, you contemplate that you can fail to climb this portion of cliff -- because you've shown that it can be failed in case 1!
Yeah, this bugs me as well; not because "no progress" is a possible result of failure*, but because "no progress" seems to be the only possible result of failure. Being back where you started at the foot of the cliff but down [1-10]d6 hit points isn't "no progress" in my book, it's negative progress i.e. a meaningful consequence of failure. The required granularity really needs a second roll by player or DM (doesn't matter which) to determine at what point during the climb failure occurred.

Keep at it long enough and you'll be dead at the foot of said cliff.

Further, if failure can lead to falling from some perhaps-random height up the cliff then allowing auto-success [at 10x the time spent] fails to account for how many tries and failures (and falls, and damage!) went into that eventual success. In broader terms, granularity of resolution is skipped over and skipping that granularity is (IMO too) greatly to the players'/PCs' benefit.

* - obviously, "no progress" can and should be a possible result - i.e. for whatever reason you never really got off the ground in your climb - but not the only possible result.

Say yes or roll the dice - where's the 'no' option in there?
I assumed it was fairly obvious. It would be a case where an action is clearly no possible within the logic of the genre and the fiction in play. So, a lower level PC trying to accomplish some epic challenge, which I think is one @pemerton has discussed in a couple threads. In D&D, generally, I think a situation which is 'nonsensical' or something like that certainly qualifies. Either the GM or the table generally will presumably police this kind of thing. Honestly the only place where I've seen it come up in standard play is something like a player who isn't all that familiar with the genre and wants to do something that is just not normally allowed.
If the player is left to decide then the robe will be free. Every time.
I disagree. Nor do I think it is likely to be all that important in a lot of cases. High level D&D characters, for example, generally have wealth far beyond their ordinary needs. If it really IS important, then it wouldn't be something that would be handled without a check of some kind, most likely. Honestly, shopping for clothing doesn't seem to be a very important concern in a D&D game, generally. As I said, there are many options to decide this kind of thing.
Unless, of course, one has players who are actively willing to work against their own interests, which is (literally!) self-defeating.
Again, you construe D&D to be an adversarial, or oppositional sort of game, and I don't. The players in my games are fellow participants in an interesting activity. They don't have 'interests', though the CHARACTER may, and if something is really important to the character, then we'd probably need to roll.
It's the DM's job to use the setting as a proxy in order to challenge the PCs, and thus the players. It's the players' job, via their PCs, to overcome these challenges among or around whatever else they might be doing in the setting.
We just see this differently. I agree that challenging the characters, and by extension possibly the players, is an element of D&D. It is not something that has to be happening at every turn though.
Because neither the PCs nor the players know in this case how low the stakes have become; that there's nobody home and they're going to succeed unless they Keystone Kops it. If the PCs somehow learn this in the fiction through their actions and-or deductions, all well and good, but I'm not just going to tell them up front and nor should I.
Why? Again, if the stakes are this low, then it seems irrelevant. Its like dicing for walking or eating, we just don't need to do these things.
No matter how high the stakes I'll stick with free role-play for social interactions. For physical things that require abstraction, then I largely agree with you here.
hehe, well, I think we agree on more than we think. OTOH I like setting up Challenges that are social, or at least partly so. I think there is some genuine diversity of ways to do it there though.
Whenever the DM (by proxy as noted above) challenges the players and the players try to overcome that challenge, the players and DM are in oppositon to each other as represented by the PCs being in opposition to whatever setting element is posing the challenge.
I don't disagree with this, really. I just think it is not something that permeates the game, or is the primary fundamental animating element of the game. The GM can 'represent the opposition', but also be the player's ally.
And on a broader scale I posit that in general the DM and the players do in fact have different sets of interests, or at least priorities. The DM has to look out for the game/campaign as a whole and prioritize that, while any player only really has to look out for the well-being of their PC(s) and can freely prioritize that.
I don't see how a campaign has an interest, myself. The game is played, there may be different priorities at times, yes. In the end though its all about what the players are doing in the game. This is easy to test, a campaign cannot exist without players!
My stance is that just because a roll is meaningless isn't reason enough not to do it.

I have my players roll "null" rolls fairly often, largely so that when I call for rolls that matter it's not a metagame trigger that something's afoot.

