Roseport - A Town Map

MechaPilot

Explorer
My players (after being transported from FR to my homebrew setting) are finally starting to explore the world around them. Consequently, I needed to make a town for them to begin their new adventures from. Since I just finished inking and scanning the map, I figured I'd share it here. If any of you need a town map (non-commercially), feel free to use it. Also, because I'm still trying to get better at mapmaking, any comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

[sblock]
Roseport.png
[/sblock]

As I'm using it, the town is called Roseport. It's a small port town established by a ginger pirate named Davin Russhame, a.k.a. Red Hammer (He lives in the section to the north), who was made Lord Governor of Roseport and the surrounding territory by the emperor*. The section in the southwest is the harbor and warehouse district. The circular structure in that district is a lighthouse. The square structure in the center of that district is the temple to Mari, my setting's goddess of the seas. The squares in the water are stone towers built as defensive structures. The ones with bows drawn on them are topped by ballista for use in attacking enemy ships.

The town is walled off from the surrounding jungle, with guardposts along the walls (the squares along the walls). The Lord Governor plans to expand the town, hence the stone towers in the water not yet topped by ballista. As part of this plan the wall in the northeast will be expanded straight to the western and southern coasts, making more room for warehousing, docks, and general living and mercantile space.

The small circle in the center of town is a statue of the Lord Governer; its construction is not yet complete. The crooked building north of the statue is the Lord Governor's office. His administrative assistant is an often drunk fellow who like shoot at a dartboard with his hand crossbow while he drinks away the day. Those who carelessly enter the office after 10 am run the risk of being accidentally shot by the drunkard.

Lord Russhame has appointed to key positions in town trusted members of his old pirate crew. The government is crooked, and bribery can get you much. The Lord Governor is also skimming taxes from what he remits to the empire, citing attacks from goblins living in the jungles as depressing the earning power of local businesses. While the goblins have built a fortified settlement to the east and do occasionally come into conflict with Roseport citizens, the goblins were driven from their home by the dark elves and are just trying to make a new life for themselves underground (The entry to their new home is in a cliff face several days east of Roseport, stairs have been cut into the cliff face up to the main entrance).

* The empire is located in the southeast of the continent while Roseport is in the northwest and separated by mountains and many miles of other kingdoms (including those belonging to the elves, dark elves, dwarves, ophiliths, and goblins). Roseport in the empire's most recent attempt at expanding their borders, and privateers from Roseport frequently harass merchant ships from the elf nation a couple hundred miles to the south.

pogre

Legend
Also, because I'm still trying to get better at mapmaking, any comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

An indication of scale would be helpful to me.

Once the expansion is complete - it will be better, but in the present campaign time the town is incredibly vulnerable to attack. Particularly from the north. I see this as easily explained away by a pirate being in charge and having no real idea how to build a fortification. However, if you wanted a stouter design for a waterside port check out some of the old Spanish forts in Latin America and Florida for inspiration.

MechaPilot

Explorer
An indication of scale would be helpful to me.

Once the expansion is complete - it will be better, but in the present campaign time the town is incredibly vulnerable to attack. Particularly from the north. I see this as easily explained away by a pirate being in charge and having no real idea how to build a fortification. However, if you wanted a stouter design for a waterside port check out some of the old Spanish forts in Latin America and Florida for inspiration.

I agree that would be helpful for the viewer/user. Thank you.

Also, thank you for the tip about old forts.

I do agree the town isn't well fortified. The town was founded just 18 years ago, and it was founded in a jungle region, meaning they had to clear a lot of dense foliage before building. The fortifications were hastily constructed, and they haven't really been challenged by anyone yet. The goblins to the east have been a pest in that they've prevented the people of the town from expanding to the east. The town is in dire need of farms to help support it. As of right now, they import all their food, except for what they catch from the sea (though the lord governor has a garden in his area, so he eats better than most, which is not a surprise for a ruler).

The lord governor is mostly concerned with attacks from sea: several privateers operate out of Roseport, harassing elvish ships in the region, and the lord governor's biggest defensive concern (whether rightly or not) is naval retribution from the elves.

It reminds me of the small towns in the piratey Assassin's Creed games.

(That's a good thing)

That is an interesting coincidence; I've actually never played any of the Assassin's Creed games.

Remove ads