D&D 5E Roleplaying in D&D 5E: It’s How You Play the Game

clearstream

(He, Him)
Also, “letting it ride” (by which I assume you mean roll when the attempt is narrated, then carry that roll until it is contested) suggests a non-binary use of the d20, similar to how @HammerMan has described it. That is, a 13 is a “better effort/result” than a 12. Which is fine if that’s how you like to play, but not how the rules say.
As an interesting digression, I've noticed a few different ways the d20 roll is used in 5th
  • to decide success or failure, as with most ability checks
  • to set a standing result that will potentially be compared with multiple other scores, as with stealth
  • to gauge the degree of success, as with carousing (downtime)
  • and of course, passively, which is similar to a standing result taking 10
And to demystify, I did mean that I defer the check until it matters, and let it ride from there (if not broken at that point). Same with stealth. It works well at the table, for much the reasons @AbdulAlhazred listed.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Better to resolve whether the disguise is effective at the point where it matters in my view (in other words, where the meaningful consequences for failure are to be realized). Otherwise, you're in a situation where the player rolled poorly and wants to try again. The DM is now in the position of either having them do that and watching them roll repeatedly till they're happy with a particular result or saying they can't because uh something something metagaming and/or implementing some kind of "let it ride" house rule the player is expected to play along with.
Generally agree, noting that you can let it ride from the point the check is made, if not broken then. Stealth likewise.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Generally agree, noting that you can let it ride from the point the check is made, if not broken then. Stealth likewise.
Letting it ride doesn't make a lot of sense in my view. It makes some sense in a combat situation for a Hide action, particularly as it comes with an action cost, but outside of a time constraint like combat action economy, why not let the player continue retrying in many cases? Or is the player just supposed to play along with that 7 Intelligence (Disguise Kit) result, crooked fake mustache and all? For my part, because I'm not rolling unless there's a meaningful consequence for failure to resolve right now, there's no issue. We'll roll when it's relevant.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Letting it ride doesn't make a lot of sense in my view. It makes some sense in a combat situation for a Hide action, particularly as it comes with an action cost, but outside of a time constraint like combat action economy, why not let the player continue retrying in many cases? Or is the player just supposed to play along with that 7 Intelligence (Disguise Kit) result, crooked fake mustache and all? For my part, because I'm not rolling unless there's a meaningful consequence for failure to resolve right now, there's no issue. We'll roll when it's relevant.
That's reasonable. As a reminder, Stealth reads (in part):

Until you are discovered or you stop hiding, that check's total is contested by the Wisdom (Perception) check of any creature that actively searches for signs of your presence.
Which is what I mean by letting it ride. JC confirmed the intent in his piece on Stealth awhile back. Which does not mean it is always the best and only way to play!

clearstream

(He, Him)
How so? Player calls an action, DM decides if a Dex(Stealth) check is made. Is there some variation I'm missing?
In combat, if DM has described circumstances in which it is possible for you to Hide (dim light for example, with Skulker) then you can invoke the Hide action and you make a check. That's one variation. Such cases are littered throughout the rules.

Voadam

Legend
Eh, acting on stage is literally playing a role, but it’s not exactly roleplaying as the term is generally used. I would say it’s more roleplaying-adjacent.
Sure acting with a specific script, direction, and lines is not exactly the way roleplaying is generally done in RPGs, but improv acting is a great description/analogy/metaphor for roleplaying in an RPG.

In improv it can be completely created by the actors ("I am Jorge the Dog-Handler"), or it can be based on outside cues and directions (such as prompts from the audience or another person on the stage) "I'd better ask Jorge the dog-handler." "That is me, I am Jorge. What is your doggy emergency?"
You’re imagining yourself as the character, but you’re not making decisions as you imagine the character would do; you’re sort of reenacting decisions that have already been made for you and that you’ve reverse-engineered motivations for based on how you imagine the character and what would lead them to make those specific decisions.
That seems to describe exactly a roll the dice then roleplay out the result approach to RPG roleplaying.
That processes of constructing the character and their motivations may involve roleplaying though, especially if the actor employs some variation of Stanislavski’s system (commonly referred to as “method acting”).

Remove ads