Because player knowledge and character knowledge are or should be the same. If I-as-player know that you-as-DM are going to say yes every time then it's safe to assume my character is also going to know that in the setting. And if you don't want my character to know that then don't give me that info as a player; make me roll and keep that doubt lingering.
This, IMHO, is a holdover of Gygaxian puzzle/challenge style play. Once we start playing a game where 'story' is a significant element, I think it just gets in the way. Players are part of the 'team', there's specific times when it can be fun to keep them in the dark, but as a general rule story game play is not very concerned with 'hidden fiction'.
That's a hard no from me. In this example, if it becomes apparent at some point that the PCs are going to need that 'key' then we're going to play out their getting of said key in time-order as it happens in the fiction (i.e. if they go get the key before starting the job we play the key bit out first; if they only realize halfway through the job that they need they key we play out their abandoning the job and going after the key instead). Detail matters. Sequentiality is vital.
Why? what is so significant about imaginary linear time? I mean, sure, its simpler and maybe cleaner, and might avoid a retcon or something potentially, to do things in order, but its not NECESSARY. BitD has certainly shown a way to do things in a non-linear order that works fine. Anyway, I'm only saying I don't do some boring trivial non-adventure just to explain every single little bit of the fiction, its not interesting.
And the risk with playing out scenes as flashbacks is that the players can (and IME will, guaranteed!) meta the hell out of it; if the currently-being-played action is happening tonight and the flashback scene was yesterday morning the players can go absolutely gonzo-nuts crazy with their PCs' actions in that flashback as they already know they're all going to be alive free and functional tonight! And that, let me tell you, can and does get degenerate in a real hurry.

How to prevent this? No flashbacks.
Again, you keep invoking these statements that cast the players in the role of playground miscreants or something. It is odd to me. Admittedly, maybe if I was running a game for children I'd be a little circumspect, but in fact my feeling is kids are pretty cool with this kind of thing, they are usually perfectly capable of understanding 'game logic'. The people I typically play with are certainly old enough not to need to be policed like this at all. Honestly, a player who insisted on these sorts of hijinks would probably get booted by the rest of the players at my table! lol.

Frankly, I think the fundamental issue with the @Ovinomancer vs @clearstream debate is simply the basic Story Game vs Puzzle Game debate. Like, one side thinks 'stakes' means 'you could fall and hurt yourself', and the other side thinks stakes are something meaningful in a story sense. I think this is fundamentally closely aligned to the discussion I've been having with @Lanefan, we just plainly have differing agendas! That goes even a bit deeper to differing ideas of how participants relate to the game itself. This has really significant effects on the structure of the game.

Now, @clearstream said something about we couldn't tell if we were playing his interpretation of 5e without going back to the story and and understanding all the aspects of it. OTOH I'm not totally sure of that. I think its more like I understand the issue as I stated above. There is IN MY WAY OF PLAYING, nothing to be said about a "I just want to climb the cliff" situation, certainly not in D&D which is about much wider concerns, generally (an RPG about mountaineering would be a different story perhaps).

So, like, would I have rolls for climbing a cliff when doing so is empty of story significance? No, because I would not arrange affairs in a dramatically focused RPG such that this would ever be the case! If it came up by some sort of happenstance, then the PC gets to the top! I mean, "you were just traveling and you randomly fell to your death" doesn't strike me as useful story! lol. I have a choice of doing that or not doing that and going on to something more dramatic, I'm going on, pure and simple. If the PCs want to endlessly climb cliffs for no discernible reason, I'd call that degenerate play! @Lanefan OTOH wouldn't (he might get sick of those players perhaps, lol).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Frankly, I think the fundamental issue with the @Ovinomancer vs @clearstream debate is simply the basic Story Game vs Puzzle Game debate. Like, one side thinks 'stakes' means 'you could fall and hurt yourself', and the other side thinks stakes are something meaningful in a story sense. I think this is fundamentally closely aligned to the discussion I've been having with @Lanefan, we just plainly have differing agendas! That goes even a bit deeper to differing ideas of how participants relate to the game itself. This has really significant effects on the structure of the game.

Now, @clearstream said something about we couldn't tell if we were playing his interpretation of 5e without going back to the story and and understanding all the aspects of it. OTOH I'm not totally sure of that. I think its more like I understand the issue as I stated above. There is IN MY WAY OF PLAYING, nothing to be said about a "I just want to climb the cliff" situation, certainly not in D&D which is about much wider concerns, generally (an RPG about mountaineering would be a different story perhaps).

