RPG Fitness (At-Home Workouts)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If you're like me, you are probably:
  • a fan of role-playing games,
  • unable to go to the gym right now,
  • looking for ways to exercise at home, but
  • find home workouts to be immensely boring, and
  • wish there was a way to make exercise more like a game.
Well I certainly am, anyway.

In these troubling times, I'd like to recommend my favorite home workout website, Darebee. They are a completely free online fitness resource with thousands of workouts and fitness programs that you can do at home, for people of every age, ability, and body type. They have nutrition info, meal plans, and recipes for nearly every dietary restriction. They have a whole library of videos that demonstrate their workouts to help you check your form, daily challenges and "dares," helpful articles, and a thriving online forum that spans the world. Did I mention it's completely free? They don't even have ads.

But far and above, the thing I like most about them: they have several RPG-themed workouts and Fitness Programs that you can do right at home. And here's a link to some of them, along with my own unsolicited opinion that nobody asked for.

Hero's Journey ⭐⭐⭐
Their first RPG fitness program, "Hero's Journey" is a 60-day program that starts easy but gradually becomes more difficult, and the decisions you make will have consequences later on. There isn't much of a story to follow--you are an unnamed Hero, on an unspecified Journey to prove yourself. Choose one or more "weapons" to add a little more challenge and structure to your routine. Along the way you might hatch a dragon, fend off assassins, save a town from a fiery doom, or fail completely and have to start over--all depending on which workouts you choose.

I give it 3 stars. It is the first Darebee program I've ever done, and it's the one I keep coming back to because of its versatility. Since 2016, I've completed it three times and counting.

Age of Pandora ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Their second RPG fitness program is a 30 or 60-day post-apocalyptic adventure. You assume the role of a hero who must fight to survive the harsh, war-and-pollution landscape and learn the mystery of how you survived and why. It is also an "open world" type of adventure, where you can "travel" to different areas of the maps by doing certain workouts or jogging. It is an improvement in every way over the Hero's Journey: better story, better interface, better scoring, and more options. Five stars, easy.

This one is the best one on their website, in my opinion...but it's also the hardest one I've ever done. Traveling around the map almost always involves a good deal of cardio work, and once you finish you still have the actual daily workout to do. I've only completed the first half, and it's a beast...but I had a lot of fun.

Carbon and Dust ⭐⭐
This action-adventure workout is only 30 days long, but it is quite a bit harder than the other two (it is marked "Not Suitable for Beginners"). The story takes place in the distant future, where mankind has spread across the galaxy and corporations control nearly everything. The story is more developed and engaging than the others, with a lot more reading involved...but it is more of a short story than anything else, since there aren't any real decisions or consequences.

I started it, but never finished it. The workouts weren't the problem, they weren't as challenging as I feared they would be, but the lack of decisions and consequences didn't really grab me. 2 stars.

-----

Anyway. I hope that wherever you are, you are staying safe and sane and healthy. If you're feeling cooped up and lethargic, maybe getting some exercise will help...and to that end, maybe some of these links can be of use.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I work out at home a lot.

A super simple one is just do 100 pushups per day. At first it might be a few at a time, eventually you'll do them in one go. But the idea is you keep track, and just make sure you do 100 every day.

Aerobic stuff is harder indoors, of course.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I work out at home a lot.

A super simple one is just do 100 pushups per day. At first it might be a few at a time, eventually you'll do them in one go. But the idea is you keep track, and just make sure you do 100 every day.

Aerobic stuff is harder indoors, of course.
Agreed, about the only way I've been able to keep a reliable fitness plan was to work out from home. I'm the sort of person that needs a lot of structure and variety (I'm ADHD), so just doing one thing every day wouldn't work for me. But at your suggestion, I'm gonna try to see how long it takes me to do 100 pushups today. Starting now! (EDIT: It took me 1 hour, 17 minutes, and 08 seconds)

Aerobic is harder to do, for sure. Jumping jacks and high knees can only do so much, and they only work a specific set of muscles. These formatted workouts on Darebee are pretty helpful for me.

Here's a paladin that @lowkey13 is guaranteed to hate.

1584655137842.png

Last edited:

Guang

Explorer
My kid has been doing workouts with Black Panther, Harry Potter, Obi Wan, and more through this youtube channel:

It looks like a lot of fun, and is part of his online homework from his primary school.

I really need to start something myself soon. I really didn't expect everything closed down for so long, with everyone expected to mainly stay at home for over a month now. I used to get my excercise naturally, through normal daily activities.

Remove ads