#RPGaDAY Day 24: Share a PWYW publisher who should be charging more?

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 24 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 24 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

#RPGaDAY Question 24: Share a PWYW publisher who should be charging more?

Angus Abranson: I’m sadly not really up on the PWYW games. I’ve certainly seen some, and have brought some, but haven’t really had a chance to explore, or read, them properly. I know Evil Hat do a bunch – and given the quality of their other books it’s testament to them as a company wanting to support (and grow) their fan base that they offer such professional quality books as PWYW. I m, however, going to go with the most recent PWYW book that I brought – and the print version was also available on PWYW – and that was Convicts & Cthulhu – a third party Call of Cthulhu supplement exploring the British Empires Australian penal colonies between 1795 to 1810.

Ken Spencer (Rocket Age; Why Not Games): Evil Hat does a lot of settings as PWYW and they are worth a lot more.

Simon Burley (Golden Heroes, The Super Hack): Polar Blues. Creator of BOUNTY HUNTERS OF THE ATOMIC WASTELAND (et al.) This isn't an accurate response to the request because - go to a search engine, type in the above title and BANG - you've got a free PDF of the game. Not PWYW. Free. And it's not some scrappy "pocket mod". No. This is a fully playable book equivalent to the Cakebread and Walton "One Dice" books and far more substantial than all the "Hacks" we're currently selling. I've had my issues with FATE, but BHOTAW makes FATE make sense. It's simple, playable and thoroughly charming. Set in a gonzo post apocalyptic setting which is a mash up of Judge Dredd's "Cursed Earth", Mad Max and Westerns with a touch of Monty Python thrown in. Illustrated by the author himself. At first the pictures might seem unprofessional but they produce a consistency similar to the artwork in the aforementioned One Dice books, ICONS and other similar products. They add to the charm of the product. If this was published by one of the big publishing houses it'd be very successful. I think - and I've expressed this to the author - that giving it away for free creates a false impression of its true value. I haven't read his other games (Mutant Bikers of the Atomic Wasteland, Cyber Blues City) but I'm sure they're equally as worthy of sale. I do hope he isn't upset by me drawing attention to his work like this.

Martin Greening (Azure Keep, Ruma: Dawn of Empire): Levi Kornelsen makes some really awesome, and concise, roleplaying products that are worth way more than the PWYW he charges. His Situations for Tabletop Roleplaying and Mechanisms for Tabletop Roleplaying are great for presenting ideas for GMs to mine.

Simon Brake (Stygian Fox): Not really sure. Evil Hat seem to have a great range of FATE settings, and it seems to be an elegant enough system and, although I don’t use it myself, I know a lot of people who do.

Garry Harper (Modiphius Entertainment; The Role Play Haven): All of them, we don't get paid much in this industry and can only be done for love and support from the community.

Eran Aviram (Up to Four Players; City of Mist): Evil Hat! Everyone else wrote Evil Hat as well, right?

Originally created by Dave Chapman (Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space; Conspiracy X) #RPGaDAY os now being caretakered by the crew over at RPGBrigade. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too!

Abstruse

Legend
Ack! Missed the call for submissions for this one! My answer:

None. The entire concept of “Pay What You Want” is built around people providing content without regard to monetary awards and relying on the fans to determine its value in order to support those producing the content. I mean, the publishers CHOSE to do that. No one forced them into PWYW. If they wanted $2 or $5 or $15 for their book, they could’ve set those prices. That means the creator of the content has decided that, through the support and generosity of the fans, they’re monetizing enough to continue making content. So support the creators as much as you're able for the enjoyment you get from their products!

Mercule

Adventurer
Personal answer: None... I hope.

I use PWYW in the same way that I thumb through books in the store: see what's inside and then buy if I like. This is one of the big bumps with the PDF/digital market. Without being able to thumb through it, I'm probably not going to pay $20 for a PDF. There are exceptions, but it's because I'm already pretty confident of what's in there and mostly for nostalgia products (some of the older D&D stuff, especially Eberron, that I either regret having sold or just missed the first run). If the publisher sets a lower price, whether free or $5, it kills that barrier, but doesn't carry the message that I should drop more in the tip jar if I like it. The PWYW model definitely does.