So, like, would I have rolls for climbing a cliff when doing so is empty of story significance? No, because I would not arrange affairs in a dramatically focused RPG such that this would ever be the case! If it came up by some sort of happenstance, then the PC gets to the top! I mean, "you were just traveling and you randomly fell to your death" doesn't strike me as useful story! lol. I have a choice of doing that or not doing that and going on to something more dramatic, I'm going on, pure and simple. If the PCs want to endlessly climb cliffs for no discernible reason, I'd call that degenerate play! @Lanefan OTOH wouldn't (he might get sick of those players perhaps, lol).
I disagree with your opening assertion. It's pretty clear @clearstream is not approaching this from a storygame perspective, and I know I'm not, so I don't think this can be the case.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I assumed it was fairly obvious. It would be a case where an action is clearly no possible within the logic of the genre and the fiction in play. So, a lower level PC trying to accomplish some epic challenge, which I think is one @pemerton has discussed in a couple threads. In D&D, generally, I think a situation which is 'nonsensical' or something like that certainly qualifies. Either the GM or the table generally will presumably police this kind of thing. Honestly the only place where I've seen it come up in standard play is something like a player who isn't all that familiar with the genre and wants to do something that is just not normally allowed.
Something that clearly violates the physics of the setting e.g. "I jump to the moon", sure. I get that.

But it's also within a DM's purview (or should be!) to just say no to an attempt to climb a wall that's simply beyond the ability of the character, even if the character thinks she can do it. (though if it came down to it I'd have the player roll anyway, and hope she rolled a 20 so I could get the point across that nope, you ain't climbing this one)
I disagree. Nor do I think it is likely to be all that important in a lot of cases. High level D&D characters, for example, generally have wealth far beyond their ordinary needs. If it really IS important, then it wouldn't be something that would be handled without a check of some kind, most likely. Honestly, shopping for clothing doesn't seem to be a very important concern in a D&D game, generally. As I said, there are many options to decide this kind of thing.
Correct, it's not important most of the time; but as you're the one who brought the example up you're stuck with it now. :)

The bigger play here wouldn't be the specifics of getting the robe for free, it'd be the general idea of putting one over on the game.
Again, you construe D&D to be an adversarial, or oppositional sort of game, and I don't. The players in my games are fellow participants in an interesting activity. They don't have 'interests', though the CHARACTER may, and if something is really important to the character, then we'd probably need to roll.
Their characters ARE their interests. As players, they have one job. One. Count 'em. And that one job is this: advocate for your character.

And like it or not, advocating for one's character includes trying to squeeze out whatever advantages, be they in-game or mechanical, one can for it (and a player not doing this is abrogating the responsibility of advocating for the character to the fullest means possible); and it's the DM's job in turn to keep this in check.
I don't disagree with this, really. I just think it is not something that permeates the game, or is the primary fundamental animating element of the game. The GM can 'represent the opposition', but also be the player's ally.
Thing is, "being the players' ally" is the sort of thinking that very quickly leads to fudged rolls and other non-neutral refereeing.
I don't see how a campaign has an interest, myself. The game is played, there may be different priorities at times, yes. In the end though its all about what the players are doing in the game. This is easy to test, a campaign cannot exist without players!
And that right there is part of the campaign's interest: self-sustainability. The DM has to run with an eye to keeping the game going, one week to the next and one year to the next; while the players can happily ignore any such considerations if they want to.
This, IMHO, is a holdover of Gygaxian puzzle/challenge style play. Once we start playing a game where 'story' is a significant element, I think it just gets in the way. Players are part of the 'team', there's specific times when it can be fun to keep them in the dark, but as a general rule story game play is not very concerned with 'hidden fiction'.
Which is, in a broad sense, one place where I run aground on the story-game concept: it's hard to have a mystery, or secrets in/about the setting, if there's little or no hidden fiction; and a large part of play often revolves around discovering secrets and-or solving mysteries.
Why? what is so significant about imaginary linear time?
Everything.

Time, and the careful management thereof by the DM, is perhaps the single most important element in making a game world believable and inhabitable.
I mean, sure, its simpler and maybe cleaner, and might avoid a retcon or something potentially, to do things in order, but its not NECESSARY. BitD has certainly shown a way to do things in a non-linear order that works fine. Anyway, I'm only saying I don't do some boring trivial non-adventure just to explain every single little bit of the fiction, its not interesting.
Well, in my mind a DM who has to retcon to that extent just shouldn't be a DM. Retcons are bad bad bad bad bad.

Why?

Because a retcon invalidates whatever aspects of previous play that are being retconned and-or overwritten, meaning that going through said play in the first place was a complete waste of time for everyone involved.

Put another way, the existence of retcons means that even once fiction has been established, well, it still hasn't really been established because it can always be retconned later. Bleah.
Again, you keep invoking these statements that cast the players in the role of playground miscreants or something. It is odd to me. Admittedly, maybe if I was running a game for children I'd be a little circumspect, but in fact my feeling is kids are pretty cool with this kind of thing, they are usually perfectly capable of understanding 'game logic'. The people I typically play with are certainly old enough not to need to be policed like this at all. Honestly, a player who insisted on these sorts of hijinks would probably get booted by the rest of the players at my table! lol.
Sigh...

