Rope tied to an arrow

Stormonu

Legend
Back in 2E, there were stats for stone-biter arrows. In 3E, you could probably use adamantine heads to get a grip in stone or other material. In any case, you'd probably want (hollow) metal-shafted arrows instead of wooden one.

Crossbows would probably be an even better bet, especially if you could make/find a "grappling hook" type bolt. Think of a harpoon gun.

Finally, hemp rope would be a bad idea to have it attached to the arrow. Either a lead line of string attached to the rope (or a pared down strand) or silk rope would be much better.

MarauderX

Explorer
Ok, for the arrow & rope used to make an anchor in a wall, I've set the base DC to be mid paragon hard, then will add to it for materials. Also I'm going with distance reduction down to one quarter, with 1 square additions for using certain materials.
On the shoot a guy as a grab, I'm basing it on monster grab powers with an escape DC equal to PC reflex, with movement allowed up to the center of the anchor point.
I have a feeling I'll be seeing this again and again, so a good baseline would be nice to have.

Artoomis

First Post
There is no reasonable way this can work if it is intended to be to climbable.

I think this should be run like a ritual - it takes minutes to get it set up and do it and involves a grapnel, some light cord, rope and some sort of pulley to be able to pull on the light cord to pull the rope up into position until one can finally use it to climb..

Generally not useful in combat.

underfoot007ct

First Post
There is no reasonable way this can work if it is intended to be to climbable.

I think this should be run like a ritual - it takes minutes to get it set up and do it and involves a grapnel, some light cord, rope and some sort of pulley to be able to pull on the light cord to pull the rope up into position until one can finally use it to climb..

Generally not useful in combat.

i agree, an arrow weighs a few ounces with a straight wooden shaft. i doubt an arrow could pull a ROPE more than a dozen feet. a knot would simply pull right off the arrow, nothing is there to keep the rope from pulling off. I know we play a fantasy game but real world physics still apply.

the item being created is like a modern fishing bow, which uses ultra light fishing line and a fishing reel. maybe a large ballista could fire a iron bolt with a loop to tie a rope to might be closer to what the OP wants.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, I'd say arrow = wrong tool for the job. You'd probably be better off modifying a javelin - basically turning it into a harpoon.

Remove ads