I wonder what the conversion rate is, though. I'm not even sure you could reasonably track it. I've got a couple Fate products where I did a $0 PWYW then went to the game store and bought the physical product. Because they have a "buy the book, get the PDF" policy, I didn't feel like it was cheating to not go back to the tip jar. I hope most folks taking advantage of PWYW are paying for the products they use.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Personal answer: None... I hope.

I use PWYW in the same way that I thumb through books in the store: see what's inside and then buy if I like. This is one of the big bumps with the PDF/digital market. Without being able to thumb through it, I'm probably not going to pay $20 for a PDF. There are exceptions, but it's because I'm already pretty confident of what's in there and mostly for nostalgia products (some of the older D&D stuff, especially Eberron, that I either regret having sold or just missed the first run). If the publisher sets a lower price, whether free or $5, it kills that barrier, but doesn't carry the message that I should drop more in the tip jar if I like it. The PWYW model definitely does.

I wonder what the conversion rate is, though. I'm not even sure you could reasonably track it. I've got a couple Fate products where I did a $0 PWYW then went to the game store and bought the physical product. Because they have a "buy the book, get the PDF" policy, I didn't feel like it was cheating to not go back to the tip jar. I hope most folks taking advantage of PWYW are paying for the products they use.

I've had a product up as PWYW for something close to 6 months. I was lucky when I had any given month net me 10% of the purchasers as being paid purchases, and I got very few reviews or ratings. Since converting it to a flat price, I've gotten more reviews and ratings, and the product received a seller medal which helps with visibility, both of which are very important aspects in ensuring the product even gets seen by potential customers.

It's a much trickier situation than "does it make money, and do people actually pay." I've found that the money doesn't matter much, but no, the people won't pay 90% of the time, and because of that, it's even harder for people to find the thing (which is the part I care about the most).

Mercule

Adventurer
It's a much trickier situation than "does it make money, and do people actually pay." I've found that the money doesn't matter much, but no, the people won't pay 90% of the time, and because of that, it's even harder for people to find the thing (which is the part I care about the most).
So, you're saying that even paying $.01 would be significantly better than "browsing" it?

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
So, you're saying that even paying $.01 would be significantly better than "browsing" it?

I'd say it's more like "setting the price at $0.50 or $1.00 is significantly better than relying on browsing." That's a very different sentence, though. PWYW items don't rank the same way, no matter how much people end up paying. Like, if everyone who ever purchased a PWYW item dropped $50 on it, my understanding is that the most popular places that items get merchandised would likely (not in every case, but in a lot of them) ignore that over an item that was a flat $1.00 and got solid sales.

But this depends on the customer, too. Some people shop specifically for PWYW and Free products, so to those people, you might do really well. But that's not the whole customer base, and it may not be the specific customer you're looking to grab. The majority of customers probably (and I'm mostly guessing with this, but it's based on some amount of inside industry knowledge) use a combination of price, ratings/reviews, author name, and (maybe) top-seller medals to judge a product, in addition to the most important piece: subject matter. So all of that, and how they filter all of that, is going to be a big influencer. And the point I guess is that PWYW simply ranks lower, so it's going to show up deeper in whatever that list of filters produces, generally.

There are probably exceptions to all of this, but this is what I've gathered over 1.5+ years of selling stuff through OBS and talking with other, much bigger sellers than myself.

Madmaxneo

Explorer
I am going with what a lot of people are saying on here. PWYW is a good way to get your product out there and noticed and possibly bring more people to purchase your other products. I have quite a few PWYW items from various companies but I have not had the time to review most of them. Only the ones that really catch my eye and I find useful get reviews. For that matter most of the products I have purchased on the RPGNow sites do not get reviews from me. If I did that I would be unable to do anything as I'd be reviewing and writing reviews all day long for months on end...lol.

Remove ads

Remove ads