It's nothing to do with children and everything to do with advocating for the character to the fullest of your ability and squeezing whatever advantages you can, which includes pushing the rules envelope until it pushes back.

HammerMan

Legend
5e itself tells the DM not to call for rolls unless there is a meaningful consequence for failure. Uncertainty is not the only criteria. I mean, if it literally doesn't matter if they succeed or not, why not let them succeed and move on to something that has meaning?
where that is an answer maybe even the most common answer, I can't believe there has never in the last 10ish years been a time in your game where you couldn't make a quick call on success/fail even with low or no stakes...
See, I wouldn't want to play in a game like that. Not because I have to play for money. I don't. But I at least want there to be some consequence for good and bad play.
and I don't want real life consequences when I just want to play a game
If I run out of chips, I want to be out of the game. If I win, I want to get the chips and see them accumulate so I can lord it over everyone! Muauahahahahaha! Okay, maybe not that last part, but I want winning to mean something, even if no money is involved.
I (try) to avoid any group activity that can (and in cases like this will) kick some of the group out.
I would have let you attempt to sneak by and the guards would have had a chance to see you. Probably opposed rolls due to uncertainty. Since being sneaky like that is a strong indicator that you were up to no good, had you been spotted and the following RP didn't get you out of it, you might have ended up arrested until things could be sorted out. That's enough of a meaningful consequence for me.
I can't beleive you would make up a consequence like being arrested when nothing was going on...

HammerMan

Legend
IMHO TBH I think 5e is extremely classic here, it expects the GM to call for roles based on the actual physical consequences of hazardous or uncertain moves, and not having any relation to any larger fiction. The 'only interesting failure' rule is then relegated to being merely an admonition not to bother to roll dice when the outcome doesn't change the fiction in any way. The GM is simply EXPECTED to supply danger! That is, putting a locked door in the PC's way and then not defining a consequence for taking an hour to pick the lock is either A) a case where no roll should be asked for, or B) a failure to GM well. Again, in my own game the player would simply describe picking the lock in an amount of time which seems plausible and inconsequential, or else the picking will be a consequential part of a challenge, pure and simple.

see this seems weird to me... in the last campaign becky ran we had beaten the 3 groups of orcs in a dungeon (we did not know that those 7ish orcs were all that where in there) we ran into 3 locked doors that had things behind them...but no monsters no traps (2 had treasure 1 had the prisnor we were there to rescue) and we rolled for each. I can't imagine her just saying "oh the monsters are all dead so no roll needed"
I'd note that 4e is more of a 'mixed bag' in that it allows for 'free checks' which work a lot like 5e, and have all the same issues. Obviously when in this mode of play it is on the GM to make things matter.
why do people keep bringing up 4e?

HammerMan

Legend
But I do require a check for things like climbing walls, largely because falling from said walls hurts even if it only happens 1 time in 20 (or less).
climbing, picking locks, knowing info that requires a check (both in the moment and in the way of research) all can have major impact in some circumstances but be little more then filler fluff in others (nothing up the climb, nothing behind door, the question asked doesn't really matter) but still are things that I can see times that I would call for the check... I am sure there are others...

heck just bards performing... that I would say in my experience 60+% of the time is just fluff...

pemerton

Legend
Well, if there are no stakes, then the outcomes are functionally, at least in terms of game's agenda, equivalent. That would be my definition of 'inconsequential'. My personal answer to this is simply free narration. The player narrates what his character does. He's free to explain the outcomes based on his abilities and whatnot. I'd stipulate that players are obliged to stick to 'appropriate fiction' (IE no describing your plate armor-equipped tank of a paladin sneaking around in his armor).
I'm becoming increasingly interested in the PbtA structure of alternating between GM soft moves (when everyone looks at the GM to see what happens next, including many player action declarations), player moves (which occur when but only when a particular sort of fictional trigger occurs, which ought to be thematically salient if the game has been properly designed), and GM hard moves (which occur on failed player-side moves, or when everyone looks at the GM to see what happens next having handed a golden opportunity on a silver platter).

I don't think this is the only possible approach; but it really foregrounds the process of pushing things toward some sort of crunch point.

In non-PbtA, scene-framed play, something is definitely wrong if the GM is saying 'yes' too much of the time. Just as the PbtA GM's soft moves should be channelling things towards player move-invoking action declarations, so a scene-framing GM's scene should be channelling things towards player action declarations that put something at stake and hence generate a demand that the dice be rolled.

Hanging around in the zone of inconsequential action declarations is really a sign of degeneracy of some sort, at least in the context of "story now" play (maybe in some highly performative neotrad play it makes sense, as that zone creates a safe space for players to show off their character conceptions).

Remove ads