WotC Roll 4 Combat: Hasbro/WotC was offered 20 million for D&D at the nadir of 4e.

ECMO3

Hero
It's over 500 mill in revenue a year, this year, using the public statements that are enforced by law.

Just to make sure we are clear, you are claiming $500M in D&D revenue specifically (not WOTC revenue). Do you have a link for that?

Hasbro reported $1.1B for all WOTC and Digital Gaming revenue combined through 3 quarters of 2023. Hasbro stated specifically that: "Strong growth in Digital and Licensed Gaming revenue behind Baldur's Gate III from Larian Studios and to a lesser extent Monopoly Go! from Scopely ..... Tabletop revenue increased 18% behind growth in MAGIC: THE GATHERING including Wilds of Eldraine and Commander Masters releases and continued strong sales of Universes Beyond including The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth sets .... Universes Beyond The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earthcontinues to perform well."

They also provided data on their brands. Their 4 franchise brands combined (D&D, Transformers, MTG and Hasbro Gaming) combined for $1B in revenue through 3 quarters.

They did not mention D&D specifically at all in terms of revenue or profit, while they called out other products. Given that it is $1.1B total through 3 quarters and D&D is not even called out at all, I think it very unlikely that D&D alone is $500M per year.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Their stance against AI art is really going to make it difficult for them to compete in terms of a cost basis in the future.
I doubt that very much, for a small indie that might make a difference, but at their scale that is a rounding error

They have about 50% profit rate, if this stays flat instead of increasing by .5% or so because of this decision, no one will notice

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Just to make sure we are clear, you are claiming $500M in D&D revenue specifically (not WOTC revenue). Do you have a link for that?

Hasbro reported $1.1B for all WOTC and Digital Gaming revenue combined through 3 quarters of 2023. Hasbro stated specifically that: "Strong growth in Digital and Licensed Gaming revenue behind Baldur's Gate III from Larian Studios and to a lesser extent Monopoly Go! from Scopely ..... Tabletop revenue increased 18% behind growth in MAGIC: THE GATHERING including Wilds of Eldraine and Commander Masters releases and continued strong sales of Universes Beyond including The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth sets .... Universes Beyond The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earthcontinues to perform well."

They also provided data on their brands. Their 4 franchise brands combined (D&D, Transformers, MTG and Hasbro Gaming) combined for $1B in revenue through 3 quarters.

They did not mention D&D specifically at all in terms of revenue or profit, while they called out other products. Given that it is $1.1B total through 3 quarters and D&D is not even called out at all, I think it very unlikely that D&D alone is $500M per year.
Franchise brands, of which D&D is one, was at 2.413 billion year to date. We already know that Magic is a billion per year. When you tug at all the available math, D&D, which was up 100% in Q3, you're looking at an annual earnings for the brand of around 500 million.

Page 11 for the Franchise brands value.

If D&D is only 10% of WotC total revenue, that would put it at 110 in Q3 for example.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Franchise brands, of which D&D is one, was at 2.413 billion year to date. We already know that Magic is a billion per year. When you tug at all the available math, D&D, which was up 100% in Q3, you're looking at an annual earnings for the brand of around 500 million.

Page 11 for the Franchise brands value.

If D&D is only 10% of WotC total revenue, that would put it at 110 in Q3 for example.
I'll note that this is almost identical to a claim you made a few months back, and which I noted before includes several assumptions, most of which include overlooking how "franchise brands" includes "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, Hasbro Gaming, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF, PEPPA PIG, PLAY-DOH and TRANSFORMERS."

Notably, "Hasbro Gaming" doesn't seem to be defined here, but if it's the same as "Hasbro Games" then it includes Monopoly, Clue(do), Jenga, and several other titles, including (from what I can tell) licensed and branded content for them. So essentially, we're being given a revenue total for a large number of brands, a major portion of which you're assigning to D&D without much basis for it.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I'll note that this is almost identical to a claim you made a few months back, and which I noted before includes several assumptions, most of which include overlooking how "franchise brands" includes "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, Hasbro Gaming, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF, PEPPA PIG, PLAY-DOH and TRANSFORMERS."

Notably, "Hasbro Gaming" doesn't seem to be defined here, but if it's the same as "Hasbro Games" then it includes Monopoly, Clue(do), Jenga, and several other titles, including (from what I can tell) licensed and branded content for them. So essentially, we're being given a revenue total for a large number of brands, a major portion of which you're assigning to D&D without much basis for it.

The video uses 150 million for D&D.

At obevpoint Bedir was including revenue for the more and BG3.
That's not WotC revenue and the movie distorts things. WotC movie revenue was -25 million.
If I'm buying D&D from WotC I don't care about the movies revenue (well it list money that's cheaper offer) and Larians income from BG3.

I do care about WotC income from BG3.

Scribe

Legend
I would agree. WOTC also has made some decisions regarding IP and efficiency that really undercut profitability.

Their stance against AI art is really going to make it difficult for them to compete in terms of a cost basis in the future.
Lol, compete with whom?

Remove ads