• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolling Treasure for low CR monsters

Elsairon

First Post
The DB treasure tables are based on levels, I guess using the Encounter Level of the monsters as the value. What about a single monster (for example, 1 orc), that is only 1/3 or 1/2 a CR, and nor even EL 1, (as far as I can tell.)

Is rolling a level one treasure and dividing by 2 or 3 the stand procedure here?

Elsairon

First Post
What I did the first session was not roll treasure for the low CR random encounters, as I figured they left most of thier loot back in the lair.

I may roll up some for room encounters, and give sentient beings a couple golds during a random encounter once in a while (for those that are not leveled)

Flyspeck23

First Post
You could divide the treasure, and if it's gold that shouldn't be a problem. But don't divide the items (if any) ;)

Personally I don't bother with these treasures. The party will be packed with gold and stuff when they leave the dungeon anyway :D

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
Personally I don't bother with these treasures. The party will be packed with gold and stuff when they leave the dungeon anyway :D

Ah, but one can never have enough gold. The group I'm going through with right now is level 5, and one of them still hasn't made a single major purchase, yet he has around 6,000 GP

The most he's ever spent is enough to but a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds. I'm saving up to buy him a suit of Mithral Full Plate. :cool:

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Another Similar Thought

Flyspeck23 said:
You could divide the treasure, and if it's gold that shouldn't be a problem. But don't divide the items (if any) ;)

Although this issue isn't about fractional CR's, its similar. What do you recommend for situations such as APL 4 Quest Room Encounter #4?

Its a Mummy (CR 5) and a Human Cleric 3, for an EL 6 encounter. The mummy has standard treasure, and the cleric has equipment instead. I've been giving a full EL 6 treasure roll since Mummy Rot is sooo nasty.

(I've come across this encounter three times with the same party. I figure the only reason I've survived it is the Warlock I'm using and his touch attacks.)

Remove ads