• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Style Question

Which would you prefer?

• Choice #1

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Choice #2

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No Preference

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.7%

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I chose Option #4. We have a fairly large game room with multiple tables that serve various functions on game day.

The DM sits at a desk facing the rest of the tables. The desk is standard size allowing multiple books to be laid out and open for easy access. Though, it does require four DM screens to block view.

We have a second 4'x8' table that holds modular terrain pieces. We generally do not use square grids for movement opting instead for measuring movement a la Warhammer and other miniature wargames.

We have an additional 4'x6' table that serves as a back-up should we need additional wilderness terrain space or if encounters will be running simultaneously in different settings. (Such as the wilderness outside the dungeon as well as the rooms immediately inside the dungeon. Play may progress back and forth between the two tables.) This table also can serve as our chips, soda, crock pot table.

Finally, we have an additional three 4'x6' tables where the players sit. With five to six players a session this allows ample room for books, character sheet, laptops, dice, etc.

We have about a dozen office chairs floating around the room for seating.

I'm not even quite sure what is meant by a DM "station" being apart from the group - some sort of throne from which the DM hands down judgement from on high?

Not so much a throne but a very comfortable office chair!

A flannel shirt

First Post
It is easier to show then explain fully. My fault for not being too clear.

I hope the images works. Borrowing them from ENWorld Chicago Gameday's Photos.

#1 The group sits around one table together; there is a battle mat in the middle, miniatures, scenery, and a DM/ST/GM at one end of the table behind a screen. Pentius and Oryan77 have the best examples.

Combat to RPing % is 55:45. I don't put too much stock in this due to the games can be all combat or all RPing but this ratio is close.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...23425024_121115257958924_205765_3004718_n.jpg

#1 is summed up as balanced between RPing and combat sitting around a table with minis and grid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 The group sits around their own table and on a couch or chair. A DM/ST/GM is sitting at a “Station” that is the head of the room. The game is centered around story telling. No maps, miniatures, or grid. JamesonCourage and Jacob Marley's responses are the best examples.

Combat to RPing % is 20:80 I don't put too much stock in this due to the games can be all combat or all RPing but this ratio is close.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...26758347_121115257958924_205768_3765011_n.jpg

If the picture works look at the guy in the black bandana.
Now imagine this but on the other side of the room and the players around the room sitting at their own little areas.

#2 is summed up as more RPing than combat with each person sitting around their own table without minis or a grid.

I like both ways, just wondering what others DO or prefer.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've done plenty of both over the years. But I have to say that I somewhat prefer to sit closer around a table even when playing a more storytelling-sort of tame. Being closer to the action, even if just verbal/mental keeps everyone in the game a bit more, in my experience.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
#2 The group sits around their own table and on a couch or chair. A DM/ST/GM is sitting at a “Station” that is the head of the room. The game is centered around story telling. No maps, miniatures, or grid. JamesonCourage and Jacob Marley's responses are the best examples.

Combat to RPing % is 20:80 I don't put too much stock in this due to the games can be all combat or all RPing but this ratio is close.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...26758347_121115257958924_205768_3765011_n.jpg

If the picture works look at the guy in the black bandana.
Now imagine this but on the other side of the room and the players around the room sitting at their own little areas.

#2 is summed up as more RPing than combat with each person sitting around their own table without minis or a grid.

While I agree that our game room set-up is much closer to your description of #2, I disagree with the notion that that means we favor roleplaying to combat in the ratio you are suggesting. Our game runs much closer to 50:50 than 20:80. I am not so sure that there is a correlation between game room set-up and the ratio of roleplaying to combat.

What our set-up allows us is a) more room to spread out so that we do not crowd one another, b) a seperate terrain table that we can all walk around to gain different vantage points during combat, and c) the ability to have multiple combat locations set up simultaneously thereby allowing combat to flow from location to location with minimal downtime. Hence, why I voted #4 rather than #2.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I voted #1 but my true choice is closer to 1.5.

The players all sit at the kitchen table with the battlemat and 6 packages of cookies. While I, as the DM, sit nearby at the island/bar/counter (depends on the house) with my laptop, books, notes, and whatever pizza/Chinese food is left.

Just as often though, I'm sitting at the table with them while we're roleplaying. Or they're not sitting - they're nervously pacing during battle. Any time we're out of our usual chairs is awesome.

Oryan77

Adventurer
#1 The group sits around one table together; there is a battle mat in the middle, miniatures, scenery, and a DM/ST/GM at one end of the table behind a screen. Pentius and Oryan77 have the best examples.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...23425024_121115257958924_205765_3004718_n.jpg

Dude, I'm much better looking than the DM in that pic. Plus my players are a lot happier looking than those guys. Maybe that's why we make that setup work?

But to critique that pic in more detail:

First, the guy in the suit looks like he's trying to peak at the DMs notes. So I'd have to kick him out. Plus, who wears a suit to a D&D game? He looks too important to be playing D&D. Next thing you know he's going to be eating crumpets and drinking tea. You know he's not bringing the Cheetos and Mt. Dew. So he's gone.

Then there is the guy to the left texting on his cell phone. He's getting kicked out of the group too. He's either texting his mom or posting online for spoilers on the DMs adventure. Either way, his focus isn't on the game. So he's gone.

The two guys in the front seem to be playing their own game with each other (looks like footsies to me). They definitely are not paying attention to the DMs concentrated and elaborate telling of an obviously important boxed text moment in the game. I have no time for foolishness, so they'd both be gone.

That leaves me with Bill; he looks like a Bill and I'm pretty sure his nametag says "Bill". But then, he's wearing a nametag. Either he forgets his own name and needs the nametag, he thinks the DM is an imbecile and needs the reminder, or he likes to have his character name on the tag so other players won't keep forgetting it. Either way, it's very annoying and I think I'd have to get rid of him.

It sucks too cause it looks like a really good Pathfinder game.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I voted #2.

We don't really have a table in most of the setups we've used. Usually the DM gets a relatively swanky chair and everyone else sits on a couch or other chairs. Books are thrown on the ground wherever convenient. Dice are rolled on books or folders. On the rare occasion we use a grid, that's on the floor too.

I've occasionally played at a table but I don't like to. I would never use a DM screen. I try to avoid using battlemaps. In reference to the OP's 1 vs. 2 distinction, my setup and game are definitely focused on storytelling.

steenan

Adventurer
I voted #2, for several reasons:

- I don't like miniatures and battle mats. Even for combat-heavy play, I prefer systems that are less about tactical positioning and more about fluid action.
- I rarely see tables big enough to comfortably play with more than 3 players. You need much more space to comfortably play than to, for example, comfortably eat a dinner.
- I'm usually the GM. In general, I have a lot of notes and need some space for them, or I tend to stand up, walk around and gesture a lot, and sometimes both. I prefer to sit separately.
- I prefer gaming style that many people here call "storytelling" to combat-oriented one. It's not that I never play D&D or something similar, but such games are definitely not on the top of my list.

Remove ads