RPG News for Thursday, 31 March, 2011

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[title]Review of Hunting Deathcloud[/title]

Check out EN World's official review of Sneak Attack Press' 4E paragon tier adventure, Hunting Deathcloud.
I have to say that I am really impressed with Hunting Deathcloud by Sneak Attack Press, and I think it is a great example of how to put together a very exciting high level adventure. Although the presentation is fairly simple, the writing and encounter designs are well thought out, and the final encounter, with its multi-tiered map, seems almost to guarantee a memorable play experience for any D&D E gaming group. And modestly priced at well under 5 bucks, this adventure should be well worth considering for any DM looking for a way to fill a few game sessions in his high level D&D campaign.
[title]I Want My Magic Back![/title]

Coming very soon to EN World subscribers is a brand new series of articles. I Want My Magic Back! by Sigfried Trent is designed to bring the wonder and old-school feel of Vancian magic into 4th Edition, and will present the new class - the Mage - and convert every single wizard/sorcerer spell from 3E. The first article will introduce the series and present the Mage itself, and the many subsequent articles will delve into the spells themselves, paragon paths, named Mages of lore, and so much more.

We're pretty much throwing the 4E design ethos out of the window on this one. The spells will have their old school mix of offense, defense, utility and more; effects will be varied and interesting rather than "do some damage and apply a condition (save ends)", the old schools of magic and specialization are back (although slightly different), and the spell names will be colorful and evocative - think Lady Vile's Touch of the Grave, Grabriazar's Devilish Beguilement, and Armador's Marvellous Explosive Conflagration rather than vampiric touch, charm person, and fireball.*

*We kinda had to do this anyway - the 4E license means that we can't redefine "fireball", "magic missile" and the like, so since we had to rename them anyway, we thought we'd go the whole hog and give them wondrous Vancian names and descriptions rather than utilitarian descriptors.

[title]In Other News...[/title]
  • :rpg: Reason 2 Every Gamer Should Live in England: The Selborne Arms The next part of Charles Ryan's series detailing the aspects of England which inspired his gaming in his 4-year stay.
  • :4e: A Dead Age Teaser Check out this sneak-peek at this upcoming D&D 4E campaign setting, where humans are long gone, and only their sentient creations live on in the decaying ruins of The Time Before, fighting to survive in a Dead Age!
  • :4e: This template is Legen...wait for it...Dary! Try a template for your creatures to make them truly awe-inspiring to behold and the thought of harming them hard for most to conceive-- the Legendary Template.
  • :4e: The Foursaken Faeries Designer Joshua Zaback provides 4th edition stats for three of the lesser-known fey of folklore. Included are the Vila, Rusalka, and Vodnik.
  • :pf: Faces of the Tarnished Souk Blades for hire! When the best-laid plans of kings and conquerors get bogged down in the dirty details, Elspeth Black offers heavy-handed solutions to hard-to-solve problems.
  • :pf: Dark Oak Dare you battle the deranged, drug-addled lizardfolk of the Dark Oak? Dark Oak is Raging Swans first Dual PDF release and is an adventure for 5<SUP>th</SUP>-level characters. Starting with Dark Oak, Raging Swan Press will be providing its customers with two PDFs when they purchase a product. One PDF is optimised for printing and use on a normal computer while the other is optimised for use on mobile devices such as Ipads. In the coming weeks, Raging Swan will upgrade its back catalogue to offer dual format PDFs.
  • :rpg: Get Ahead of the Curve How did your hero's blade come to be? Check out the origins of the single-edged sword on today's Historical Steel.

Last edited:

Remove ads